Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2004, 11:56   #16
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,579
Images: 240
Pulp Mills

Woody said:
probably have some around the pulp mill I work at somewhere....

I'm certain you would - I think I recall that Pulp Bleaching is a major user.
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2004, 17:04   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,579
Images: 240
HyperVent

HyperVent from Colbond Inc.
http://www.hyperventmarine.com/product.htm

HyperVent is a special material that consists of a spun polymer woven into a large open configuration that is bonded to a breathable fabric layer. This light mesh of polymer does not compress, allowing an open layer of air to form. It is 3/4" thick, allowing plenty of dry air to circulate. This material is lightweight and flexible, yet rigid enough to hold its shape indefinitely.

HyperVent claims prevent dampness under cushions & bedding, and the accompanying annoyances in three ways:
1 Allows warm air to circulate under the mattress, thereby minimizing an essential condition for condensation.
2 The circulating air allowed by HyperVent promotes evaporation of moisture.
3 HyperVent separates the bedding from any moisture that might form.

HyperVent is 39 inches wide and comes in custom cut lengths of up to 100 feet, and costs $7.35USD per Linear Foot.
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2004, 02:58   #18
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,579
Images: 240
Study Proves Bleach Kills Mold

New Study Proves Chlorine Bleach Kills Household Mold and Neutralizes Mold Allergen-University of Arizona Study Reveals Facts & Myths about Indoor Mold and Effective Cleaning Methods

SAN FRANCISCO, Mar 22, 2004 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Today at the American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology's (AAAAI) 60th Annual meeting, Kelly Reynolds, MSPH, Ph.D., a research scientist at the University of Arizona, announced the results of a new study that proves, for the first time, a chlorine bleach solution not only effectively kills mold but also neutralizes the indoor mold allergen. The study, funded by a grant from The Clorox Company, also found mold spores, a common trigger for allergies in America, to be present in 100 percent of the homes surveyed.

When sensitive individuals are exposed to allergens, such as mold spores, by either direct contact or inhalation, allergy and asthma symptoms may result. Some of these symptoms may include sinus congestion, coughing, upper respiratory distress, chronic headaches and flu-like symptoms. In fact, mold spores are suspected in the tripling of the asthma rate in the past 20 years and have been blamed by a 1999 Mayo Clinic Study for nearly all of the chronic sinus infections afflicting 37 million Americans.

The primary cause of allergic responses from exposure to mold can be attributed to surface allergens. These allergens become a problem when they become airborne and contaminate indoor air quality. The study found that low concentrations of chlorine bleach, such as those common to commercial household products certified to kill mold and mildew, were proven to be effective at not only killing the mold spores, but also denaturing, or neutralizing, the surface allergen, making it essentially unable to produce an immune response in sensitive individuals.

"Remaining fragments of dead mold can linger indoors long after the mold spores have been inactivated, and can be as harmful as live mold," said Kelly Reynolds, MSPH, Ph.D. and lead investigator for the study from the University of Arizona. "The study results confirm that denaturing the mold spores with a dilute chlorine bleach solution appears to be the most effective and efficient way to reduce mold allergen on hard surfaces."

Molds can be classified as either the mycotoxin producing molds such as Penicillium and Stachybotrys and the non-toxic molds such as Trichophyton. While the toxicities differ, all mold spores contain allergens, which according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), can aggravate symptoms of both allergies and asthma.

The University of Arizona study yielded 1,330 mold samples and evaluated the growth rate and distribution of household mold on indoor surfaces in 160 homes in seven geographical regions. The regions where sites were frequently positive for fungal counts include the far west (San Francisco), Southwest (Tucson, AZ; Dallas, TX), Midwest (Chicago), Southeast (Atlanta, Tampa, FL), and Northeast (New York) regions of the United States.

The study, which also looked at consumer perceptions towards mold, demonstrated that mold is far more pervasive in the home than people believe. While consumers understand that mold is a health concern, they are confused with the extent of the problem in their homes, with just 17 percent believing mold is an issue inside their own homes. Significant confusion also exists with the best way to effectively treat the issue.

The abstract for this study, "Efficacy of Sodium Hypochlorite Disinfectant on the Viability and Allergenic Properties of Household Mold," (abstract 617) was published in the February issue of the Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology.

SOURCE University of Arizona

CONTACT: For a copy of the study contact, Kelly Reynolds, MSPH, Ph.D. of

University of Arizona, +1-520-626-2309, Reynolds@u.arizona.edu; or Adrienne

Hymes For The CLOROX Company, +1-310-566-2292, Adrienne.hymes@pr21.com

http://www.prnewswire.com
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:05   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA and Chesapeake
Boat: C&C, Crusader 40 Yellow Bird
Posts: 67
I cleared out the mold problem on a power boat I used to own about 20 years ago.
I removed evrything I could move from the boat, opened all the cabinets and hatches,then with a garden sprayer 1/3 filled the with common chlorox bleach and 2/3 water sprayed it. After waiting until the black turned to yellow, it wipes of quickly and is removed easily.

It makes a 3 day job into a short morning job with the garden sprayer.
__________________

__________________
HAwkcharter
HAwkcharter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.