Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 09:46   #781

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Define hotter than hell. I'm in Houston and was wearing tyvek this weekend
I can relate.

In the Navy, I was one of the unfortunates who had to help sandblast a black submarine in a black floating drydock with black grit.
It was in July of 1967 in Pearl Harbor.
We had facemasks and not much else for protection.
We wore our standard navy shirts and pants with duct tape around the ankles, wrists and neck.
We were given no ear protection from the racket generated by the multiple sandblasting rigs.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 07:59   #782
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Define hotter than hell. I'm in Houston and was wearing tyvek this weekend

Tyvek most every day here. This is in the big tent. It's when you're in a bubble tent on deck inside this tent (tent in a tent) that it gets really hot. Way hotter than this, with so much itch dust you can't see your hand in front of your face.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	63363  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:01   #783
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I can relate.

In the Navy, I was one of the unfortunates who had to help sandblast a black submarine in a black floating drydock with black grit.
It was in July of 1967 in Pearl Harbor.
We had facemasks and not much else for protection.
We wore our standard navy shirts and pants with duct tape around the ankles, wrists and neck.
We were given no ear protection from the racket generated by the multiple sandblasting rigs.

Poor buggers...

Old 30-06-2013, 08:19   #784

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

Tyvek most every day here. This is in the big tent. It's when you're in a bubble tent on deck inside this tent (tent in a tent) that it gets really hot. Way hotter than this, with so much itch dust you can't see your hand in front of your face.
Ok, that may qualify.......what's you humidity
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:50   #785
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ok, that may qualify.......what's you humidity

Lol, "may qualify"! Humidity is "miserable". I'm running four high output fans and forced air fullface though. Thought I was gonna die yesterday. Goin back in...

Old 03-07-2013, 04:05   #786
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I remember those drydock days. Back in the early 80's we were in drydock having the hull blasted for a new (at the time) epoxy coating (Inerta 160). They blasted with that black slag media. All the air intakes were shut down on the ship. I awoke one morning totally soaked, the temps hit 49C (120 F). We bought tents and slept on the beach and the days water skiing behind our Boston Whaler!

I've seen 49C in my shed.

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 23:42   #787

Minaret, how goes the spectacle?
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 15:50   #788

me too specially the deck and and really everything !
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 02:16   #789
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Madness. Almost totally done, she's like a new boat (better, really). Lots of delays to work on OPB, gotta pay for it somehow. About to have proper Internet again soon, lots of pics to post. A failed waterblock fried my last rig too, but its been replaced with the latest generation now.

Alienware Area 51 w/ intel core i7 six core overclocked to 4.7 ghz
24 gigs Corsair DDR3 512 gig SSD 3tb 7700 rpm SATA drive
Twin GeForce 670 w/Frozr II in SLI, PhysX, triple block water cooling, and a nice new Sony 24" 3D monitor

It's Superbad! I'll be posting proper again as soon as the cable is hooked up at our new rental house. We're on our fourth furnished rental since we hauled out!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	236
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	64783  

Old 29-07-2013, 02:21   #790
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's been a real scorcher lately too (for here, anyway).
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	231
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	64784  

Old 29-07-2013, 16:02   #791

I've got an old Alienware laptop, still going strong, My son's in the army, it's been to Timor, Iraq, cd drive's broken, can't hold a charge, screen is hanging on by one hinge, still works!
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 16:19   #792

That sure is a lot of computer...what you doing, running a Level D flight sim?

Can't wait for the pics...and hopefully fully captioned.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 21:00   #793

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Hello Minaret, Thanks for the valued information. You responded to my post re- glassing a water tank. I feel like I was on the right track, just had the glass on the wrong side. I have two 75 g water tanks, outboard under the settee's. A 25g holding tank high in the fore peak and two 40g fuel in the port and star cockpit locker. All S.S. The boat is a Kadey Krogen 37 cutter. It's an 84 and all systems are in various states of need. Ive been working on the exterior for a few month's to give the whole nightmare a look of some progress, there's gotta be a reward to drive me onward. Another two weeks and it will be painted. I then retreat into the air conditioned interior,( house units on the hatches). I wish I was in your neck of the woods. I at one time owned a Bluewater Ingrid. I bought it from a family over on Bainbridge Island. The po came to an unfortunate end while in the building process. I interviewed a number of local boat builder's and workmen in the area and it became clear to me that all of the great craftsmen took off for the Northwest long ago. When it came time to move from Philly to Seattle my wife got cold feet about leaving the Family. I put the Ingrid on the market and sold it in three days. Guy from Mission Ks. trucked her out there and, hopefully made it down the Mississippi. Lost touch with him. While out there I flirted with the possibility of buying the molds. I think the owner was a guy named Jerry Hustead, good guy. Found that there was no market at that time. Home building had dried up. Anyway that's my three cent about geography. We took the money from the sale and bought a Cheoy Lee, Offshore 33. Not really an offshore boat, more of a coast wise boat, but we loved it just the same. Sailed her for fifteen years. Sold her and bought a shitload of material to build a Chris White Atlantic 46LR (48'). Spent more years than I care to say trying to find time and money to complete the project. Last year had a heart event that changed the timeline for me in a big way. So I have bailed on that dream and picked up the KK38. A shorter time line to launch. If you know of anyone looking for a cat project, send them this way. Most structures except for the hull's are complete. Anyway, here I am in Aug 2013. The boat I bought needs it all. And I'm looking forward to doing it. I hear folks post about their tasks and projects and some fits and I enjoy the interaction, but most aren't up the same creek as I am. I tend to take on stuff that can only be decribed as delayed gratification gone bazzerk. (sp). So seeing as how you seem to be a veritable font of info on large scale madness, I would like to ask for you help on some of this work. Help meaning picking your interesting brain. I have some issues and ideas as in the glass tank post. Some serious structural issues. And many not so serious decisions that often need another point of view. Thanks for this great thread. Your doing good service. Norm,
ps, If the pic made it trough, it's a sister ship.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 21:49   #794
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
Hello Minaret, Thanks for the valued information. You responded to my post re- glassing a water tank. I feel like I was on the right track, just had the glass on the wrong side. I have two 75 g water tanks, outboard under the settee's. A 25g holding tank high in the fore peak and two 40g fuel in the port and star cockpit locker. All S.S. The boat is a Kadey Krogen 37 cutter. It's an 84 and all systems are in various states of need. Ive been working on the exterior for a few month's to give the whole nightmare a look of some progress, there's gotta be a reward to drive me onward. Another two weeks and it will be painted. I then retreat into the air conditioned interior,( house units on the hatches). I wish I was in your neck of the woods. I at one time owned a Bluewater Ingrid. I bought it from a family over on Bainbridge Island. The po came to an unfortunate end while in the building process. I interviewed a number of local boat builder's and workmen in the area and it became clear to me that all of the great craftsmen took off for the Northwest long ago. When it came time to move from Philly to Seattle my wife got cold feet about leaving the Family. I put the Ingrid on the market and sold it in three days. Guy from Mission Ks. trucked her out there and, hopefully made it down the Mississippi. Lost touch with him. While out there I flirted with the possibility of buying the molds. I think the owner was a guy named Jerry Hustead, good guy. Found that there was no market at that time. Home building had dried up. Anyway that's my three cent about geography. We took the money from the sale and bought a Cheoy Lee, Offshore 33. Not really an offshore boat, more of a coast wise boat, but we loved it just the same. Sailed her for fifteen years. Sold her and bought a shitload of material to build a Chris White Atlantic 46LR (48'). Spent more years than I care to say trying to find time and money to complete the project. Last year had a heart event that changed the timeline for me in a big way. So I have bailed on that dream and picked up the KK38. A shorter time line to launch. If you know of anyone looking for a cat project, send them this way. Most structures except for the hull's are complete. Anyway, here I am in Aug 2013. The boat I bought needs it all. And I'm looking forward to doing it. I hear folks post about their tasks and projects and some fits and I enjoy the interaction, but most aren't up the same creek as I am. I tend to take on stuff that can only be decribed as delayed gratification gone bazzerk. (sp). So seeing as how you seem to be a veritable font of info on large scale madness, I would like to ask for you help on some of this work. Help meaning picking your interesting brain. I have some issues and ideas as in the glass tank post. Some serious structural issues. And many not so serious decisions that often need another point of view. Thanks for this great thread. Your doing good service. Norm,
ps, If the pic made it trough, it's a sister ship.

No worries, man. Ask away, I'm there for ya. Sounds like you liked my solution to that one. No fun at all but it sure works good. Keeping it short and sweet these days though, I'm really tired. Still not more than a couple of days off since haulout on Dec. 4th, still averaging 12 hr days or better. Nearing completion though. Sounds like you are a real glutton for punishment as well.

Old 04-08-2013, 21:51   #795
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
I've got an old Alienware laptop, still going strong, My son's in the army, it's been to Timor, Iraq, cd drive's broken, can't hold a charge, screen is hanging on by one hinge, still works!

They ARE bombproof, aren't they?

This is #3 for me. Big, loud, and runs hot as hell, but totally worth it for sheer horsepower. It should have a kickstarter...

Tags
refit