Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2017, 21:07   #16
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Need a new ac unit.....thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackheape View Post
I installed a Webasto unit on my Hunter 34 a year and a half ago. Easy install and unit runs great. And you can set it to shut the fan completely off if you like. The only problem I have had is the strainer clogging up all the time, but then again its doing its job. We just plan on cleaning it every day when we are using the a/c. Last time it clogged was in Baltimore Harbor. Sucked a jellyfish right into the intake!
Put an exterior screen over the intake
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 21:10   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Thanks folks for the great info, lots to think about. Leaning towards MarineAire or the King. We will let you know how it turns out!

Thanks again
Domestic "Turbo" series have plastic drain pans. Rarely do I prefer plastic over metal, but this is one application where it is the perfect material.
Old 14-10-2017, 07:14   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Domestic "Turbo" series have plastic drain pans. Rarely do I prefer plastic over metal, but this is one application where it is the perfect material.
Dometic (iPhone autocorrect.)
Old 14-10-2017, 07:53   #19

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

A/C units, toilets, refrigerators, windlass units, etc. are just some of those units that are often taken for granted - it it works then why look at or check on it to maintain it. When it stops working is the only time the get looked at. Every mechanical piece of equipment needs some type of periodic maintenance or at least checking no matter if any troubles are suspected.
Just the other day I noticed a saltwtater drip onto one of the engine mounts with a little rust starting. I wasn't looking for it - just in the engine room to add waterf to the batteries.
I have a Dometic 16K unit and it works fine but when I am on the boat and using the A/C I pop out the return air filter and check the pan every few days. Periodically add a little algecide and if any water is in the pan wipe it mostly out when not going to be using it for a while.
I have a checklist that starts at the bow and ends at the stern and go down the list and at least look at every thing on the list before any long range trips. Some items get checked more regularly than others of course. For example I put a socket on every hose clamp on the boat before heading off to the Bahamas when we go.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 12:44   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post

I believe the budget Webasto ones are powder coated SS.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 13:06   #21

Boat: Lagoon 410

Squanderbucks,

I understand you name now. I don't have near enough sockets in the right size to put one on every hose clamp on my boat.(How do you keep them from falling in the bilges?)

Dish
Old 15-10-2017, 06:28   #22

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Need a new ac unit.....thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe the budget Webasto ones are powder coated SS.

Aluminum I think.......damm, now I’ve got to go poke at it!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote