Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 06:22   #181

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Most boats have liners; which ones do it best?

This hull to deck flange is Hunter my 2 cents muhahaha...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:13   #182

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Of course there are many cored vessels without issues, vast majority I would hope, and of course if you can investigate thoroughly you will find that something was done wrong, either in the build or during maintenance / modifications.
The point is though sort of like grids and bolted on keels, there is a possibility of failure with a core.
In my last search for a new boat I was hot for a J44/46, something fast yet easy for two people to handle. I found lots of evidence that these boats are known for having soft decks/hulls. There was one boatyard link showing the work involved to replace 1/3 of the core in 44 foot hull, it was a factory defect at the exhaust port. One yachtworld listing described in detail how the owner repaired the wet core. Many J-boats are raced and lots of owners add new hardware on deck and that probably accounts for the soft decks.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:28   #183
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
In my last search for a new boat I was hot for a J44/46, something fast yet easy for two people to handle. I found lots of evidence that these boats are known for having soft decks/hulls. There was one boatyard link showing the work involved to replace 1/3 of the core in 44 foot hull, it was a factory defect at the exhaust port. One yachtworld listing described in detail how the owner repaired the wet core. Many J-boats are raced and lots of owners add new hardware on deck and that probably accounts for the soft decks.

And what accounts for the soft hulls? I have done a whole lot of these.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 12:49   #184
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think this is the thread wherein I said I'd post some pics of flimsy Bavaria interior. So here it is. I had said rule of thumb for me is Iist be able to fall against it or grab it while falling without it breaking for it to be ok for yacht interior. This is injection molded plastic with a hideous faux wood finish, less than 1/8" thick. I could snap it with one hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	113166  

Old 16-11-2015, 12:50   #185
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The usual one pic per post on an iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	163
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	113167  

Old 16-11-2015, 12:53   #186
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sure it's light weight, but cheap cheap cheap. If it breaks when you look at it funny and it can't be fixed, that's poor construction. Seems to be the general build philosophy, though.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	151
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	113168  

Old 16-11-2015, 12:55   #187
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Even the hatch frames are molded plastic. Fugly.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	130
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	113169  

Old 16-11-2015, 13:37   #188

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I think this is the thread wherein I said I'd post some pics of flimsy Bavaria interior. So here it is. I had said rule of thumb for me is Iist be able to fall against it or grab it while falling without it breaking for it to be ok for yacht interior. This is injection molded plastic with a hideous faux wood finish, less than 1/8" thick. I could snap it with one hand.
But, but, it suuure looks purty, don't it?

That is almost sinful that boats are produced like that. Absolutely horrible. What is the rest of the furniture? IKEA press wood?
Old 16-11-2015, 14:20   #189

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
But, but, it suuure looks purty, don't it?

That is almost sinful that boats are produced like that. Absolutely horrible. What is the rest of the furniture? IKEA press wood?
"Ikea press wood" (that is, chip board, which is nasty), would seem to be a big fat no-no on a yacht, considering that it practically explodes when exposed to moisture.

But no -- it's actually pretty common. The Oyster 485 I almost bought had it -- there was a broken piece. With a thin veneer of American white oak over it. That was a mega expensive boat (couple of million dollars when new) with interior designed by Andrew Winch, and built in the "good old days" when not much was done for lightness. And -- chip board joinery.

I haven't found any chip board on my boat yet, but the joinery in general is a bit below the Oyster standard -- at least the hardware and fixing methods are. So I won't be surprised if I find some somewhere on my boat.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:21   #190
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I just mounted probably a 50 lb inverter / charger under my chart table, attach point being the table. I had some concern due to weight and G loads if we got in some pounding. I opened the table and stood in it, where I mounted the inveter.
I can see during design there being an argument that there was too much strength built into the table, wasting both money and weight. But it enabled me to mount a stupidly heavy thing to the bottom of it.
I like "overbuilt" and am willing to accept a higher cost, and lower performance that comes with it.
A very big reason I bought an IP, is the supposed impossibility of getting a soft deck, or hull. Hull is solid, deck does have a core, but it's supposedly completely waterproof.
I don't know, but does anyone have knowledge of an IP with a soft deck?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:27   #191
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"chip board" , "pressed wood" "engineered wood" there are other names, but truth is if it used waterproof glue, is superior in pretty much all respects to "real" wood.
Marine plywood is an example, or try to find a "solid wood" dining room table, you can't, they are all veneer covered chip board, plywood etc as solid wood isn't stable, it warps and cracks when it gets that big.
I doubt any of our boat furniture is "solid wood", unless you have a very old boat.

Old 16-11-2015, 14:50   #192
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"chip board" , "pressed wood" "engineered wood" there are other names, but truth is if it used waterproof glue, is superior in pretty much all respects to "real" wood.
Marine plywood is an example, or try to find a "solid wood" dining room table, you can't, they are all veneer covered chip board, plywood etc as solid wood isn't stable, it warps and cracks when it gets that big.
I doubt any of our boat furniture is "solid wood", unless you have a very old boat.

So not true. I may have to post pics of my parents massively constructed solid teak house furniture, which is almost 200 years old. Not a single check. Properly stickered quarter sawn wood can last hundreds of years, in massive dimensions, without checking. IF it's quality old growth timber. Old square riggers were sometimes still in service after 150 years.

Old 16-11-2015, 14:53   #193
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
"Ikea press wood" (that is, chip board, which is nasty), would seem to be a big fat no-no on a yacht, considering that it practically explodes when exposed to moisture.

But no -- it's actually pretty common. The Oyster 485 I almost bought had it -- there was a broken piece. With a thin veneer of American white oak over it. That was a mega expensive boat (couple of million dollars when new) with interior designed by Andrew Winch, and built in the "good old days" when not much was done for lightness. And -- chip board joinery.

I haven't found any chip board on my boat yet, but the joinery in general is a bit below the Oyster standard -- at least the hardware and fixing methods are. So I won't be surprised if I find some somewhere on my boat.

My Nauticat is all Bruynzeel. Haven't found less than nine ply. All looks like the day it was built.

Old 16-11-2015, 15:08   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
So not true. I may have to post pics of my parents massively constructed solid teak house furniture, which is almost 200 years old. Not a single check. Properly stickered quarter sawn wood can last hundreds of years, in massive dimensions, without checking. IF it's quality old growth timber. Old square riggers were sometimes still in service after 150 years.

As I said, I doubt if any of our boats have solid wood furniture, unless its a very OLD boat.
Our bedroom furniture is all solid, and very old. Antique, I have no idea how old, but been told probably late 1800's
I had an old building on the back of my property that was rumored to be slave quarters, it and the barn are old growth pine. and if you cut one of those boards and look at the growth rings, and or even drive a nail into it, you immediately know it's vastly more dense.
What I am growing now or was growing anyway grew to full maturity in like 20 to 30 years, and is considered to be "sap wood".
The old growth stuff is almost all gone now, and while I do not know this but have been told old growth teak essentially is non existent?

What was, is not necessarily true anymore, we have to live with "engineered wood" etc., as the old growth dense wood just isn't out there, OK you find some of it sunk from where it was logged 100 yrs ago etc., but that is a very small percentage of lumber, and it costs.

Old 16-11-2015, 17:04   #195
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As I said, I doubt if any of our boats have solid wood furniture, unless its a very OLD boat.
Our bedroom furniture is all solid, and very old. Antique, I have no idea how old, but been told probably late 1800's
I had an old building on the back of my property that was rumored to be slave quarters, it and the barn are old growth pine. and if you cut one of those boards and look at the growth rings, and or even drive a nail into it, you immediately know it's vastly more dense.
What I am growing now or was growing anyway grew to full maturity in like 20 to 30 years, and is considered to be "sap wood".
The old growth stuff is almost all gone now, and while I do not know this but have been told old growth teak essentially is non existent?

What was, is not necessarily true anymore, we have to live with "engineered wood" etc., as the old growth dense wood just isn't out there, OK you find some of it sunk from where it was logged 100 yrs ago etc., but that is a very small percentage of lumber, and it costs.

Precisely. Just one of the reasons an older boat can be a sound investment. Often they are built with materials and methods which would be exorbitantly expensive today. Hence liners on production boats.