Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 16:29   #31

Re: My derelict boat

Hi, do you have a clearer picture of the outside of the boat? If it's the boat I think, I know the man that built it. I'm sure he would love to know how it's doing and could fill you in on details about the boat. Thanks in advance, Steve
Shorn1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 19:14   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
the spreader light is mounted to the mast with a teak T bracket .... not sure how to varnish it .... i need a 20 foot paintbrush >;/

whoever had that wonderful idea ......
Hi, masou,

You go up the mast and bring it down and sand and varnish it, then put it back. The mast is strong enough for that: the loads from the sails far exceed your weight! There are ways to do it without someone to help you, if need be, and you can find them by using the CF Custom Google Search function, about sixth under the Search button. Threads about how to ascend your mast alone, and by using a bosun's chair, which is how we do it.

Ann

PS. You'll notice there's been a shortage of naysayers lately on your thread. All of us would like to see pictures of progress.

Take your time, and as funds appear, spend them craftily.

A.
Old 02-06-2018, 19:46   #33
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Hmm. We did this with our 1976 Bayfield 32. Three inches of water over the floors when we found her. Basically the only good stuff left were the nearly new sails and barely used recently-replaced engine (<300 hrs).
We replaced or renovated everything else. Including removing and refinishing/replacing all the interior and exterior teak. Painted the interior, mast, spars, deck and hull. Rewired, replumbed. New upholstery interior and exterior. New dodger, bimini, and other canvas...Etc etc...
Now it looks great, but it's taken 10 years. It practically killed us.
Never again

So, good luck. As the lady said, you have to be able to do the work yourself unless you are wealthy (we are not). But it's a skills-building exercise that cannot be beaten!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 19:54   #34

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I had a redwing 30. It’s an emotional soft spot. Heavily built, 7800 pound 30 footer. Short stumpy rig but fun to sail. Massive weather helm especially on a reach. I owned her for 11 years. Good bones.
Deck can have issues as you know. Hull is a tank. I replaced the keel bolt washer/plates with stainless.
Replaced the masthead fitting so I could have two jib halyards. Repainted her. New lifelines. Faired the keel hull and rudder. Replaced the tiller after it broke because of rot and weather helm. Cruised for a few weeks at a time. Great memories. Just make sure you put the companionway batter boards in if you go sailing in the kind of weather that poops you and fills cockpits.
That was a scary day.

Great times on that boat.

Have fun😄 !!!!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 19:57   #35

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

Has pics of redwings and support for you.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:32   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve (Shorn).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 00:53   #37

Boat: Hinterhoeller C&C redwing 30

Hey thanks for the impute truly been doing lots of work in the past few years I installed a kickerbracket to combat my seized inboard , and got a 4hp British seagull ahahah sounds crazy but I love the thing it sipps about a liter of gas and hour noisy and very easy to fix my seagul was built in 1962 and if rebuilt a bit of the bottom end after loosig a sheer pin and using the wrong gear oil , I took her out cruising for a few weeks lat summer just for a 2km sail to a local island spent a week on the hook and came back get stuck going one knot into a 3 knot current tried to hoist the main and the halyard got caught on the spreaders and the cable to rope splice snapped , I'm going to have to drop the boom and lower the top in lift to add a rope in place of the cable and pressic my way up the mast ...., anyway I'm dealing with deck rot in some isolated places but I have 4 gallons of fiberglass waiting for the spring gotta replace a section of cockpit over the quarter birth and every portholes in the boat is secured into rotten ply so I'm going to bassicly remove a lot of deck and put in newer portholes, my boats getting pretty equipped I'll have to post more on here but I've got lots of solar panels and I just rearranged the cooking acomidations I'm adding a chainlocker in the spring a well as new paint and bottom paint ,

The fact I live on my boat really helps with dealing with the fact I need to dump thousands of dollars into it , because it's payed itself off many a times over , I just upgraded my ancour set up ,

I just got the autobiography of the boats first owner he won over 50 races between 67 and 72 and was nominated to the 72 Olympics for his sailing on this boat , I believe the boat might still hold records for that ,
masou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:01   #38

Boat: Hinterhoeller C&C redwing 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn1961 View Post
Hi, do you have a clearer picture of the outside of the boat? If it's the boat I think, I know the man that built it. I'm sure he would love to know how it's doing and could fill you in on details about the boat. Thanks in advance, Steve
The boat was built by hinteroller in Toronto
masou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:20   #39

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
the spreader light is mounted to the mast with a teak T bracket .... not sure how to varnish it .... i need a 20 foot paintbrush >;/

whoever had that wonderful idea ......

Then you got some climbing to do. Welcome to the world of sail.

Is the ballast lead, or scrap steel and concrete? A ton of lead can be sold for more than what you paid for the boat, I think.

Seriously, if you are feeling it, then it is a worthwhile project. It wont be easy and it won't be cheap even if you do your own work. Meanwhile you have a floating apartment with very low rent but highish maintenance. Works out okay. Just sometimes it can be hard to work on a boat that you live on.

My new to me Roberts wasn't in much better shape. Didnt even have a head! No functioning electrical system. At least no full bilges, so that's something. A huge and beautiful skylight that blocks the view from the cockpit and is an open invitation to a huge wave to smash through. 14 gallon fuel tank for a 4-107 of unknown hours, tied in with zip ties. No engine guages. No proper anchor rode. Steering lashed together out of Home Depot components. No genset, no inverter, two 8Ds but only one takes a charge. Propane stove. Interior never completed. Sailed her home through the day and night from back side of Gulfport where I found her, no running lights, sailed like a locomotive on meth when I wasn't jury rigging the steering. Surveyor valued the boat at over 3x what I paid for her though, and with a sound hull and an engine that seems to be okay, I think it is a project worth undertaking and within my financial means to do so. After spending about $60k on her I hope to have a $50k boat. That's the way it goes. However when I subtract the value of the usage I will have put her to during the refit, that softens the bite a little. As soon as steering is fixed, nav lights work, we have windlass, chain and anchor, pieced together three strand running rigging is replaced with yacht braid, ice machine and bar are installed, we will probably be taking her out every weekend, fair weather or foul. Put a value on that. Anyway if you have some reason to regard the boat as special in some way, and if it still floats and the hull is good, whether it is a "good idea" or not, it can be put to rights. All I have ever owned were fixer uppers or self built boats. Always been on a shoestring. My $9500 Roberts is the most expensive boat I have ever purchased by far. Working on my boat is a fact of life. Sort of like a ball and chain. After a while you kinda get used to it. But the fun stuff eventually makes up for it.

You can do this. Everything you tackle, research first. If you don't get it right the first time, do it again until you do. Obviously you will be making her fit to live aboard, first. But to make it seem worth the effort and expense, you need to get her able to sail safely and effectively early on. Using the boat as intended is value added for you. The fact that your dollar invested in the boat only returns about 75 cents then becomes immaterial.

Free or nearly free boats can be very expensive. But you can pay as you go.

Oh and compartmentalized bilges can be a good thing. So consider leaving things as they are. Otherwise, instead of limber holes, consider bronze valves as low as you can go. Open for simple single pump pumping. There will be some water left of course, for you to pick up with the wet vac. Close valves so you can isolate leaks. Or do it poor man style, with wooden tapered plugs. If you drill through the frames or bulkheads down deep in the bilge, be sure you know if they are plywood cored. If so, drill oversize, fill with epoxy, then drill the epoxy. Maybe you can prevent the new holes from allowing water ingress into the plywood, if present. Or go back to plan A and just leave it alone.

Another benefit of a compartmented bilge is oil and grease from the engine does not spread its way forward as easily, resulting in less smell.

Do you have a shower? If so, a very good upgrade, if you have bilge shower drain, is a shower sump, to keep shower water out of the bilge. Amazing how shower water can smell up a bilge.

Beware of carbon monoxide! A couple of detectors is a darn good idea, with a wood stove aboard. Otherwise you could one morning wake up... not. Are you cooking on the wood stove, too? Top get hot enough for that? Or are you using propane or liquid fuel burner? Any open flame will produce CO, some more than others. Water vapor, too. A flued setup removes most of that and when properly set up can help keep your boat dry inside, assuming leaks fixed. Unvented, the most modern camping type stove can kill you. Speaking of camping, some shoestring liveaboards avoid cooking altogether, subsisting on raw veggies and canned food. It's a thing, while waiting for a proper stove to install.

This may sound counterintuitive, being winter and all, but you ought to have some fresh air venting into the boat near the stove. Helps the burn, helps the draft, keeps the smoke going up and out. Doesn't have to be a lot, but you need some. The shorter the path to the stove, the better. Worst case is aft cockpit companionway open, stove well forward, so cold air travels 2/3 the length of the boat before it gets to the stove. You get almost as much cooling as heating.

Good luck with the project. The naysayers are right. The enablers are right, too. It's not worth it, but yeah, maybe it is, for all that.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:44   #40

Boat: 29 ft

An own roof over the head - is worth a lot. The ability to spread out expense is also worth a lot. For a young person who has no savings and does not want or can't get a bank loan, this is a great way to have an own home, probably cheaper than a rented appartment. Focus point from that aspect would be health - elimination of mould, low moisture, if possible warmth. But all that can be done.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:08   #41

of course we know what the saying is...... there is no such thing as a free boat
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:15   #42

Boat: 29 ft

A boat becomes expensive when you live in an appartment or house and in your holidays, fly to whereever. Then, an own boat is expensive.

If you live on your boat and compare that to an appartment or when you spend your holidays on your boat and compare that to charter - a boat is not that expensive.

If in addition, you can do some of the repair and maintenance yourself, this also reduces the cost.

Ok, yes, there is no free boat and there are no free meals ... Somehow, you pay.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 20:39   #43

Does this boat have a separate sleeping quarters in the rear? If so, I believe this is the boat my father built in the late 1960's, The Berolina. He completed it in 1967. My family sailed from Canada to Florida in it eventually ending up in Atlantic City. My dad has lots of pictures from when he built it. It was built behind our house. It makes me sad to see it looking like this.
mhorn6381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 20:42   #44

I believe this is the boat my father built in 1967. Does it have separate sleeping quarters in the rear?
mhorn6381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat