Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 16:57   #1111

Boat: Skookum 47
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Last coat is sprayed with flattening agent. Also fast reducer and accelerant. This is full flat, not satin.
Minaret, what tip size do you need to shoot your griptex fine/coarse mix with? I would think bigger like 1.8?
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 20:46   #1112
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Bay Dude View Post
Minaret, what tip size do you need to shoot your griptex fine/coarse mix with? I would think bigger like 1.8?

I used a cheap DeVilbiss cup gun with a 1.5 tip that I usually use for blowing on primer. Was great for this, no back flushing necessary. If you use a pressure pot you will have to back flush often. Gravity feed cup guns work better for this, even though it can be a pain because you cant flip the gun upside down like a pressure pot gun, or hold it at right angle to the deck. Also, it's cheap, simple, and works. A 1qt pot was fine for me.You don't ever want to mix more than that any way, unless you're shooting something huge. Practice on something first.

PS: Keep swirling your pot load around so the flattening agent and griptex don't want to separate out like they do in a big pot.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 22:50   #1113

Hi Minaret! Did you ever post a pic of your beautiful boat finished and in the water? This thread is such a great one it deserves a nice finish yeah?
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 15:03   #1114

Boat: Skookum 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
PS: Keep swirling your pot load around so the flattening agent and griptex don't want to separate out like they do in a big pot.
Thanks for the tip on swirling. They don't mention that on the product data sheet. I have one more stupid question… When you sprayed on your three coats of awlgrip on the deck, did you spray sections at a time, or did you wait to let paint dry 16 hours or so and walk on the deck? I guess my question is, if you spray, can you wait up to 24 hours to re-coat without having to sand vs the few hours recommended?

Big Thanks!
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 17:37   #1115

I'm gonna add +1,000 on gravity pots for spraying thinned mixes like gel coat. Wal-Mart has el cheapo pots which work stupendously but are so inexpensive that one does not mind tossing at the end of the job. IIRC, the last I bought from them was $35 for the whole rig (cup & gun).

Min, any update on your sitch?
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 09:24   #1116

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Minaret,
This has/is such a great reference for me during my refit and you should put all this and more into a book (easier than you think now using Amazon).

Anyway, I wanted to personally thank you for this and the many other questions you have answered on other threads.

I'm sure that you have resolved your misfortune and you and your family are enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Please consider finishing this thread with additional photos of your Nauticat.

thanks again,
Jim
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 15:25   #1117

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I have to agree with jhulmer's post. We'd all love to hear from minaret again. The last I heard, he was very busy, working very hard.

Ann
Old 03-02-2019, 08:19   #1118

Hi Minaret --

I saw your forum post about the Wanderbird refit, and I joined the forum so I could send you a message there. I am sorry to bother you un-introduced, but I would love it if you have any opinions that you might share one or two?

Thinking about buying this 1981 Nauticat 52 here on the east coast. I have been on it briefly about 2 years ago - it seemed in passable shape, and I loved the mast-furling sails and electric "get-home" motor.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...owse%20listing

Yours looks spectacular - I assume you like the way it sails?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

- Peter
phackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 13:26   #1119

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Peter,

Minaret has not posted here in quite a while. If you take your time, and look closely at the thread, you will see ALL the work he did on that Nauticat. The one you're looking at may need some or all of that work done. It will be a significant investment if you have to pay someone else.

They have the reputation as comfortable boats, conservative design, not sparkling performers, although I find everyone thinks their own boat is great, of course, so opinions are unlikely to be objective--as well as being worth what you pay for them.

Ann

Tags
refit