Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 15:01   #31

Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

By all things holy...a screwdriver as a cold chisel? You're a very bad boy!
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 15:45   #32
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Thanks you guys! Stayed home and took drugs today, fever was too high. Tomorrow I'm back in the pits, if it kills me.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 16:02   #33
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Physical illness is the first true sign that the restoration has begun. Did you include this in your schedule? I'm half serious, for most projects-depending upon duration-I allow for up to 1/3 of the crew to be incapacitated by illness somewhere along the line. While maintaining a schedule is important, it is secondary to the quality of work completed. Diminished ability because of illness is the enemy. Now it's up to you to control the effects of illness. Do not underestimate the recuperative powers of rest.

I will enjoy this thread immensely. Thank you for posting. Rest well and best wishes.

PS: Pic #2 of your 1st post, I am curious about the exposed elec. wiring in the cockpit at the base of the mizzen. Will this be left as is after completion?

Nope, I've been doing this a long time. We are all used to just soldiering on when sick around here, it happens a lot and you can't just drop tools in the middle of a refit for a week to get better if you're an integral part of the team. The yard can be a nasty place in winter, with everyone sick but still wearing a fullface all day. That's where we're at now. We all whine a lot, then crack jokes about it and keep moving. A careful schedule is not really part of my project managerial style, I've been doing this too long and know well that any plan will not suffer contact with the enemy (military maxim that applies to many things). A plan just gets in the way of what really needs to happen for me. I find it best if you just commit fully and dive in, plans and budgets are for those who want to complete a small project, not a lightning fast full restoration. At least that's how I do it. Once you start taking a boat down to bare bones like this, there's no telling what you'll find. The only certainty is that there will be problems you didn't foresee.

That exposed wiring is usually under the boot. The mizzen is deck stepped, and the mizzen wiring goes through a compression fitting at the step that keeps it watertight, as well as the boot. We're doing new standing rigging and a full suit of new sails from Schattauer Bro's. as well. Power furling units are being sent back east for service, etc. etc. There's lots happening on the rigging end, but that work happens on the other end of the yard so I have less photo's of it.

Thanks for the best wishes! And, and as to a screwdriver for a cold chisel, sometimes we work with what's handy! Was doing all the real work with the cutting disc, just trying to see if it was cut through yet. Damn coupler was really thick! They're machining a new one as we speak.
Old 08-01-2013, 16:19   #34

It's an awesome thing to have a tight crew. For a coupler, thick is good (that's what she said)
Old 08-01-2013, 16:34   #35

I love these kind of real world threads....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 16:47   #36
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
(that's what she said)

LOL, clearly a fellow tradesman!
Old 08-01-2013, 17:09   #37

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Great boat! One of my alltime dreamboats. And made in Finland!
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 17:57   #38
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Great boat! One of my alltime dreamboats. And made in Finland!

Mine too!
Old 09-01-2013, 00:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
LOL, clearly a fellow tradesman!
Thanks but clearly I am out of my league with you. Yes I have the lifelong curse of needing to work with my hands, to build, however all my professional knowledge seems to lack worth in these days, this economy. It's going on 10 yrs since I have restored anything more than antique furniture...but I'm chomping at the bit for something big.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:53   #40

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

You're a weapon Minaret. They are magnificent boats. How did you "peel" her below the waterline? Do you have a special electric plane or grinder?
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:00   #41

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Awesome project! How much of this is being done by you, and how much by paid help? Just curious what it takes to tackle such an immense job.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:48   #42
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
You're a weapon Minaret. They are magnificent boats. How did you "peel" her below the waterline? Do you have a special electric plane or grinder?

LOL. Yes, we do. Here is the real "weapon".

TURN DOWN YOUR VOLUME BEFORE VIEWING!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:57   #43
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Awesome project! How much of this is being done by you, and how much by paid help? Just curious what it takes to tackle such an immense job.

There's lot's of people involved. I'm a laminator and painter, so I'm doing the majority of the exterior "cosmetic" work myself, as I can't bear to let anyone else touch it. But rigging and electronics are mostly being done by others. I spent my whole life preparing for this, making friends in the industry and learning. Now that it's my turn in the hot seat, it's really paying off. All of the businesses working on the boat are run by old friends, and it is costing me a fraction of what it would cost Joe Schmoe walking in the door. But it's still an astronomical sum. When I say we removed all deck hardware and stripped the teak in two days, it's because there was eight guys busting hump on it. And some of them were even working for free! Lot's of the guys working in the yard now were trained by me, some of them were little kids when they started hanging out in the yard (the bosses sons), and I'm like an uncle to them. It really really helps to have a tight, experienced crew that's willing to work crazy long hours. I did it in the dead of winter because it's the slow season, the boss is usually paying guys to paint the shop again when it doesn't need it. So they are getting "busy" work on my boat instead this year!
Old 09-01-2013, 10:18   #44

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
LOL. Yes, we do. Here is the real "weapon".

TURN DOWN YOUR VOLUME BEFORE VIEWING!
I watched the video with interest. Looks to me the boat did not even need the peel. I did not see any blisters.

My previous boat was a 1976 32 footer I bought in 1977. At about 1983 I noticed the bumps and did a gelco coat strip in about 1987. What a dirty stinkin job using a makita disk type grinder. But stripped it down put multi coats of epoxy and built it back after it dried out for six months. Five years later on haul out they were back in force. I do not think I would do the gel coat removal and epoxy again.

Now, on my current boat I haul every year cause I am on the east coat so osmosis does not seem to be an issue here. But when I rebuilt my keel and other below the water line fiberglass projects there was some blistering and delamination. But again I do not think they warrant a peel. And I won't do it till I am convinced the blisters would be gone for good.

What is the state of the art these days????
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:08   #45

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Watched the video. I want one. But I expect they are an expensive tool for very occasional use.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit