Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 13:13   #16
cruiser

Re: Nature's Head and Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Also, didn't you get a strong odor from leaving the lid up?
Vent will fix the problem. Contact Sandy, he'll have a diagram for you

I have never had an odor from my C-Head, except during use, if you take my meaning. I find that once the feces is stirred in, all smell is gone. So far if all I have to do is leave the thing open from time to time, I'm good with that. I've been impressed, I have no doubt you will be as well.

The very key to composting toilets, for they actually are DESICCATING toilets, is dryness...ventilation is good.
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 13:13   #17

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

We have a composting toilet at home, but not on the boat.

I would be tempted to run a hose thru to the transom, and use a solar powered vent. The main reason for this is when at anchor your transom will be down-wind of the cockpit and, presumably, you would be using your toilet at those times.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 13:45   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Thanks for the info Jaybird. I'll contact Sandy at C-Head tomorrow. My Scout came with a flexible holding tank that was really designed just to be legal but never used. I've been faced with the prospect of having to redo this & install a tank but this would be so much easier to install & I think cheaper as well once I pay for the tank & hose. Plus I won't have to rebuild my old Wilcox Crittenden head, again!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 16:03   #19

Boat: Sailstar Corsair 24

We installed a C - Head 15 months ago in our Sailstar 24' Corsair. Basic white unit fits in the space designed for the Wilcox-Crit thru-hull head.

Very happy with the unit. Well built, easy to clean as well as no odors. Use peat moss and the solar vent secured on the forward hatch for ventilation.

We live aboard and have two felines as supercargo who contribute their fair share. We all recommend the composting head with no reservations. I twisted no tails to get the cats approbation.
tholepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 05:08   #20

Is it an issue with the C-Head if you just use the boat on weekends or intermittently?
Old 25-02-2015, 05:24   #21

It's funny how sailors can get worked up about a head. I've got a bronze Wilcox Crittenden Junior head that I found many years ago & have always been very proud of. I remember going on a Golden Hind sloop & the captain took me straight to the head to show me his Baby Blake. It's all he wanted to talk about &, I have to admit, I was suitably impressed.
Old 25-02-2015, 05:40   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
It's funny how sailors can get worked up about a head. I've got a bronze Wilcox Crittenden Junior head that I found many years ago & have always been very proud of.
That reminds me ... I have a Wilcox-Crittenden Skipper II head that I should sell. It's a great head, but I have no need for it now that I'm a happy NH owner.
Old 25-02-2015, 05:59   #23

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I had a composting head. I don't think the run will be the problem as long as you have a reasonable fan. More of concern is keeping water out and not having vent you will be tripping over or catching. On all the boats I've owned the pump out location was certainly not dry when under way and a vent would have been easy to trip over.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 06:23   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Is it an issue with the C-Head if you just use the boat on weekends or intermittently?
No, as long as you make sure that everything stays dry.

speaking of selling heads, I've got two that I don't want anymore. both are Jabsco; one is manual, the other a macerating electric. Also have a 15-gal holding tank but it needs some work
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 06:35   #25

Very happy with my NH which I have had for 5yrs. now. Never got around to installing the vent and odor has never been an issue. I would however caution you against the previous posters advice to leave the lid open. Again, not so much of an odor issue but you will be allowing a single housefly access and you will open the head door one morning to be greeted by a scene right out of a horror movie. I found this out after a weekend with nonboating kids aboard who could never remember to put the lid back down. Hundreds of flies suddenly appeared and I had to prematurely empty the head as the hatchings were continual even after liberal doses of flyspray into the unit.
tanton37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 22:16   #26

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Nature's Head and Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanton37 View Post
Very happy with my NH which I have had for 5yrs. now. Never got around to installing the vent and odor has never been an issue. I would however caution you against the previous posters advice to leave the lid open. Again, not so much of an odor issue but you will be allowing a single housefly access and you will open the head door one morning to be greeted by a scene right out of a horror movie. I found this out after a weekend with nonboating kids aboard who could never remember to put the lid back down. Hundreds of flies suddenly appeared and I had to prematurely empty the head as the hatchings were continual even after liberal doses of flyspray into the unit.

Horror crap! 😩

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head