Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2017, 00:39   #16

Boat: Hinterhoeller C&C redwing 30
Re: My derelict boat

so i live on this beautiful boat now shes my pride and joy , full plywood deck , which is far superior to the balsa , that they used to make these production , yes its a production boat but because it was the prototype it was built differently then the other 140(ish) red wings made after it here is a picture of the berolina trophy named after her , its in the lake ontario yacht club ,you can read about it here Berolina Trophy - Port Credit Yacht Club
masou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 03:41   #17

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
so i live on this beautiful boat now shes my pride and joy , full plywood deck , which is far superior to the balsa , that they used to make these production , yes its a production boat but because it was the prototype it was built differently then the other 140(ish) red wings made after it here is a picture of the berolina trophy named after her , its in the lake ontario yacht club ,you can read about it here Berolina Trophy - Port Credit Yacht Club
Congrats on the new boat!

I can't stand all these negative nancies who come on here and just feel bad for you or tear you down by telling you bad things about your boat decision without knowing/seeing your boat in person or knowing you as a person.

I commend you for taking on a project and saving a boat from going to a landfill. If you take your time and be smart about the restoration, you will be fine. Trust me.

Just try to buy things used, do all or most of the work yourself using books and the internet as learning guides, and price compare using the internet/marine consignments (ebay, craigslist, etc) for all boat things, you will will come out with a great boat.

I'm going at it little by little myself on restoration of a Tartan 34. It has been slow and tedious work but I am mainly constricted by time I have to dedicate to a wife, toddler, house projects, car maintenance, etc. If you're single and your house is the boat, you should have all the time in the world to dedicate to her so it should not be a barrier!

Good luck on the restoration! One step at a time!
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 06:45   #18

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
ok thanks for the responses
yeah i paid next to nothing for her, cost me $500 and a bottle of rum ,
its a 30 foot C&C redwing ,(hull number one ) , named the berolina made in 1967
it was very well maintained up until 4 years ago , when it slowly turned into a crash pad for a french kid who was working as a marine technician at the nearby boat yard , he was working 80 hours a week and didn't have time to fix the boat he was living on , but he left me all the bells and whistles that he pulled off the boats he was working on , these pictures are from 2 months ago , and when i got her she had 3 feet of water inside , from a deck leak , ( which i'm going to fiberglass when the weather allows ) the chain plates and rigging are sound , structurally shes a very well built and sturdy boat , 7 keel bolts , all in good condition , she has a 20 horse power inboard yanmar diesel ( that was an upgrade from the 90s ) either with a blown head gasket or a seized impeller / cooling system ( from what iv heard ) .... she looks like **** right now but she ain't no catalina ;P
I agree that bashing Catalinas (and by extension, their owners & aficionados) you're being a bit rude. Hey, we all have to start somewhere, and my C30 looks a lot better than your Redwing at the moment.

That said, being hull number one of any "successful" model likely has some collectors value.

More power to you! I think once you clear out the garbage and do a little serious cleaning, you may have a diamond in the rough there. Hopefully you will not find any nasty (expensive) surprises. If you can do most or all of your own work, it could "only" cost you time and materials. Which beats paying for labor that may not even be as craftsmanlike as your own any day.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 08:27   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

One of the most poignant posts I have ever read was on this forum.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-92198.html
Old 16-06-2017, 08:45   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The key with older boats is doing all or almost all of the work yourself. I can't imagine how much it would cost to fix an older boat if I had to pay someone else to do the work. That's just crazy.

My boat was a lien sale boat, though I purchased it from the owner and paid off the lien before the owner got the rest. Pretty sure it had sat for 3-5 years. No interior lights, no head, water piping leaked, batteries dead and really old electronics. It needed to be defunked too.

But it had a fine hull, good mast and riggings and a yanmar. I've owned and lived aboard it for 10 years now and it has been the best investment I ever did. (which may not be saying much).

Congrats on saving a lovely boat. Don't let the nay-sayers get you down. They are most likely working or paying for a condo and not on the seas.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 09:01   #21

You've got your work cut out for ya there bud. You should check out the C&C owners forum. I bought a 1976 C&C 30mki back to life a couple years ago and that group was fantasticly resourceful. They'll think it's pretty cool that you've got Redwing Hull No 1... although they'll probably be sad to hear about her current condition.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 20:48   #22

still not the hilton but , i installed a woodstove because i live in canada
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0541.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	156924  
Old 29-09-2017, 21:31   #23

I own an older C&C design called a Viking 28. Wasn't quite as ragged as your Redwing when I started, but I've replaced one chainplate, one more is due. Nice lines on your boat, be pretty when done up. Best thing is that the hull is bare inside, meaning no inner fibreglass liner to deal with. Your bulkheads will be tabbed in place directly to the hull. Looks like you've cleared the debris, I'd get a garden pump-up sprayer full of TSP in hot water and some scrub brushes and start from the bow sterilizing it out thoroughly. Then start checking all tabbing and the plywood bulkheads. Use an awl and push hard on it to find the rot. Sketch it out as you go and then by the time you get to the stern you'll have a record and can figure out your plan of attack. Meanwhile, go talk to the nearest community college that runs an automotive program. The yanmar you have is found in small garden tractors, Kubota I think. Tell the college instructor you'll provide all parts and machine shop costs if they provide labour and supervision for a FULL rebuild back to zero hours. Source the repair manuals, service manuals, parts diagrams etc to take with you when you ask, so they understand exactly what is being proposed. It's a win-win for both sides. Your work on the diesel can be to replace the diesel fuel tank and all lines and the filter inside the hull. Only need a small 10-12 gal tank for that engine, and 5 gals jerrican on deck for reserve.

Spend your efforts on the electrical rewiring since its and easier skill to learn than diesel mechanics. Plus it's cheaper to do over if you screw it up the first time around (barring a fire....) Won't be a lot of wiring in that boat either, but you need it all working to run/anchor safely. That and a good working diesel and you can start your adventures.

Lots of naysayers on here, but don't take it as malice or snobbery, it's simply that you're willing to attempt what they wouldn't. Once you've done your discovery and workplan post the details. If every single bulkhead is rotten , the bottoms of each berth soggy and the tabbing to the hull shot, then it may be time to take a deep breath and walk away..... Good luck.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 00:02   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I will not comment on the prospects of restoration because I've not personally seen the boat. Too bad others don't have the same consideration!

But mate, move the guitar further from the stove! That looks a really bad stowage spot to me!

Good luck with the jobs that await you, and don't ever think about the 500 bucks already spent. Think more about each dollar you propose to spend in the future. The boat may work out as a good investment, not in dollars but in satisfaction earned from completion of each step of restoration. If that is the case, all the naysayers can pound salt whilst you enjoy your progress. Remember, damn few of us have ever profited fiscally from boat ownership!

Jim
Old 30-09-2017, 01:28   #25

yeah iv cleaned and sterilized the boat to a point i feel comfortable eating and sleeping on board , one thing that drives me crazy is how the bilge is segmented with no drainage , making it impossible to pump out the boat , the possitive side to this is being able to tell exactly where a deck leak is situated , ( i move the guitar when the wood stove is in use ) , i plan on replacing all the seacock fitting when i pull her out next spring , im fairly happy with the electrical system i have added 80 watts of solar , a group 27 , and a 2000 watt inverter , led lighting , icom VHF , i already had a hummingbird depth finder , with 3 working installed transducers , theres a 18 gallon stainless fresh water tank in the v berth , and a matching one for the diesel , im still having problems with the cockpit drains because they are placed in very difficult spots to work on , they were both clogged , but i have one working now
Old 30-09-2017, 01:39   #26

the spreader light is mounted to the mast with a teak T bracket .... not sure how to varnish it .... i need a 20 foot paintbrush >;/

whoever had that wonderful idea ......
Old 30-09-2017, 02:46   #27

good luck mate
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 03:06   #28

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
You're living the dream. Sail ON!
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 05:15   #29

You should have limber holes in each rib under the floor allowing water to drain to one low point/bilge pump. A hole saw, 3/4" diameter, in a flexi-shaft on a drill will cut through the bulkheads/ribs which are likely plywood glassed over. Look for rot. Seal cut surfaces with thickened epoxy and use same to raise the bilge a bit at each rib to help flow.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 05:27   #30

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
, one thing that drives me crazy is how the bilge is segmented with no drainage , making it impossible to pump out the boat ,
I have the same problem, I solved it with a shop vac. I just poke the pipe from the vac down into each section (3 of them, the sections are separated by the engine bilge which is correctly isolated from the rest of the bilge area). Of course you need mains power or a decent inverter to do this.

But until I have time to deal with the deck I will always get rainwater in the bilge and keeping the bilge dry with the vac makes the boat feel much nicer.

Hang in there.

Tags
boat