Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2009, 16:32   #1

Need a Place to Build a Boat

We need a place to build a boat, however we are on a limited budget. Does anyone know of a place where we could do this? Like an old warehouse space or something, maybe even one we could live in while we build. Or maybe someone has some land we could use?
littlerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 19:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Welcome to the Forum...

Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

Could you tell us a little about yourself, where you are, the type of boat that you are building, that sort of thing.

I've built a couple of boats, but finding a good site can be as much luck as good management.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 20:40   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
And where?
Old 28-12-2009, 23:46   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum.
As said...we need way more info.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 09:57   #5

Well, right now we live in Draper, Utah, which is about 20 miles south of Salt Lake. We are looking to build a 40 foot boat out of wood. So we would need a large space, and a way to get the supplies rather easy. Living here is quite expensive because cost of living is so high so finding a place here to build is nearly impossible. Plus almost all marine equipment would have to be shipped because there really isn't anywhere to sail here. We would rather aviod this if possible.
I guess I should explain, my husband and I want to build a boat to live on. So it will take a little time to build it as we are insulating, and building it to be our home for several years.
littlerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 10:34   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I would read about and actually talk to many other one off builders before moving further with this plan...You can buy a 40' ready to sail away boat WAY cheaper then you can build one.

Ask yourself this question...." Do we want to sail and live aboard or do we WANT to build a boat?"

If its the latter carry on...if its the former drop the idea.

Just my 2cents worth of reality......Welcome aboard.

PS: Whatever you have calculated in construction cost ...triple it and you will be close.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 11:04   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I would read about and actually talk to many other one off builders before moving further with this plan...You can buy a 40' ready to sail away boat WAY cheaper then you can build one.

Ask yourself this question...." Do we want to sail and live aboard or do we WANT to build a boat?"

If its the latter carry on...if its the former drop the idea.

Just my 2cents worth of reality......Welcome aboard.

PS: Whatever you have calculated in construction cost ...triple it and you will be close.
Ditto what Chris said...boats are way cheap now.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 11:22   #8

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
MAybe even consider a project boat. They are even cheaper when people NEED to sell and some of the work is done for you.
Time runs into thousands of hours. Ask any home built airplane or boat builder. For many people its the breaking straw for marriages and families. You will grow old and forget what the water looks like. Theres nothing harder than being stuck on the hard watching the world sail by on a sunny day.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:04   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
When I built my boat (30yrs ago) I lived on Vancouver Island near Campbell River so had access to good wood at reasonable cost and since I was single and still impervious to cold or joint pain lived in the boat shed. It was heated with wood scraps and my old Volvo was for running errands. Utah would not be my choice for a wooden boat building project. To far from the water and to far from a selection of better wood. My old boat has long since passed from my hands. I wouldn't even begin to think of building a wooden boat so far from quality(or what passes for it these days)wood. As has been mentioned it is a LOT cheaper to buy a glass boat and it is certainly a buyers market right now..............m
Old 29-12-2009, 12:27   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
The numbers may not add up...

It sounds like the numbers for building may not add up.

In my opinion building requires good cash flow, lots of spare time, lots of energy, a cheap place to build, a convenient place to launch and a convenient place to keep the boat (continued fitting out, sea trials and modifications) after launching.

If even one of these components is missing then the costs and the time needed can skyrocket to the point where the boat may never be finished.

It has been suggested that flipping burgers pays more than boat building and my experience generally bears this out. The high property prices in your area suggest that jobs may be available and may pay well.

Frying onions may not feel very nautical, but it may be the best way to go cruising.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote