Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2015, 17:46   #16

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: My boat has developed a list to Port

Mine lists a little because of the batteries on port side. With the starboard water tank empty. With some water in the tank it's fine.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 18:38   #17

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
If a slight list to port is the biggest problem with your boat, you have a pretty excellent boat.

Having said that, fiberglass does absorb water...lots of it. It could be more water absorbed on one side due to cracks, or less water absorbed due to sun and wind.

Moving a few cans or water bottles will likely solve the problem.

On my old C&C25, I would sleep in the saloon berth on one side, and the wife on the other side. She would get mad because the boat would be leaning to my side, and she would be sliding out of her bunk. So she would wake me up, and we would switch berths. But then the same thing happened, just the other direction. The problem was that I weigh double what she does. The problem was finally solved by stowing all the spare water jugs under her berth.
HA !

Well that's the post of the month right there.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 05:26   #18

Boat: Watkins 36

Thanks for all the info. Holding tank is 12G on port side but nothing has been added or drained in this time. Water tank also port but again nothing added or drained. Bottom is clean, I have a monthly diver and he was out last week, states everything's ok. Boat does not bottom out at low tide.

More past history.. When I bought the boat there were lead ballast weights under sette on starboard but only 2 12v batteries. I reconfigured the entire battery system and now have a total of 6 12v batteries under starboard sette. With all the extra weight I removed the ballast. Ironically it weighed the same as the batteries I installed. We sailed for a month last dec/jan and had no list then.

Might be the rig, how would I go about checking and confirming? I have never tuned a rig before (bought this boat last year) probably need to learn.
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 08:25   #19

Boat: Seafarer36c

I leveled the boat by swinging the boom out and hanging the dinghy from it, then used a halyard as a plumb bob. If you live at a dock it could be done differently
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 08:53   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Johnson View Post
So this is strange, my 36 Watkins CC has been tied to my dock for over a month, nothing has been changed or added. I now have a slight list to port. The Bilge is dry. She had a complete bottom job last summer. ...
Ha, did they change the water line during the bottom job?

I had this happen once. Got a bottom job and then months later noticed a slight list. Drove me nuts. Finally, after returning from a few months of cruising, completely unloaded the boat and leveled the tanks. It still appeared to be listing. So, I started measuring from the dock...turned out the boat was not listing at all, but the waterline on one side was slightly off.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:15   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ha, did they change the water line during the bottom job?

I had this happen once. Got a bottom job and then months later noticed a slight list. Drove me nuts. Finally, after returning from a few months of cruising, completely unloaded the boat and leveled the tanks. It still appeared to be listing. So, I started measuring from the dock...turned out the boat was not listing at all, but the waterline on one side was slightly off.

I gotta remember this one! Thanks for posting it too! Good lesson!

Sometimes one's observations and conclusions can be skewed by simple mistakes or use of references that are not quite correct.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:40   #22

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

Is it sitting on bottom?
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:48   #23

It's not magic. Negating wind effects and grounding, There is more weight on the low side now. Find it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 18:14   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We are so heavy the thing doesn't move when we step aboard. All the noted suggestions would have no effect on us. 280 gallons of water in the stbd tanks makes a difference.

My fist thought was keel resting on the bottom.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 19:06   #25

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

If you have twin water or fuel tanks with a crossover line open, a very slight list caused by a beam wind for a day will develop into a very noticeable list over time. The more it lists, the more water/fuel gets transferred to the heavy side.
If the boat is used often, the tanks tend to stay relatively equal, but sitting in the berth for a month or two, the list appears.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 05:11   #26

Quick check of your rig center - Use your main halyard to check the distance from masthead to a chainplate on one side, then check the other, if one side's longer then you can start adjusting.

CAUTION!! if your rig has suddenly changed tuning. this could be a sign of a serious chainplate or even stringer problem.
Getweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 06:46   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getweh View Post
Quick check of your rig center - Use your main halyard to check the distance from masthead to a chainplate on one side, then check the other, if one side's longer then you can start adjusting.

CAUTION!! if your rig has suddenly changed tuning. this could be a sign of a serious chainplate or even stringer problem.
Howdy! What follows is a sincere question, asked because I would like to know and learn.

I am not familiar with the problem and so wonder what the sign leads to?? Would you please elaborate or explain more fully? For example, what to look for regarding the chainplate, etc. Thank you.

As I see it, the chainplate is "fixed" in place. Unless it has broken and come loose. Is that what you mean?
Old 25-05-2015, 07:15   #28

That's right. The Chainplates are usually bolted directly to a stringer, or to a bulkhead and then somehow tied to a stringer. Any breakage in this 'chain' could cause your rig to change position, and is potentially very dangerous particularly under sailing loads.

Good luck!
Getweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 07:27   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getweh View Post
That's right. The Chainplates are usually bolted directly to a stringer, or to a bulkhead and then somehow tied to a stringer. Any breakage in this 'chain' could cause your rig to change position, and is potentially very dangerous particularly under sailing loads.

Good luck!
Thanks!

I am chuckling at myself now ("Of course!"), because as I read your answer above it struck me that my earlier question was because I was thinking of only ONE form of chainplate (external and visible) rather than thinking of INTERNAL chainplates.

I suppose it is just my tired (no coffee yet, little sleep) brain and my liking of traditional styled boats (often with very visible external chainplates) that has clouded my vision. Thanks for clearing that up! Now to get some coffee in my brain!
Old 25-05-2015, 07:40   #30

Boat: Able 50

Don't get too hung up on the whole business of failed chainplate mounting. Having a fractured frame or bulkhead is pretty rare.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote