Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2012, 21:06   #1

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24
Naugahyde Vinyl Headliner Question

I was supposed to have my interior cabin headliner done yesterday with the foam backed vinyl. I hired a master upholsterer with over forty years exp...he was highly recommended by the guys i know at the marina...he does amazing work...i have seen it....he called me yesterday and said he started doing the headliner and than he ripped it back out. He said i was going to have to go with carpeting. He thought he could make it happen, but with all the contours its not going to work....i am disappointed because i did not want carpeting....he said eventually...the headliner will probably come loose. Has anyone had that problem....what do you prefer for your headliner...i thought the vinyl would look more modern and be easier to wipe clean.
goldiphlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 21:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Naugahyde Vinyl Headliner Question

I've 40 year old foam backed vinyl headliner on my boat. There are wood battens that are spaced on 24" ish centers on mine. That and some sort of adhesive I believe... Still doing good after 40 years.

I don't think you want carpet on the ceiling. Any cooking smoke, grease from the galley will tend to collect on the headliner (and everywhere else) so carpet would not work.

Something washable is a must
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 13:11   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"....he said eventually...the headliner will probably come loose. Has anyone had that problem...."
Well yes, eventually the foam gets old and brittle and disintegrates and the headliner sags down. Islander used foam-backed vinyl in their boats, some of that lasted 25 years. Unless foam rubber is "nitrogen blown" (made fiizy bubbles from gas under pressure, like soda) you never know how well the chemicals will age, and the cheaper mixes all become brittle and turn to dust. Car headliners, boats, even upholstery padding.

From what you say here, I'm guessing he didn't quite realize how many battens or pieces he'd have to use to cover your overhead, or if it can be successfully covered with something relatively thin that "telegraphs" every imperfection.

Maybe it is impossible, but I'm guessing he made an estimate without really doing his homework, and now just wants to back out of it because there will be more work than he figured. Good upholsterers are hard to find, but I'd try to get another opinion--from someone who comes to see the boat, or at least sees lots of good pictures of it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 16:04   #4

Actually he met me at my boat...looked at it and then gave me one price for carpet and one price...slightly higher for the vinyl....i dont think he was going to use any battens. My sailboat is small and not very wide ....there is already lots of teak trim to hide seams....
Old 29-07-2012, 16:37   #5

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Save the Naugas! Do you know how many Naugas it takes to make on headliner? Poor little guys!
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 16:37   #6

Avocado shag carpeting, some lava lamps, burn a little incense, tie-dye curtains...
Think 70's era VW van. It's a theme. Can you picture it?
Seriously...carpet will look like poo! I think you already know that.
KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 16:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
Save the Naugas! Do you know how many Naugas it takes to make on headliner? Poor little guys!
Thanks ....that really helped! Lol
Old 29-07-2012, 16:57   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i had an islander that had the vinyl come loose....but that was after 30 years.... go figger... was an islander 26. the vinyl only came loose after the leak evolved--i could never find that damn leak--i think was the mast boot...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 17:09   #9

Boat: Seaward 22

have you thought about good epoxy paint? makes a nice, hard, cleanable surface.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 17:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i had an islander that had the vinyl come loose....but that was after 30 years.... go figger... was an islander 26. the vinyl only came loose after the leak evolved--i could never find that damn leak--i think was the mast boot...

I'd be happy with 30 years....i'll probably get something alittle bigger eventually anyway....
Old 29-07-2012, 17:43   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I've 40 year old foam backed vinyl headliner on my boat. There are wood battens that are spaced on 24" ish centers on mine. That and some sort of adhesive I believe... Still doing good after 40 years.

I don't think you want carpet on the ceiling. Any cooking smoke, grease from the galley will tend to collect on the headliner (and everywhere else) so carpet would not work.

Something washable is a must
OMG I almost went with carpet and NEVER thought it out. I LOVE THIS PLACE!! I was going shopping in the morning. Nagas it is. Thanks guys!!!
Old 30-07-2012, 08:43   #12

Well...after speaking with the upholsterer he is going to do the vinyl. He said the reason he wasnt going to do it was he is very picky and does not want too many seams ....he will NOT do sloppy work. I told him i really love the look of the sailboats that have all the teak battens though that cover the seams....he said but he did not quote me on a price for all of that. So i said i realize that...you just put up the vinyl...and i will get the trim....and he agreed...so it will be done tomorrow....yay....i really love the look of the attached pics here i just saved from another thread....i think it gives a more nautical look
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-4.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	44184  
Attached Images

Old 30-07-2012, 13:41   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
Well...after speaking with the upholsterer he is going to do the vinyl. He said the reason he wasnt going to do it was he is very picky and does not want too many seams ....he will NOT do sloppy work. I told him i really love the look of the sailboats that have all the teak battens though that cover the seams....he said but he did not quote me on a price for all of that. So i said i realize that...you just put up the vinyl...and i will get the trim....and he agreed...so it will be done tomorrow....yay....i really love the look of the attached pics here i just saved from another thread....i think it gives a more nautical look
That is exactly how I want my interior to look. Thank you!
Old 30-07-2012, 14:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvick View Post
That is exactly how I want my interior to look. Thank you!

Me too!! Especially that nice cushy bed! I wonder where they could put it??lol
Old 30-07-2012, 14:57   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float
Yeah I wish my boat looked like that as well....but I haven't won the lottery yet! Agree that carpet would look like poo!
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headliner