Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 20:04   #346
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Great hint on the Permatex - I'll check if I can find it around here.
In the picture it looks like it is a laminate, but it is just a fillet? Could you laminate mat with it?

Scary concept. Working time is about two minutes, it claims five but that ain't so if you want a smooth fillet. So it would be tricky but maybe just possible if you moved really fast. I predict a messy nightmare. It is super strong by itself. If you really want glass in PVC I'd look at sanding it to 60 profile, bonding it in with methacrylate, sanding the fillet, and then glassing with G Flex or one of the other new West products and some boat cloth instead of matt.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 20:05   #347

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We use the Permatex plastic weld or Devcon 14320 along with a old dental gun to apply Weldmount plastic cable ties around the boat. I didn't want to spend the big bucks for Weldmounts system, and found these after a bit of internet searching. I haven't found any generic version of the tie mounts themselves, but JMSonline.net has them pretty cheap anyway.

Wellington (Puritan) At-3 White Tie Mount 30/Pk 803 - Cable Ties And Clamps - JMSOnline.net Marine Supply and Boating Store

Plus you can use their cool studs with 500 pounds of strength:

Wellington (Puritan) Stud.62"Base#8/32 .75"T 15/Pk 83212 - Cable Ties And Clamps - JMSOnline.net Marine Supply and Boating Store

And these straps:

Wellington (Puritan) Ds-113 Footman's Strap 6/Pk 80113B - Cable Ties And Clamps - JMSOnline.net Marine Supply and Boating Store
Old 04-03-2013, 20:06   #348
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
It says it will not bond most polyethylene or polypropylene plastics. I'd like to say I'm not up on my "poly's," but truth be told I really have no clue. Are these two poly's something we typically find onboard?

Yes, plastic tanks. Very few things will bond to these. Note on the list of things it will bond too are both fiberglass and PVC. It bonds really bomber. You need dynamite to get this apart.
Old 04-03-2013, 20:08   #349
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We use the Permatex plastic weld or Devcon 14320 along with a old dental gun to apply Weldmount plastic cable ties around the boat. I didn't want to spend the big bucks for Weldmounts system, and found these after a bit of internet searching. I haven't found any generic version of the tie mounts themselves, but JMSonline.net has them pretty cheap anyway.

Wellington (Puritan) At-3 White Tie Mount 30/Pk 803 - Cable Ties And Clamps - JMSOnline.net Marine Supply and Boating Store

Wellington (Puritan) Stud.62"Base#8/32 .75"T 15/Pk 83212 - Cable Ties And Clamps - JMSOnline.net Marine Supply and Boating Store

And these straps:

Wellington (Puritan) Ds-113 Footman's Strap 6/Pk 80113B - Cable Ties And Clamps - JMSOnline.net Marine Supply and Boating Store

Yep, those are what I started using Plexus for. Permatex is much cheaper.
Old 04-03-2013, 21:24   #350

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Yes, plastic tanks. Very few things will bond to these. Note on the list of things it will bond too are both fiberglass and PVC. It bonds really bomber. You need dynamite to get this apart.
OK good. No plastic tanks onboard, none anticipated. Thanks.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 21:31   #351

Could these be used as a possibly easier way to secure, for e.g., a new fiberglass tank hatch/lid?

And these straps:

Wellington (Puritan) Ds-113 Footman's Strap 6/Pk 80113B - Cable Ties And Clamps - JMSOnline.net Marine Supply and Boating Store[/QUOTE]

I used these with good success for a new run of 3" ID wet exhaust hose along the inside of the hull. Just have to make sure you grind down the bilge paint and get to clean laminate.
Old 04-03-2013, 22:43   #352
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Those studs would work great.

But consider I used 38 studs for my lids, and those are $13 a pop. That's a lot of money for studs. The way I did it cost about $25 in materials.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:31   #353
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They stickied my thread! Frz, you must have some pull...

Thanks Mods! And Frz.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:38   #354
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Ahh the pic's of the girls sure makes me think back ! lol We had the 3 girls aboard till they went off to collage ! Ahh they all went to the proms at the same times lol always remember the extra hours I put in at the machine shop to pay for em ! but i would do it again anytime !! Ya just gotta love those little girls, but darn were boys easier to raise up lol Great looking children ya got there !! Just like your boat !!!

Thanks Bob. It's all for them.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:27   #355

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Those studs would work great.

But consider I used 38 studs for my lids, and those are $13 a pop. That's a lot of money for studs. The way I did it cost about $25 in materials.
Isn't it 15 to a pack?

Steve

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:09   #356

Quote:

Thanks Mods! And Frz.

Good deal. I can foresee using this one as a reference for years to come!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:13   #357

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

No pull, just asked nicely. I think? There is just to much good information in this thread to let it get lost.

So, thank you for all the time you have spent documenting your refit.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19   #358

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:

Thanks Mods! And Frz.
He promised all the mods you would polish our hull topsides
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:54   #359

Minaret -- during your tank rebuild, you discussed using various types of glass cloth as well as mat. By the latter, I assume you mean chopped strand mat. Woud you mind briefly describing when you would use one vs. the other? Are there types of mat that are compatible with epoxy resin vs. the iso that you used? What goes into your decisions to use different wgts. of cloth?

I'm obviously new to this world so excuse the elementary school level questions. Or is it kindergarden level??
Old 05-03-2013, 15:55   #360
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
I think a bladder is a bad idea in most cases, chafe will kill it quick and they aren't cheap. There is a newer type if rigid bladder that is an option for very tight or complex spaces. The bladder has a double wall, with space between filled with a heat sensitive resin. You get a bladder of the approximate size, insert it in the tank/space, and inflate a balloon inside of it to make it conform to the shape. Then you heat it to make the resin kick off. Once it starts to kick you can pull the balloon out and put a heat lamp inside to cure it. Voila, insta-tank! Only done it a couple of times, don't remember the product name. Believe it's been discussed on the forum.

That said, it only cost me a few hundred bucks in materials and a whole bunch of time to do mine. You considering doing yours in place because it would be too hard to remove? A regular bladder is not so bad for water, at least if there is a total failure it won't make too much mess. If you use the original tank for a mold it just needs to be really clean, you don't really need the glass to stick to the original tank. That bond will fail before long anyway. You are just using the original tank as a mold.
That does make sense. Thanks for the insight. I have never really liked bladder tanks. I guess I need to figure out how to get better access to the tank. At the moment a 15 inch inspection plate is all I have.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit