Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 11:14   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Nav Station vs Cockpit

would be better if you could roll over and see the sea wherefrom the ships are gonna come to hit you. and the lee shore that is looming large despite your nav tools. reaction time i8s much quicker when out in the cockpit where one should remain while on watch. bu tit is your boat--please donot sail near me if you are sleeping below.
remember you are sailing a lee shore on west coast.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 11:31   #17

Boat: C&C Newport 41

i suppose i should have been more specific... tomorrow's plan will be to add an autopilot and radar in advance of any single handing.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 11:33   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

radar and auto pilot will not save your life the way your own eyeballs will. reaction time is faster in cockpit where the watchman needs to remain not in the down below areas of the boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 12:07   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
being in a center cockpit, thoughts on aft cabin vs salon?
If you're likely to have crew on a passage, then putting a nav station in the saloon makes more sense because they'll have access to it.

I've found that it's nice to have a compass in the master cabin. Otherwise, it's not a great inconvenience to have to check position in the saloon during the off watch. (And nice to be able to do so without having to don foulies.)
Old 18-08-2011, 12:30   #20

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Of course, if singlehanding, the problems of getting below preclude trying it for even short periods in many situations. It's hard enough to figure out how to take a p**s when there's no one else to take the wheel. Therefore, if you singlehand at all, you should rig the boat to be able to accomplish navigation tasks, no matter how crude, in the cockpit. I have a nice large table below but can rarely use it unless at anchor. On my "on deck checklist" I have all the stuff needed to use my paper charts should electronics fail. I also have every possibility, every possible alternate course entered into the plotter ahead of time so I don't need to fumble around trying to enter waypoints or courses while trying to focus on not jibing, or avoiding that tanker in the distance.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 14:37   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
i am glad i asked the question and am convinced that i should be putting a nav station below............. solution ismy notebook (NEMA relay) and nav station in the other.... am i insane? complifying things unnecessarily?
I don't think you are insane or complicating things, but I do think that you are speaking of instrument repeaters rather than what I think of as a classical "nav station". When I started cruising in the early '70's a nav station was a place with a table large enough to plot your position along with instruments to help you calculate your position. This space was also used to plan future navigation courses. I believe that I need to change my connotation of a nav station to better fit what people are speaking of today.

Tags
cockpit