Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-03-2016, 05:46   #1

Month trip. Bottom Paint?

Hi all,
In May a buddy and I are taking my O'Day 22 for about a month in the North Carolina OBX. My boat has never touched salt before (yes I know, it'll be fine). It has some type of bottom paint but it has all but chipped off. Previously the boat sat in an airplane hanger for about 20 years and I'm sure what paint was there cracked and the times I've taken it to our local lake chipped it all off.
My question is: should I just go as is and get scrubbing once a week while on water, sand off what is there, sand and apply a single coat of anti foul, or what? After the trip it'll be back on the trailer. We will have a fair amount of time on anchor so growth is expected.
This is (like everything for everyone) a budget trip. I don't mind doing work however. Any suggestions would be super helpful.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 10-03-2016, 05:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Month trip. Bottom Paint?

If you don't add some sort of bottom paint you will need to dive and clean the bottom daily not once a week, but if you are willing to commit to that you can get away with it short term. The other option is to apply the softest ablative you can find and when the trip is over preassure wash the paint off.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:15   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Either way if the existing paint is loose and flaky it will need to all come off before anything else goes back on or it will take the new paint off, look dreadful and represent a relief map of the Himalayas. Then you will have a trully memorable experience sorting that out, those of us that have done it still shudder at the thought.

If the boat lives on a trailer then a hard paint may be more effective because bunks and trailer rollers will mark the paint badly. A powerboat hard antifouling will with stand the the use of a trailer far better.

Any chance of finding an industrial pressure washer for a couple of hours, not one of those home depot ones and really blast the last of the paint off and then for a monthI would risk it, but plan on weekly scrubbing in a shallow bay, wearing a wetsuit. You should be able to stand up with the boat still afloat and reach all the hull if she is only 22ft.

Pete
Old 10-03-2016, 06:19   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

Welocme to CF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartruff View Post
taking my O'Day 22 for about a month in the North Carolina OBX.
Usually, going from sweet to salt water (or vice versa) will kill off a lot of whatver is growing under there

Whatever bottom paint you choose, base it on the water your boat will be in most of the time. You can do that before you leave or after you return, doesn't really matter too much.

Since your boat will be hauled when you return, I'd personally do it at that point - but if she's on a trailer now too and you have the time before you leave, you could just get it done now.

My boat has some chipped off, years old bottom paint and has been in the water for 2 yrs now. Friend is a diver but haven't needed him yet (boat is in brackish water). He did dive here, but so far whatever AF is left is working
Old 10-03-2016, 06:56   #5

Thanks for the response. I guess it should be noted that this will be a one time salting. I'm okay with whatever I put on being a one time. I'll check out the soft paint. I do have access to a rather large washer.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-03-2016, 07:00   #6

Boat: Ohlson 29

I wouldn't paint the bottom just for a one-time, one month sail, to be honest

(Not saying you shouldn't -- more admitting I'm lazy and only do what needs to be done, haha)
Old 10-03-2016, 07:58   #7

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I don't think there is a bottom paint that works for both fresh and salt water. If you put a salt water paint on then come out and go to fresh and want protection,, you will have to sand it all off and start over. That is what I was was advised going to Florida and and returning to Kentucky Lake in 13/14. I have VC-17 and just had a diver in Florida do the bottom monthly while there. I would have to completely sand off the VC-17 to start over with a salt water paint, then reverse that coming back to fresh water. It isn't worth it.

When back in Mobile, I pulled the boat to check my prop, pressure washed it and came back up the river system. It seemed to me that the fouling is worse in the lakes in the summer than I experienced during the winter time in SW Florida. If I were you, I'd pressure wash off the old paint and wait until you get back into fresh water to paint.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-03-2016, 08:27   #8

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

(Not saying you shouldn't -- more admitting I'm lazy and only do what needs to be done, haha)
what she said. just go have fun.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:52   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I believe it is your call, six of one half a dozen of the other. I think you may be surprised at how fast grass will form, if you don't mind mowing so what.

The idea of a pressure washer and a hard bottom paint makes sense if paint is your call.

Worst case the Outer Banks will have enough tide that you can beach a 22 O'Day if the water is cold.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:52   #10

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

If the boat is moving daily, and at a fairly reasonable speed, it will also help keeping the hull clean.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:21   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I wouldn't worry about it. Powerboaters do it all the time without bottom paint. Bottom paint wont stop the growth entirely anyway, it will just kill it after it's attached.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:49   #12

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

I am in the "just go for " camp. One month's worth of growth after sailing and anchoring won't be much more to pressure wash off than what you already have with what's left of the chipping paint.
As per Lizzy Belle:
Quote:

Old 10-03-2016, 13:18   #13

Longest I ever had a trailered boat in salt water was a little over three weeks (in Florida). The bottom growth was minimal and easily cleaned off with a pressure washer after I hauled the boat out. Based on my own experience, I would consider it a complete waste to pay for bottom-painting your boat for a one month trip.
Old 10-03-2016, 13:38   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If the boat lives on a trailer then a hard paint may be more effective because bunks and trailer rollers will mark the paint badly. A powerboat hard antifouling will with stand the the use of a trailer far better.
Hard paints typically cannot withstand prolonged exposure to air, which is why ablative paints are recommended for use on trailered boats. If the OP paints with an ablative, he could theoretically repeat a similar saltwater trip many times. A hard paint will be ruined within a few days of coming out of the water.
Old 10-03-2016, 13:44   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
I don't think there is a bottom paint that works for both fresh and salt water.
Of course there is. In fact, most anti fouling paints will provide anti fouling protection in both fresh and saltwater. Two noticeable exceptions are I nterlux VC17, which is intended for freshwater use only and Interlux Micron 66, which will be ruined by short exposure to freshwater. I know of no other products that can't move between fresh and saltwater and still perform as intended.

Tags
bottom paint, paint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: