Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 07:16   #1

Boat: Cascade, 36
Most expensive haul out in the world

I just got quoted $19.80 a foot to haul out and splash our boat at the La Cruz Shipyard in lovely Mexico. And it got me wondering where the most expensive place was to haul out your boat. Does anyone have any first hand information about a place that's more expensive?

If not, we might have the world's priciest haul out right here in Banderas Bay!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:18   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Most expensive haul out in the world

Oh, I can beat that -- 938 euros for a 54' boat in Kotka, Finland. That's lift out, hold in slings for one hours, and splash. That's $1275 or $23.62/foot.

Needless to say, I refused this "generous" offer .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:28   #3

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Doesn't seem that expensive to me! Here is a price list from Torrensen's Marine here in Muskegon MI. Not sure if your quote included storage or not, so I guess it could be apples and oranges.

Outside Storage
$23.95 per lineal foot
Rate includes haul out, bottom wash, storage, and launch.
Outside Storage Only: $ 19.50 per lineal foot
Inside Storage
Space is reserved by deposit. Rate includes haul out, bottom wash, storage, and launch.
Heated: $6.50 per square foot. (LOA x Beam x $6.50)
Cold: $4.25 per square foot (LOA x Beam x $4.25)
Inside Storage Only:
Heated: $5.00 per square foot. (LOA x Beam x $5.00)
Cold: $3.00 per square foot (LOA x Beam x $3.00)
$150.00 flat fee for boats under 110 square feet.
Mast Derigging for Storage
Time ($90.00 per hr) plus materials **
Mast Stepping & Rigging
Time ($90.00 per hr) plus materials **

This is also a heck of alot cheaper than some other marinas in the Great Lakes like around Chicago, Holland, and Traverse City. I didn't think our prices were that bad but then we have a small boat!

Ahh here is just a haul and relauch fees by the linear ft
$8.00 Includes haul or launch.
$9.50 Includes haul, hold in slings, launch (one day).
Old 03-07-2014, 07:38   #4

I know it's not what you mean, but it was an expensive haul out.....

We where anchored about 1/2nm away and viewed the failure looking at the stern....it took a few seconds for the brain to register what happened...

IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:45   #5

Dockhead, I think we have a winner!! Though the hour in the slings might have put you over. We will just say it's a close one. Btw, how was cruising in Finland? Besides being expensive.

And appick, while that does seem on the pricey side, I was just talking about hauling the boat out of the water, putting it on stands and then splashing it. Your marina prices hauling the boat out and leaving it in the sling at $9.50 a foot. Not quite the same, but still.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
I know it's not what you mean, but it was an expensive haul out.....

We where anchored about 1/2nm away and viewed the failure looking at the stern....it took a few seconds for the brain to register what happened...

I like how the guy in charge said, "That's not how I intended it to happen." Poor guy, but still funny!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:59   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettiedelMar View Post
Dockhead, I think we have a winner!! Though the hour in the slings might have put you over. We will just say it's a close one. Btw, how was cruising in Finland? Besides being expensive.

Cruising in Finland is awesome -- one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. It is not actually that expensive -- the berthing, like almost everywhere in the Baltic, is really inexpensive and good. I'm currently paying 20 euros (about $27) a day for a nice alongside berth with excellent electric service included, in the center of a nice city. The marina has a fantastic sauna -- also included in the berthing price. That's for a 54' boat.

Only problem has been that the weather has been freakishly awful -- 10C and rainy almost every day for the last month

Groceries, fuel, and alcohol are very, very expensive, however. Fuel is one of the reasons why we're going to Russia -- less than half price, and no biodiesel in it (in Finland, it's 8% biocrap, and costs about 1.70 euros per liter (over $9 gallon -- ouch!). I need about 600 liters, so I will save probably $700 or $800. As to alcohol -- stores taken on board at Helgoland (Beefeater export strength gin, 47% -- 9.50 a liter -- wow!) are still holding up, despite the best efforts of the crew
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:30   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

That price is very close to what Shelter Bay in Panama charges, and is less than what Flamenco in Panama City charges. We were quoted $75/ft to be hauled and blocked at Ferroalquimar in Cartagena Colombia. Winter storage on the hard in Noank Shipyard CT cost $57/ft back in 2006.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49   #9

Boat: Able 50

Wow ! That's huge.

I paid $40/foot including haulout, stands and launch, last winter for outside storage
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That price is very close to what Shelter Bay in Panama charges, and is less than what Flamenco in Panama City charges. We were quoted $75/ft to be hauled and blocked at Ferroalquimar in Cartagena Colombia. Winter storage on the hard in Noank Shipyard CT cost $57/ft back in 2006.

Mark
Hey, Mark! How are you and Michelle? We miss you guys! I had originally thought, oh, surely Shelter Bay charges more, but they charge $12 a foot, according to their website. I'll check out Flamenco. Was the $75 a foot in Cartagena just for the haul out??! If so, you win. But if that includes the painting too, then not so much.

I'm also not sure what winter storage on the hard entails, only sailing in warmer climates and all. Do the yards do something beyond hauling out, blocking and splashing?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettiedelMar View Post
Hey, Mark! How are you and Michelle? We miss you guys! I had originally thought, oh, surely Shelter Bay charges more, but they charge $12 a foot, according to their website. I'll check out Flamenco. Was the $75 a foot in Cartagena just for the haul out??! If so, you win. But if that includes the painting too, then not so much.

I'm also not sure what winter storage on the hard entails, only sailing in warmer climates and all. Do the yards do something beyond hauling out, blocking and splashing?
Ah yes, the SB price was for a catamaran - I forgot that they charge a bit more for those. $12/ft is the correct price for monos.

The $75/ft was just for haulout, but this was an unusual situation that I hope has been remedied by now. When we were there, that yard had just changed owners, tore out all of their facilities and were planning new ones, bought the largest travelift I have ever seen (300 ton), and were attempting to get catamarans to pay for that lift and rennovation in a single year by charging them whopping amounts of money for a haul out (they are the only yard in Cartagena that can haul cats).

Of course, all of us catamarans that were waiting to be hauled out by them simply left and they got no business at all that year. I bet they have changed their pricing by now!

Winter storage on the hard only involves hauling, putting the boat in a field for several months, and relaunching. One pays extra for that quality time in the back field…

Hope you two, the bambino and SV are all well!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:45   #12

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

She's asking about JUST haul, block, and launch, not including storage. Storage is another $1.00/ foot/ day.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:50   #13

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

So $1240.00 a month for a 40 footer on the hard.
Old 04-07-2014, 13:01   #14

Boat: Various

Often times it's based on the equipment used. That can lead to some real disparities. For instance, LMC charges $7.50/ft with the 75 ton lift, $13/ft with the 100 ton lift and $27.50 with the 300 ton lift.

Playboy only has an 88 ton lift and charges different rates based on length ranging from $3.25/ft for 36-44' to $6.75/ft over 72'. Marina Mile charges from $4/ft for 25-35' to $6/ft for 65-75'.

Riscioli has a 352 ton lift and charges a minimum of $750 and rates from $20-$27.50/ft. based on length.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:16   #15

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Wow !! so Bermuda is not the most expensive place in the world. $16 per ft, includes pressure wash, 3 days in the yard. DIY welcomed.

Tags
haul out