Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 23:54   #421
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I was thinking of using my Dremel with similar sorts of attachments, but mainly because that's what I already have. The die grinder probably makes more sense for Minaret who's likely putting more miles on these tools in a week than I would in a year.

Lol! Dremel tool, scoff, scoff. I hate those things, they are a scam perpetrated on homeowners and hobbyists. Their flaw is that an 1/8" shaft isn't strong enough to do any actual work. And you can get a cheap industrial 1/4" shaft die grinder that will do ten times the work for less money. The selection of industrial 1/4" bits is staggering, dwarfs Dremel products. You can run almost anything off a 1/4", flex shaft, Roloc grinder, polisher, cut off wheel, carbide abrasive die grinder bits, anything. One of the most versatile tools in the arsenal. I like Makita for electric die grinders, they live forever. You get what you pay for.



Makita GD0601 1/4-Inch Die Grinder - Amazon.com
__________________

__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 23:58   #422
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Might be to late for the whole "over my head thing" by a year I'm afraid.

I have 2 stainless tanks (pictured hopefully) that have a discoloration on the seams. It doesn't seem that bad but I'm getting ready to add a settee and helm station to the pilothouse and would rather not have to tear it out soon thereafter. Or ever.......

The tank won't fit out of the pilothouse, nor new ones in. Well not without hassles more than I'm willing to deal with.

So if not now, when?

My question is; What about the fuel fittings? Do you drill new ones through the completed project? Or do you bed them in at the start, which seems like a better method. Sorry if this is a stupid question, it's easier to ask though than to screw up.

Thanks bunches for your thread. The sticky got applause at my place.

It appears I'm only attaching one pic at a time.
John

For a fiberglass fuel tank you can glass a 1/4" steel plate into the lid or inspection plate and tap your fittings into it. Are you using a tablet? Can't figure out the one pic thing...
__________________

__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 23:59   #423
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
My first settee.



Looks nice!
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 00:25   #424
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Bottom done except for stand spots and block spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	56427  
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 00:28   #425
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Stands moved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	56428  
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 00:31   #426
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

When it's sanded for prep you can see how the layers of barrier coat were staggered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	56429  
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 00:33   #427
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Trinidad SR is up to $521 a gallon retail! Glad I don't pay anything even close to retail, got four gallons.
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 00:59   #428
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Trinidad SR is up to $521 a gallon retail! Glad I don't pay anything even close to retail, got four gallons.
$242.50 with a $20/gal. mfg. rebate right now at Defender. The Trinidad "Pro" is often cheaper and I've been told it's the same stuff??
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:06   #429
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Lol! Dremel tool, scoff, scoff. I hate those things, they are a scam perpetrated on homeowners and hobbyists. Their flaw is that an 1/8" shaft isn't strong enough to do any actual work. And you can get a cheap industrial 1/4" shaft die grinder that will do ten times the work for less money. The selection of industrial 1/4" bits is staggering, dwarfs Dremel products. You can run almost anything off a 1/4", flex shaft, Roloc grinder, polisher, cut off wheel, carbide abrasive die grinder bits, anything. One of the most versatile tools in the arsenal. I like Makita for electric die grinders, they live forever. You get what you pay for.



Makita GD0601 1/4-Inch Die Grinder - Amazon.com
Ha-Ha! I'm always buyin' the wrong boat #%^* it seems! Although a 35,000rpm die grinder w/o variable speed could & would spell disaster for a guy like me. I can't even be trusted with one of those cheapo "mouse sanders," at least not w/o adult supervision!
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:33   #430
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
$242.50 with a $20/gal. mfg. rebate right now at Defender. The Trinidad "Pro" is often cheaper and I've been told it's the same stuff??


Yeah, you're right, I checked and that's the price on the receipt per box, each of which holds two gallons. Was wondering why it was so high!
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:35   #431
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Ha-Ha! I'm always buyin' the wrong boat #%^* it seems! Although a 35,000rpm die grinder w/o variable speed could & would spell disaster for a guy like me. I can't even be trusted with one of those cheapo "mouse sanders," at least not w/o adult supervision!


Lol! Practice makes perfect...
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:25   #432
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

You can order a few for a couple of bucks each easy. Your missing the point with your palm sander, it's footprint is way too big and it's not aggressive enough. The Roloc will grind aggressively in a very small spot without getting coarse grit scratches which will then be impossible to remove all over the place. It dishes out a repair perfectly, just like a bigger grinder, except its teeny. The Fein is great for cutting but I never use one for sanding, it'd take ten times as long and not do anywhere near as good a job.
There are many types of pads and discs for roloc and you must be thinking of a different one than I am. Which type do you use?

I was under the impression that you would grind up to 1" wide, not just open up the crack a bit. My rotary palmsander can do down to 1/4" with ease. I understand that you want to go very quick but I am not experienced enough for that speed and find a grit 80 disc almost too fast already. You think I would put the sander flat down on the gelcoat with a 5" footprint?! That would make no sense, would it?

The Multimaster might be slow but it is not a speed competition for me and 90% of the time goes into what comes after the grinding anyway. I have these attachments for it with 60 and 80 grit paper:

In Panama you can order something for a couple bucks but the bill from FedEx and import duties from Customs will hit you for a couple hundred extra
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:48   #433
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
There are many types of pads and discs for roloc and you must be thinking of a different one than I am. Which type do you use?

I was under the impression that you would grind up to 1" wide, not just open up the crack a bit. My rotary palmsander can do down to 1/4" with ease. I understand that you want to go very quick but I am not experienced enough for that speed and find a grit 80 disc almost too fast already. You think I would put the sander flat down on the gelcoat with a 5" footprint?! That would make no sense, would it?

The Multimaster might be slow but it is not a speed competition for me and 90% of the time goes into what comes after the grinding anyway. I have these attachments for it with 60 and 80 grit paper:

In Panama you can order something for a couple bucks but the bill from FedEx and import duties from Customs will hit you for a couple hundred extra


Post some pics of the various stages of your work if you would.
__________________
minaret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:01   #434
Registered User
 
Deepdraft's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

Nothing wrong with using vinylester resin to fix your vinylester boat either. Like I said earlier, I'm all about continuity of materials. I think some of the failures I have seen are caused by this. For instance, in the example of the poly gel on an epoxy layup you posted a vid on. The reason I think a test immediately after making the part is fairly meaningless is because I think the problem is in part that the epoxy lam keeps slowly blushing very small amounts of amines long term, but also that the two materials have dissimilar rates of expansion and contraction. The two problems exacerbate each other and lead to long term failure. I believe the same thing can happen with a repair. The epoxy repair is twice as stiff for the same layup as the poly material it is replacing. This results in stress risers in the faying edge of the repair, exactly where you don't want it. Destructively test a panel repaired like this in shear and it will break right at the edge of the repair every time. I often go to great lengths to match fiber continuity to the original laminate schedule, why wouldn't I also match the original resin, or at least a more modern equivalent that has very similar properties?
How do you know if your boat is vinylestor?
__________________
Deepdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:27   #435
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Post some pics of the various stages of your work if you would.
Yes, I'll document in another thread and post the link here

I also have a soft spot in the deck so will be posting a bunch of fiberglass projects here.
__________________

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
refit

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.