Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 12:21   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
"Necessary" Cruising Equipment Costs?

Yeah, I know. This is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions. Here's what I'm looking to do.

I want to create a resource that people can use to (conservatively) estimate the costs of various systems onboard so they can use an Excel Spreadsheet (like I do) when determining the *real* cost of a cruising boat compared to others. I'd really appreciate any opinions/input here as I'm new to this, but I really need this resource and figure others do too. Let's assume a boat needs all of this, and we're looking at midrange equipment. (for me, a 38-40 ft catamaran).

This isn't meant to be exact, it's to give people an idea of costs, within $500-$1K of actual cost of the equipment (no labor, except on things pros should do - rigging, etc). That's broad, but it would be surprisingly helpful for someone like me.

Here's my list:

- 12V fridge/freezer - $3500-4K
- Solar/Wind and controls - $4-5K
- New Sails (not from China, cruising cat 38-40 feet) - $10K
- New standing rigging - $15K
- AIS (receiver) - $500
- SSB - $3,000
- Radar - $3,000
- Chartplotter - $2,000
- Pactor III - $1,200
- Transducers (depth/speed) - $500
- 12V, midrange watermaker - $4,500
- Handheld GPS - $400

Other options:
- Folding props - $3K (two - catamaran)
- Upgraded battery bank, etc for extended "off the grid" - $4K
- Hard top (very, very rough est) - $10K
- New 6 pax life raft - $1,800
- Para anchor - $1,200
- Additional water-cooled freezer (under-bunk) - $2,500
- Spares for cruising - $5K

Once again, I know this is rough and everyone has their own opinions/options.

Input appreciated.
Old 01-03-2014, 13:51   #2
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: "Necessary" Cruising Equipment Costs?

Umm…how? New vs Old? If old - what? consignment? scrap yard?

If new then use what? Discounts @ shows? Port cards of brokers? Catalogs of retailers?

I don't think all these things are necessary.

Do your own math IMHO on what you need and how you'll get it.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 14:11   #3

I think your prices are a little exaggerated !
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 14:19   #4

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

What about the cost of Valyas? You know... "Val ya at it ya gotta do dis." My friend always said it ain't the projects that are tough, it's the valyas that'll kill ya.

What recently started as a head repair on Sedna, recently turned into a total boat freshwater rehose and cabinet rebuild

BTW. Test and Replace Magnatron on old Radar $500. (not including reroute cable and rebuild chart table).
Old 01-03-2014, 14:35   #5

Boat: Olson 40

Necessary? I'd put others on, and take some of yours off. Depending on the details, might have a LOT more on the list. For example, fenders, mooring lines, cleats, folding bicycles, dinghy, boarding ladder, passerelle, life raft, hand held water maker, portable GPS (e.g., all the Cat-1 offshore items), anchor, windlass, ...

The specifications of a typical boat -- and by this I mean the list of parts that are installed on the fiberglass shell -- is quite long.

And as others have already said, the spectrum of cost for each item is quite broad.

The approach taken by the boats that are out there cruising -- most if not all of them -- is that the owner decides what is needed, what is wanted, and the budget.

Solutions are achieved regardless of the budget, regardless of the lust (what is wanted), regardless of the paranoia (what seems needed). Many safe passages occur with almost no equipment (google Webb Chiles). Many failed and dangerous passages occur with all the stuff money can buy (google Stanley Paris and Kiwi Spirit).
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 16:11   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> cost of a cruising boat compared to others

First you need to define "cruising boat" and "others". Full time or vacation cruising? Round the world or cruising the Pacific, the Carribean, the Med, the ICW? Very different requirements for each.

Then you need to define your start point.

You only need new sails/rigging if the existing ones are old/worn. Many of the items on your list will already be on a decent weekender. etc, etc.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 16:17   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Your second sentence said it all, IMO.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 16:23   #8

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I don't really understand the point of this... Anyone who is looking to re-fit their boat is already going to have a ballpark estimate of how expensive it's going to be, and beyond that the list is going to become extremely tailored. I'm about to install most of this list to a boat (refrig, windlass, electronics, radar, arch, etc.) and I'm already past the stage of what it is roughly going to cost. I guess I just don't understand what you're trying to do. I will keep a detailed list of everything I purchase and install in my thread "Caliber 40 Outfit" in the electronics forum, if that is any help.

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 17:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32 View Post
Necessary? I'd put others on, and take some of yours off. Depending on the details, might have a LOT more on the list. For example, fenders, mooring lines, cleats, folding bicycles, dinghy, boarding ladder, passerelle, life raft, hand held water maker, portable GPS (e.g., all the Cat-1 offshore items), anchor, windlass, ...
The most helpful post yet. I didn't expect to get much, so I guess I'll take this.

I realize this won't have much value to the folks here, but it does have value to people who are looking at cruising boats and wonder "how much would I have to add?"...

That thought has crossed my mind on every boat I've looked at, and I get emails about it regularly.
Old 01-03-2014, 17:07   #10

There's a great book, "The Voyager's Handbook," which goes into great detail on everything you've listed and much more, even choosing the right vessel. It breaks costs up into 3 types of boats; a minimalistic budget, a moderate budget and a no-limit budget. Worth checking out.
Old 01-03-2014, 17:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> cost of a cruising boat compared to others

First you need to define "cruising boat" and "others". Full time or vacation cruising? Round the world or cruising the Pacific, the Carribean, the Med, the ICW? Very different requirements for each.
Fair enough. Round-the-world, full-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Then you need to define your start point.
Agreed, the goal is a list that people can "plug & play" for rough estimates when they're comparing boats. I know that I grossly underestimated the costs of much of the equipment, at first.
Old 01-03-2014, 17:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
I don't really understand the point of this...
I thought I made that pretty clear...

I want to create a resource that people can use to (conservatively) estimate the costs of various systems onboard so they can use an Excel Spreadsheet (like I do) when determining the *real* cost of a cruising boat compared to others.
Old 01-03-2014, 17:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
There's a great book, "The Voyager's Handbook," which goes into great detail on everything you've listed and much more, even choosing the right vessel. It breaks costs up into 3 types of boats; a minimalistic budget, a moderate budget and a no-limit budget. Worth checking out.
I own it and I've used it. Thanks. I'll dig it back up.

I was looking for some input on ballpark figures and to get other's opinions on the particular numbers I've used. No worries though.
Old 01-03-2014, 17:13   #14

Two things that I spotted on your list: refrigeration seemed a bit high: I just priced a system for $1900 but then again that's for a 7.5 cubic ft fridge. Also 4G and even basic radar is around $2000.
Old 01-03-2014, 17:17   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

See comments in line below

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadTrip View Post

First, get a good rigger to inspect the boat, do what they say, then see what you have left
Rig inspection ...$500 - $1,000

- 12V fridge/freezer - $3500-4K. More like $2,500 DIY

- Solar/Wind and controls - $4-5K. I just install 380 watts of solar, used, plus mounts and West Marine controller for under $600. I've got wind, will keep but would not install.

- New Sails (not from China, cruising cat 38-40 feet) - $10K. OK

- New standing rigging - $15K. I just replaced the standing rigging on the 33' boat. $600 for wire and Stay Loc cones from Rigging Only. Didn't do fore stay. That would have added $150.

- AIS (receiver) - $500. Don't skimp,get a transceiver. Still under $1,000.

- SSB - $3,000.

- Radar - $3,000.

- Chartplotter - $2,000.

- Pactor III - $1,200. Yes, correct. What I paid.

- Transducers (depth/speed) - $500

- 12V, midrange watermaker - $4,500

- Handheld GPS - $400

Other options:
- Folding props - $3K (two - catamaran). Nah, get a hooka to cut crab pots off instead

- Upgraded battery bank, etc for extended "off the grid" - $4K SAMs Club golf cart batteries are $80 each. If you are going that far off grid see spares comment below

- Hard top (very, very rough est) - $10K

- New 6 pax life raft - $1,800. I don't have one. That is next, after a AED.

- Para anchor - $1,200. I think I paid $450 for a great drogue new but second hand.

- Additional water-cooled freezer (under-bunk) - $2,500. Learn to can

- Spares for cruising - $5K .... Depends upon where you go, this could be real light. When going North I carry a spare CP, radome, heater blower & glow plug. Hell, I have over $2,000 in spare rope. Three tiller pilots, but I'm installing a CPT.

Autopilot ... Buy a couple of tiller pilots for smaller boats @ $600 each but more like $6,000 for a below deck model unless you can do a CPT.

Wind vane - not for cat but for mono. SWAG $5,000

Input appreciated.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, equipment, men