Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 09:17   #1
cruiser

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 28 CC
Name that stantion...

I have 2 bent stantions, one might be able to be saved, the other looks like it's a lost cause. I don't see any markings on it to replace it. If you know the make or have a good idea on where I can get a new one to match this on please comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9127.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	145989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9126.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	145990  

Old 21-04-2017, 09:33   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Name that stantion...

I wish I could help, but I don't know.

For our education, for the collective record, what was the cause?
Old 21-04-2017, 09:46   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Name that stantion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoVita View Post
Hoping Your boat is located very far away from mine...

What does that mean?

I'm also curious as to the cause of an outward bent stantion?

Here's a plethora of stantions and bases with shapes that may match what you've got there.

http://search.defender.com/?expression=Stantion
Old 21-04-2017, 12:05   #4

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah

On our older boat, we had a custom stanchion whose base weld had come loose and had a bend in the stanchion itself. There were no matching stanchions out there so we just took it to a local welder. He fixed it up good as new. A bit steep at $100 bucks but it was exact match.
Old 21-04-2017, 15:05   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I wish I could help, but I don't know.

For our education, for the collective record, what was the cause?
Using the lifelines for securing fenders and similar abuse?

Is that really a mooring line hitched to the lifeline?
Old 21-04-2017, 15:23   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Perhaps my comment was taken as sarcasm. It was not.

As for attaching things to stanchions, this wouldn't be the first time a fender caused this. If it was a mooring line, I can see how I may have touched a nerve, but I honestly didn't look that closely--I thought there was another fender down there (I use fat rope on my fenders). It would be good to know which.
Old 21-04-2017, 15:34   #7

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Giancarlo?
Old 22-04-2017, 03:12   #8

Boat: Ericson 28/2

How about some dimensions? It would be helpful.
Old 29-04-2017, 20:53   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by serah View Post
On our older boat, we had a custom stanchion whose base weld had come loose and had a bend in the stanchion itself. There were no matching stanchions out there so we just took it to a local welder. He fixed it up good as new. A bit steep at $100 bucks but it was exact match.
Thank you but I don't think this one can be saved. That is why I am trying to replace it.
Old 29-04-2017, 20:58   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrakes View Post
How about some dimensions? It would be helpful.

I can't see how dimensions would be more useful than the photos detailing the sytle. Can you tell me how dimensions would help you identify the manufacturer?
Old 29-04-2017, 21:39   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

When you're searching, use the spelling, "stanchion". My closest match to our photo would be the "Gibb Stainless Steel Lifeline 4 Degree Stanchion Bases" listed on ebay for $22.99 each.
Old 29-04-2017, 22:08   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
When you're searching, use the spelling, "stanchion". My closest match to our photo would be the "Gibb Stainless Steel Lifeline 4 Degree Stanchion Bases" listed on ebay for $22.99 each.
Thanks, The support on the base goes all the way around the outside, that Gibb appears to pass through. I'm not asking anyone to go searching for this information, I was only hoping someone would recognize the make
Old 29-04-2017, 23:01   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

BravoVita:

You seem to be missing a few things about this forum .

1) You are not asking a single person face to face for advice. You have asked a large completely anonymous group of people for advice. Consequently they got a lot of advice that they didn't ask for because of:
-the limitations of the written word,
-folks that didn't pay attention to all the info you gave or didn't see subsequent answers,
-. . . . .

Posters will continue to get those responses no matter how much they disclaim to keep the discussion on topic. My suggestion is to say "Thank You" to the advice that pertains and to ignore the advice that doesn't and then keep reading. Some of it will be worth consideration even if it doesn't pertain to the immediate question. Having seen this situation enough times on the forum if you keep trying to control the topic you will wind up getting flamed and the consensus will become that you are an ass.

2) This is not a business situation where the goal is obviously constrained and time is money so people are inclined to stay focused. Also there is minimal hierarchy here so there is no good mechanism to keep the discussion on topic. Acting like it is a business meeting will just annoy people and lead to the aforementioned flaming and consensus.

3) While the folks that can afford a 100'+ boat are generally bright enough not to jump straight to that size alone, there are plenty of folks that can afford 50'-60' that would. They come on this forum periodically. Hence there is a lot of extraneous advice.

If you can accept the forum for what it is you can get at least some of the answers you are looking for. Fight it and you will drown.
Old 30-04-2017, 00:12   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Having seen this situation enough times on the forum if you keep trying to control the topic you will wind up getting flamed and the consensus will become that you are an ass.
The evidence has been presented, consensus is on its way.

OP, I suspect that your attitude towards folks who were trying, perhaps mistakenly, to help you in your search will not aid you in your quest. If I thought that I recognized the offending hardware, I'd likely keep it to myself for fear of being snubbed or ridiculed.

Jim
Old 30-04-2017, 08:02   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
BravoVita:

You seem to be missing a few things about this forum .

1) You are not asking a single person face to face for advice. You have asked a large completely anonymous group of people for advice. Consequently they got a lot of advice that they didn't ask for because of:
-the limitations of the written word,
-folks that didn't pay attention to all the info you gave or didn't see subsequent answers,
-. . . . .

Posters will continue to get those responses no matter how much they disclaim to keep the discussion on topic. My suggestion is to say "Thank You" to the advice that pertains and to ignore the advice that doesn't and then keep reading. Some of it will be worth consideration even if it doesn't pertain to the immediate question. Having seen this situation enough times on the forum if you keep trying to control the topic you will wind up getting flamed and the consensus will become that you are an ass.

2) This is not a business situation where the goal is obviously constrained and time is money so people are inclined to stay focused. Also there is minimal hierarchy here so there is no good mechanism to keep the discussion on topic. Acting like it is a business meeting will just annoy people and lead to the aforementioned flaming and consensus.

3) While the folks that can afford a 100'+ boat are generally bright enough not to jump straight to that size alone, there are plenty of folks that can afford 50'-60' that would. They come on this forum periodically. Hence there is a lot of extraneous advice.

If you can accept the forum for what it is you can get at least some of the answers you are looking for. Fight it and you will drown.
"Thank You"
Closed Thread