Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 09:16   #16

Re: My first hull job. Please weigh in.

I forgot to mention, Interprotect is fairly thick and fills gaps relatively well. You should be able to roll on enough coats to fill most of the scratches and small gouges from sanding without having to fair and sand, between that and the antifouling it should look fine
Tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 13:10   #17

We soda blasted our boat several years ago so that is what I would have recommended if you hadn't already sanded everything off. In addition to what has already been recommended, I suggest you check out all the "how to's" on Jamestown Distributor's website. I am simply another boat owner but I heartily believe in Interlux below the waterline. However I have better luck with Awlgrip on the deck.
If you ever get to doing your deck over I strongly recommend scrubbing with scotchbrite pads and powdered detergent with plenty of water before you touch it with sandpaper. Only then, fill, fair, surface, prime and paint.
CaptainLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 13:41   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Make life easy:
CALL INTERLUX.

Their customer support can answer all your questions, tell you which product probably is best in your waters for your type of sailing, and they'll also mention the issues like stripping off all the old paint, to make sure there are no compatibility problems.

Yes, their products are expensive but they do set a standard. Bottom paint no longer exists, if you call it "paint" they get insulted and tell you it is a "coating". Which means $300 a gallon instead of $50, but that's just what it is.

For your boat, you'll be buying one gallon, and probably finding that's more than you need, in which case just throw an extra couple of coats on the leading edges of everything the bottom of the keels. You can probably get creative with some rented jacks or jackstands and some sawhorses made of 2x4's or 4x4's to lift the boat off the trailer and move it back-and-forth enough to get easy access to all areas of the keels. In the worst case, you find the cheapest local yard and ask them if you can do an "overnight haul" in their boat lift. At the very end of their workday they'll rig slings under it, lift it, and tell you to finish up before the morning. First thing in the morning, they'll drop the boat again. On your trailer or in the water.

If the paint you choose can dry in under an hour, you can also do a "lunchtime haul" which is the same thing but done during their lunch break.

Meantime, the slings have gone on accessible areas, and you're able to paint the areas that were inaccessible.

No big deal.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 10:54   #19

Boat: Tartan 34

You'll get great tech support from Jamestown Dist. Woman-to-woman you can ask for Hillary, very patient, very knowledgeable! The guys are great, too, don't get me wrong. Prices and quality of Total Boat products are great. They ship TB products free. For visual guidance on maintenance/repair jobs, take a look at Tips from a Shipwright on YouTube.

My dad believed a girl could do pretty much anything a boy could do and taught me by example, and that we could have fun even at the hard or tedious stuff. "Wooding" (with blow torch) and recaulking (the old Oakum and Iron method) on our 40' ketch was a family affair so I highly recommend bonding with your teenager over boat work. Just both of you use good protective gear including dust and vapor protection as you clearly are setting a good example. Might as well learn early how to practice good technique. Kenneth Grahame wrote words that have been resonant in my life: “Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” The Wind in the Willows

Fair winds and following seas!
shskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, lease