Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 20:52   #271
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Isn't it weird to think I can't wait to see a vid of a guy at work on a boat inna yard? Anyway, I can't wait.


Lol! Sorry, I meant vid of the Flexicat that explains how it works a bit better.





Flexicat-tools-2 - YouTube
__________________

__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 20:53   #272
Registered User
 
funjohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Currently Indiantown FL
Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Posts: 1,846
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Funny story there- it was going to go on chocks on the foredeck. But then I realized you can't see a damn thing out the pilothouse windows with a dinghy on the foredeck-duh! So we are keeping the stern davits after all. It'll go upside down on the foredeck when passage making. Too bad, really wanted to get rid of the davits, even though they are a nice setup which makes good use of the power winches.
What does that bad boy weigh? Will you have an inflatable as well? I built a beautiful nesting dinghy to bring on our trip, but after playing with it a bit, realized the convenience of a RIB really made sense for us. Still envious whenever I see anyone with a hard dinghy hanging from their davits vs our ugly rubber thing.... I second guess ever decision!
__________________

__________________
MJSailing.com - Written Blog
Youtube MJ sailing - Vlog
funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 20:54   #273
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
There ya go Minaret, Make those work Vidios, and Market them as self Help Vidios!! They will sell like hot cakes !! What a way to earn cruiseing money ! doing something ya really know how to do !! Just a thought !! Hell I would buy one just to have your pic LOL



I dunno, sounds like work Bob! I'd feel bad about charging and give em away for free anyway.
__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 20:57   #274
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin37 View Post
Incredible !!!! Is all I can say. I'm on year 4 rebuilding a previously sunk Irwin 37 MKV but could never meet your quality of workmanship. I sit on-board many a day and ask what was I thinking, hope to put it in the water this year .. we will see. These posts do make me want to keep going, besides I'm in so deep now I could not get out if I wanted to.
Keep building ....Love it


Excellent....(wringing hands). My evil plan is working, these posts make you want to keep at it! Keep going, the payoff is literally priceless.
__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 21:07   #275
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
What does that bad boy weigh? Will you have an inflatable as well? I built a beautiful nesting dinghy to bring on our trip, but after playing with it a bit, realized the convenience of a RIB really made sense for us. Still envious whenever I see anyone with a hard dinghy hanging from their davits vs our ugly rubber thing.... I second guess ever decision!


250 without the carbon fiber rig, about 300 all up with both sets of 7' hand made hand leathered oars, the sail rig, an anchor, some fenders, etc. We still have a 12' roll up Zodiac with an 18hp Tohatsu that lives under the v berth, as well as two kayaks on rail mounts, one on either quarter. I almost bought from Gig Harbor Boatworks instead, they were the first contender. Beautiful boats, sail and row well, built in kick up electric drive, etc. Also looked at Whitehall Row (30k for a dinghy), and several other builders in that bracket. As soon as I discovered Norse Boats, I knew this was the one. Got real lucky. They were a dream to deal with, unlike the people at Gig Harbor, who I found unhelpful and quite unpleasant. I think both types of tender have their place (soft and hard), but expect this one to do most of our service. I intend to put a Lehr 2.5 on her instead of electric drive.



NorseBoats
__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 21:37   #276
Registered User
 
irwin37's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gettysburg Pa
Boat: 1981 Irwin 37
Posts: 193
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
What does that bad boy weigh? Will you have an inflatable as well? I built a beautiful nesting dinghy to bring on our trip, but after playing with it a bit, realized the convenience of a RIB really made sense for us. Still envious whenever I see anyone with a hard dinghy hanging from their davits vs our ugly rubber thing.... I second guess ever decision!
Does your nesting dinghy look anything like this, built this before purchasing our Irwin, was hoping to use on our boat but I think it will be replaced also, once we start cruising.

__________________
irwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 23:06   #277
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
250 without the carbon fiber rig, about 300 all up with both sets of 7' hand made hand leathered oars, the sail rig, an anchor, some fenders, etc. We still have a 12' roll up Zodiac with an 18hp Tohatsu that lives under the v berth, as well as two kayaks on rail mounts, one on either quarter. I almost bought from Gig Harbor Boatworks instead, they were the first contender. Beautiful boats, sail and row well, built in kick up electric drive, etc. Also looked at Whitehall Row (30k for a dinghy), and several other builders in that bracket. As soon as I discovered Norse Boats, I knew this was the one. Got real lucky. They were a dream to deal with, unlike the people at Gig Harbor, who I found unhelpful and quite unpleasant. I think both types of tender have their place (soft and hard), but expect this one to do most of our service. I intend to put a Lehr 2.5 on her instead of electric drive.




NorseBoats
Your Norseboat is fantastic! Not too terrible price-wise, esp. if you get the kit. I was thinking awhile back about the Portland Pudgy & dispensing with my liferaft but eventually went with the old adage that life's too short to sail an ugly boat, even if it's just the dinghy! No davits on my boat and don't want them, so would be most interested in what you come up with for chalks/cradle for the foredeck when you get to that point in your refit. Also never knew about the propane-fired Lehr outboards! You are quite a resource -- thank you, Minaret!
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 23:36   #278
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Your Norseboat is fantastic! Not too terrible price-wise, esp. if you get the kit. I was thinking awhile back about the Portland Pudgy & dispensing with my liferaft but eventually went with the old adage that life's too short to sail an ugly boat, even if it's just the dinghy! No davits on my boat and don't want them, so would be most interested in what you come up with for chalks/cradle for the foredeck when you get to that point in your refit. Also never knew about the propane-fired Lehr outboards! You are quite a resource -- thank you, Minaret!


Yea, they are really nice. Still pretty pricey, especially if you get all the options, but way more bang for the buck than competitors. The more I look at it the more I like it. Everything I thought it would be and more, they are really well thought out. You'll spend twice as much as the fully dressed Pudgy, but it's easily twice the boat. It fits our family of four and a dog with some groceries and you can still sail or row without feeling like you're in a tin of sardines. The wife and I can both row simultaneously while one of the twins steers. The outboard fits in the cuddy which locks. She sails easily at five or six knots with three adults aboard, and only draws 6" board up. With kick up board and rudder with steel keel strake you can sail the boat right onto the beach. Worst case scenario if it gets filled with water in the davits, which is unlikely due to its sweet cover, it only holds a little water in the footwell instead of 500 gallons filling a regular 12' dinghy. The rig is pure genius. It sleeps two with the camp cover. It fills in the space between the dodger and Bimini and encloses the whole boat. The kids just love it, and I think a loose footed fully battened gaff catboat is THE ideal boat to really learn to sail on. They should have countless hours of fun on it, they are just six and to them it's their own private pirate ship. Just what I wanted.
__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 00:52   #279
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Lol! Sorry, I meant vid of the Flexicat that explains how it works a bit better.





Flexicat-tools-2 - YouTube
I watched, I am impressed! I especially like the same tool being used as a trowel on complex curves. I was careful to look at the sliding mechanism to see how it performs on the various curves. I am impressed.

What are those pins made of? How tight of a fit where they pass through what looks to be stamped steel? Do they use bushings?
__________________
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 00:57   #280
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin37 View Post
Does your nesting dinghy look anything like this, built this before purchasing our Irwin, was hoping to use on our boat but I think it will be replaced also, once we start cruising.

That is very nice, I like her lines. Nice job. Perhaps an athwart seat 'round about where the centerboard trunk is for rowing.
__________________
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 07:05   #281
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
I watched, I am impressed! I especially like the same tool being used as a trowel on complex curves. I was careful to look at the sliding mechanism to see how it performs on the various curves. I am impressed.

What are those pins made of? How tight of a fit where they pass through what looks to be stamped steel? Do they use bushings?


The whole thing is powder coated aluminum, pretty light. No bushings. The very thin board itself is made of something space aged. You have to use one to really see the light. Huge time saver that provides absolutely top notch results.
__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 07:49   #282
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Spain
Boat: nauticat 33
Posts: 12
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Great to see the pics on your teak deck - and I thought I had problems with my teak deck on a Nauticat 33. Helped to put it in perspective. Keep posting the pics of the deck work as it progresses. When I get some work done on mine I will post some pics on my website (www.paulnorkettblog.com)
bets wishes
PN
__________________
paulnorkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:14   #283
Registered User
 
irwin37's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gettysburg Pa
Boat: 1981 Irwin 37
Posts: 193
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
That is very nice, I like her lines. Nice job. Perhaps an athwart seat 'round about where the centerboard trunk is for rowing.
Thanks for the compliment. It does have a center seat for rowing, just don't have it in for the pics.
__________________
irwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 09:42   #284
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Yea, they are really nice. Still pretty pricey, especially if you get all the options, but way more bang for the buck than competitors. The more I look at it the more I like it. Everything I thought it would be and more, they are really well thought out. You'll spend twice as much as the fully dressed Pudgy, but it's easily twice the boat. It fits our family of four and a dog with some groceries and you can still sail or row without feeling like you're in a tin of sardines. The wife and I can both row simultaneously while one of the twins steers. The outboard fits in the cuddy which locks. She sails easily at five or six knots with three adults aboard, and only draws 6" board up. With kick up board and rudder with steel keel strake you can sail the boat right onto the beach. Worst case scenario if it gets filled with water in the davits, which is unlikely due to its sweet cover, it only holds a little water in the footwell instead of 500 gallons filling a regular 12' dinghy. The rig is pure genius. It sleeps two with the camp cover. It fills in the space between the dodger and Bimini and encloses the whole boat. The kids just love it, and I think a loose footed fully battened gaff catboat is THE ideal boat to really learn to sail on. They should have countless hours of fun on it, they are just six and to them it's their own private pirate ship. Just what I wanted.
Sounds perfect for the children, along with us childish adults of course! In a couple of years, you & your wife will be begging the kids to lend you the keys!
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34   #285
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Nauticat 52 Refit

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnorkett View Post
Great to see the pics on your teak deck - and I thought I had problems with my teak deck on a Nauticat 33. Helped to put it in perspective. Keep posting the pics of the deck work as it progresses. When I get some work done on mine I will post some pics on my website (www.paulnorkettblog.com)
bets wishes
PN

Does your 33 have problems with the aft deck?
__________________

__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
refit

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.