Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 15:02   #16
Registered User
 
svHyLyte's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area, USA
Boat: Beneteau First 42
Posts: 3,423
Images: 25
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Deep, thought of that, maybe this coming weekend I will remember. But think black potting soil. It dries kinda powdery.

SailPen, it's all through an eight foot long tube, that has a 5/8" pin through it. Must have been packed in there.
Ah, what year is that Murray 33? I seem to recall one that was fitted with an Air Head at one point, with the owner claiming to have found a unique way of dealing with the compost...
__________________

__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 17:23   #17
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Thanks, but not foam, too dense. It fells more like loose dirt.

Not turning it the wrong way, Wife made me check, she knows my limitations!
Some grinders have reverse threads you know................

You haven't yet admitted that you read the manual.
__________________

__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 17:31   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Some grinders have reverse threads you know................

You haven't yet admitted that you read the manual.
I looked at the manual, nothing useful in seven languages. NO pics, or instructions. Completely written by lawyers.

I also put on the nut, the same way as always.

I also looked at the threads, same way as always.

I'm pretty sure my eyes ain't lying.
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 17:33   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Ah, what year is that Murray 33? I seem to recall one that was fitted with an Air Head at one point, with the owner claiming to have found a unique way of dealing with the compost...
Ah yes, we'll a Murray 33 with a sprit this size would be "interesting" indeed.

This is the Pape 44.

But if I had any sense we wouldn't have two boats.
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 17:50   #20
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I looked at the manual, nothing useful in seven languages. NO pics, or instructions. Completely written by lawyers.

I also put on the nut, the same way as always.

I also looked at the threads, same way as always.

I'm pretty sure my eyes ain't lying.
OK.
Sorry.
Refund time.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 17:58   #21
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
OK.
Sorry.
Refund time.
Thanks. Lets hope refund works.

Getting a little frustrated with the project.

Weldments under sprit were not as expected,or sane.

Weird gunk.

Big grinder goes TU.

New big grinder TU.

Broke a cleat by accidentally hitting it with a hammer, and not hard.

Didn't get half done I wanted to.

But hey, it's a boat project, so what do I expect.


It will work out, eventually. And I may get to sail this summer, I hope.
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:20   #22
Registered User
 
cwyckham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Niagara 35
Posts: 1,870
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Thanks. Lets hope refund works.

Getting a little frustrated with the project.

Weldments under sprit were not as expected,or sane.

Weird gunk.

Big grinder goes TU.

New big grinder TU.

Broke a cleat by accidentally hitting it with a hammer, and not hard.

Didn't get half done I wanted to.

But hey, it's a boat project, so what do I expect.


It will work out, eventually. And I may get to sail this summer, I hope.
Sounds pretty par for the course, actually. You haven't burned anything down yet. Have you bled yet? I know I'm not really done a boat project if I haven't made a new scar.
__________________
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:32   #23
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Yea, the bleeding part.

Best of luck hpeer.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:51   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Custom cutter, 42'
Posts: 378
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Regards your comment on breaking a cleat with a hammer, if your boat has been built with commercial cast cleats welded on and you fractured the weld with a hammer blow, consider yourself lucky. This is a fairly common construction screw up and it is dangerous. The cast cleats form a very brittle weld which looks just fine but can be fractured with a single blow. Imagine what can happen if that cleat fails under heavy load from a line. It can easily kill someone standing in its trajectory.

If I've described your cleats I'd highly suggest you take a hammer to every one of them. Then make up some proper cleats from stainless pipe/bar and weld them on with 309L rod. You can beat on them with a sledgehammer if you like, they won't fail.

Regards,

Paul
__________________
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 19:41   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
Regards your comment on breaking a cleat with a hammer, if your boat has been built with commercial cast cleats welded on and you fractured the weld with a hammer blow, consider yourself lucky. This is a fairly common construction screw up and it is dangerous. The cast cleats form a very brittle weld which looks just fine but can be fractured with a single blow. Imagine what can happen if that cleat fails under heavy load from a line. It can easily kill someone standing in its trajectory.

If I've described your cleats I'd highly suggest you take a hammer to every one of them. Then make up some proper cleats from stainless pipe/bar and weld them on with 309L rod. You can beat on them with a sledgehammer if you like, they won't fail.

Regards,

Paul
Been thinking of that. Yes that describes my cleats. Cast galvanized. 14" welded to the deck.

Only it wasn't the weld, it was the horn. It broke right through where the bolt would have been. Come to think of it, they had welded in a short bolt to fill the bolt hole. I wonder if that stressed the cleat?

I have about 20' of 1" heavy wall in the basement, may just have found a use for it.

Great, just what I need. Another project.
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 22:37   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LandLocked USA
Boat: I Want A Catalac
Posts: 58
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Cutting off my sprit to replace it I find it is filled with some kind of black material. Kind of like dirt, but a bit more fluffy. It can be packed down, but is not as I uncovered it.

No discernible smell. Black. Not the least bit oily.

The sprit, a 3"x3" box beam, mild steel, was packed about 2/3 full of this stuff.

What the heck is it?
WAG, if it was a closed box, packed with some ?cloth? and ignited by the welding to remove oxygen from the inside of the box?

My best guess.
__________________
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 05:28   #27
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: Mystery Gunk in Sprit

Interesting thought, like a "getter". (IIRC) in an electron tube. Probably too light for cloth, but maybe something else that "burns" either through heat of welding or absorbing O2.

Wonder what?
__________________

__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.