Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 19-01-2013, 21:52   #91
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Sent you a PM. Might have been Paul that worked on my boat...? cant remember. I remember when Steve bought a 65 ft new motoryacht that had been dropped by the crane coming off the container ship. Keel had a crack in it, but generally the boat looked good. Steve cut the aft ~6 ft completely off and extended it about ~8 ft with a hot tub added! I wonder if that got rid of the salvage history? Now a 73 ft boat!

Yep, I remember that one. When the owner of the yard uses a Ferrari for his daily driver (in Seattle, no less), it's a sign. I'm quite sure that that got rid of the salvage history, LOL! Probably was Paul who did your boat.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 23:08   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
By all things holy...a screwdriver as a cold chisel? You're a very bad boy!
Mark of a professional, in my experience

Wera finally crossed the floor and supplied a purpose built solution:

.... of course, a REAL Marlboro-smoking tradesman would never be seen dead using such an officially sanctioned, girlie looking appliance: he'd reach for a proper screwdriver.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 09:38   #93
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Mark of a professional, in my experience

Wera finally crossed the floor and supplied a purpose built solution:

.... of course, a REAL Marlboro-smoking tradesman would never be seen dead using such an officially sanctioned, girlie looking appliance: he'd reach for a proper screwdriver.

Yep, you're still gonna break it, and cheap is better for tools you intend to destroy by misusing them.
Old 20-01-2013, 09:39   #94

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Nice tool.
I use these in my sewing machine service:

pb tools - Bing

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 09:46   #95
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Spent the last week rebuilding our holding tank. Not much interest here as usual, do I need to spice things up by posting pics of what the interior of a thirty year old stainless holding tank looks like? Some sights can't be unseen, careful what you ask for! You know you're a dedicated boat owner after spending a week inside a 60 gallon holding tank. What was an old rotten steel tank is now a nice new fiberglass one, done without taking any of the boat apart. The only other option was to take apart the entire forward interior and remove the pilothouse roof. Sometimes love of boat will make you do crazy things!
Old 20-01-2013, 10:51   #96

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Spent the last week rebuilding our holding tank. Not much interest here as usual, do I need to spice things up by posting pics of what the interior of a thirty year old stainless holding tank looks like? Some sights can't be unseen, careful what you ask for! You know you're a dedicated boat owner after spending a week inside a 60 gallon holding tank. What was an old rotten steel tank is now a nice new fiberglass one, done without taking any of the boat apart. The only other option was to take apart the entire forward interior and remove the pilothouse roof. Sometimes love of boat will make you do crazy things!
Being in marketing, I have to say pictures get attention and sell, that said I have been reading all of your posts, including the very lengthy thread on painting that came up a short while ago...and I don't even have a boat, or yacht, whatever you wish to call it in your part of the world.

I read most posts, just to learn and glean, I have to admit I am a visual guy..but keep up the posts...what you are currently doing is something I wish to do myself someday, when I sell my business( read praying soon)..

Scott
SV Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 20:09   #97
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
Being in marketing, I have to say pictures get attention and sell, that said I have been reading all of your posts, including the very lengthy thread on painting that came up a short while ago...and I don't even have a boat, or yacht, whatever you wish to call it in your part of the world.

I read most posts, just to learn and glean, I have to admit I am a visual guy..but keep up the posts...what you are currently doing is something I wish to do myself someday, when I sell my business( read praying soon)..

Scott

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll post some more pics soon. It's going well.
Old 21-01-2013, 20:59   #98

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I am curious who is doing the rigging. I am going to need some pretty stout new fittings and large diameter wire to replace Idoras' bob stay. One of the many jobs this winter. To this point I have not found folks who can do the fabrication. Looking at the scope of your project the amount of work is staggering. When you are done that vessel will be something to be proud of. Will you finish by spring?

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 21:30   #99
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I am curious who is doing the rigging. I am going to need some pretty stout new fittings and large diameter wire to replace Idoras' bob stay. One of the many jobs this winter. To this point I have not found folks who can do the fabrication. Looking at the scope of your project the amount of work is staggering. When you are done that vessel will be something to be proud of. Will you finish by spring?

Todd

Rigging is by Kent at Yacht Masters. He worked at Marine Service Center for some years, and they are the local dealers for Nauticat, hence he has much experience working on them. He already knew the boat from her well known previous owner, Miklos Endrody. He's an excellent rigger with a real no nonsense attitude, gets in there and gets it done. Between he and the Schattauer Brothers, the boat's sails and rigging are well in hand. Been very happy with his rig tuning as well, very informative for me. I was billed for 13 hours for the dissassembly of my massive complicated rig, from boat to mast rack. That's exceptionally fast for a rig like that. I'm sure they could help you with a bobstay, no problem. If you just want a bobstay made for you to your specs without a rigger, the traditional source around here is University Swaging. Your Ingrid would be happy with a bronze rod bobstay.

University Swaging in Seattle, WA - Directions

They would probably be the economical way to go. Probably also happy to build to your dimensions and ship to you. Good luck with that and let me know if I can help further.

I will finish the boat by spring if it kills me. And it may.
Old 22-01-2013, 18:26   #100

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Thanks...please keep the thread going. Your an inspiration. I have often wondered what it would feel like to get a good crew on a big job and just kill the problem (whatever it may be). I just grind along learning as I go.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 11:07   #101

Quote:
Cheechako, thinking of Yadvisk people of that era you may know, though that's a little after my time around there. You know Paul Ziegler, Jay Craig, Richard Marsh, or Tony Ruich? Steve is a character, I don't generally recommend that yard.
Here's the boat today. Looks as good as it did when I sold her. Pretty much everything you see was done /redone by me or Yad vich.
View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:33   #102

Boat: Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Here's the boat today. Looks as good as it did when I sold her. Pretty much everything you see was done /redone by me or Yad vich.
View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Looks very nice, Cheech.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 20:11   #103
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I can't wait to keep up with this thread. Subscribed in a major way!
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 20:52   #104
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone know how to get pics from an iPhone to an iPad? Got a new rental house and it only has wifi, no hub to plug my desktop into. I usually post pics from it. Guess I could steal my wifes laptop, but it'd be easier from my iPad. Do you just need a special cord? Lots of pics to post.
Old 01-02-2013, 21:12   #105

Boat: Rafiki 35
Quote:
Anyone know how to get pics from an iPhone to an iPad? Got a new rental house and it only has wifi, no hub to plug my desktop into. I usually post pics from it. Guess I could steal my wifes laptop, but it'd be easier from my iPad. Do you just need a special cord? Lots of pics to post.
If you have email set up on both, You can email them to yourself as attachments. There's no way to directly transfer between ipad/iphone. Laptop is probably your best bet.
Deepdraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit