Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 14:30   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
Most Unsatisfying

Were going north next week for 3 weeks of sailing. The boat is getting hauled Tuesday for a bottom scrub, cup of paint, zinc stuffing box repack. I got bogged down and the schedule at work is crazy waited to long to schedule this. The plan is to start sanding and then sand. And sand some more. Some one had a method for prepping the surface for bottom pain that was not sanding? What was it? 3 years ago I took it back to gel and did the barrier thing so I'm not worried about build up just bond. I'm an idiot I could have had it done but I tried scheduling to late and 1 week disappeared off the calendar. The week that has gone missing was between July 3rd and July 10th. Any one have any luck glueing in an extra week on a paper calendar. I so do not want to sand.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 14:58   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Most unsatisfying

I would think it would depend upon whether or not the prior bottom job was ablative paint or not. Mine is ablative so when its due for another bottom job all I really need to do is pressure wash and give it a good scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush, after all there's really nothing left to sand except gelcoat and/or barrier coat.

If you do need to sand, you have a couple of choices. One you gather your friends (the ones that you were going to dump anyway) and have a sanding party. Bring some beer and toss in a pizza or two and you're golden. Or golden until the next time you do a bottom job.

Another option, is hire someone to just do the sanding. At the yard I go to there is always someone eager and willing to pick up a few extra bucks and some do fine work. You'll have to negotiate the price but around here I suspect $50-100 will do the job.

Anyway that's my 2-cents. I wish you hadn't posted this question though because I am now overdue for a haulout and bottom job and I was trying not to think about it.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 15:51   #3

I was do and surprised how fast it went from I can scub a little to nasty bottom. Sailing to the lift now and god she's slow. I have Trinidad non ablative. 3 years on the bottom job. I may still hire a crew to give her a quick sand. Someone suggested acetone or denatured alcohol something like that on a rag. And just wiping it down after washing.just let time run out the guys with great rates are booked so it's money or time
Old 02-07-2011, 16:41   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

88 feet of bottom is a lot of sanding. Plus breathing in all that stuff can't be good. It's not hard to make an arguement in favor of having the professionals do the sanding for you.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 17:05   #5

Problem is in my youth I did this damn it I still can I just dint want to. Your right. I'm making phone calls
Old 02-07-2011, 17:56   #6

pressure wash and paint. or hire someone to sand!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 19:58   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I'm afraid you're going to have to get it sanded one way or another. There is a no sand method for bare fiberglass but painting over old paint involves sanding with coarse grit paper. Her is a link to the application instructions for Trinidad SR: http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...trinidadsr.pdf
Old 02-07-2011, 20:31   #8

Thanks Damn it. No miracle cure.