Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 15:08   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Month trip. Bottom Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Of course there is. In fact, most anti fouling paints will provide anti fouling protection in both fresh and saltwater. Two noticeable exceptions are I nterlux VC17, which is intended for freshwater use only and Interlux Micron 66, which will be ruined by short exposure to freshwater. I know of no other products that can't move between fresh and saltwater and still perform as intended.
I don't think the OP will ever need the paint again being a trailer sailor.

Don't many need to be applied and hit the water ASAP?

If nothing else a well struck waterline might look good when she is on the trailer.

If it were I, for a month I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the growth will be just at or below the waterline. A long handled brush will allow getting it from top sides.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 21:28   #17

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Month trip. Bottom Paint?

Thanks for the advice Fstbttms. Being a fresh water sailer and using VC 17, I thought that all were like that. I think I would have to sand all the VC17 back to gel coat and start over to change. What is the best salt/fresh combo paint?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 04:04   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kbartruff.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:15   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Hard paints typically cannot withstand prolonged exposure to air, which is why ablative paints are recommended for use on trailered boats. .
You beat me to it. The instructions for the paint I use say the maximum time out of the water is three days before the paint will be damaged.
Old 14-03-2016, 07:19   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
............ What is the best salt/fresh combo paint?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
There is no one "best". It depends on a lot of things. Many of the bottom paint manufacturers have paint selection guides on their websites. You put in various information on the part of the country, type of water, type of boat, etc. and the selector will pick the correct paint for you.
Old 14-03-2016, 09:19   #21

My Contessa 26 had VC17 on it and was in salt water. It didn't seem to be any worse than other bottom paints I had. Of course up here in the PNW the growth isn't like Florida etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 09:51   #22

In days of yore, prior to any type of treated pilings, I understand dock builders would use house paint loaded up with the hottest pepper they could get. Just food for thought about doing it with bottom paint.
Old 14-03-2016, 10:45   #23
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
What is the best salt/fresh combo paint?
The best? Pettit Trinidad, IMHO. But maybe you don't need the best.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 10:48   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
In days of yore, prior to any type of treated pilings, I understand dock builders would use house paint loaded up with the hottest pepper they could get. Just food for thought about doing it with bottom paint.
I have never heard of (or seen) pilings coated with pepper-loaded house paint. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is a wives-tale when it comes to working in anti fouling paint. There is absolutely ZERO evidence that peppers of any kind are a deterrent to fouling organisms.
Old 14-03-2016, 11:23   #25

Quote:
I have never heard of (or seen) pilings coated with pepper-loaded house paint. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is a wives-tale when it comes to working in anti fouling paint. There is absolutely ZERO evidence that peppers of any kind are a deterrent to fouling organisms.
I'm pushing 73 and I probably heard that 40 years ago from someone my age then +, that had a marine railway. I did it, wouldn't even say it was scientific.
I bought 5 gal of surplus USN paint. Sat on the hill for close ten years launched and sat at my dock in a tidal creek for about ten yrs. Not a whisker of growth.
The paint, the environment or the pepper? You tell me. It was a suggestion since the OP being a trailer sailor if he uses bottom paint alone it will probably be a waste being exposed to air. My humble two bits.
Old 14-03-2016, 12:50   #26
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I
The paint, the environment or the pepper? You tell me.
I just did tell you. It doesn't work. If it did, you'd find pepper-laced anti fouling paints on every chandlery shelf. If it did, you'd find $20 an ounce bottles of ground cayenne at West Marine. If it did, every paint manufacturer in the world would be all over it.

But none of that has happened. Because it doesn't work.
Old 14-03-2016, 14:24   #27

Quote:
I just did tell you. It doesn't work. If it did, you'd find pepper-laced anti fouling paints on every chandlery shelf. If it did, you'd find $20 an ounce bottles of ground cayenne at West Marine. If it did, every paint manufacturer in the world would be all over it.

But none of that has happened. Because it doesn't work.
As I said. Just my two bits with a very unscientific application. Some one can take it for what it may be worth or not. Was it the paint or the pepper? Most paints don't hold up when exposed to air for 10yrs or last that long with no whiskers In a tidal creek. Someone, in the past said the gov. didn't have access to any better paint than the public. That is probably pure BS so it may have been the paint. Either way go to a gov. auction and use pepper. Harbaneros (sp?) may be better. If I still had waterside and the paint, I'd paint one plank each way and hang them off the dock, just for shits and giggles.

Question, have you tried it?
Old 14-03-2016, 14:38   #28
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Someone, in the past said the gov. didn't have access to any better paint than the public. That is probably pure BS...
The military is under no obligation to abide by the same laws and regulations regarding anti fouling paint that you and I are. That said, they have little interest in causing more environmental harm than they already do. So they use the same products that you and I can buy. In addition, many of their international ports of call have much stricter regulation on this issue than the U.S. does, yet the military still needs to visit these places.

So yes, the government can use whatever they like. But they choose to use anti fouling products that are identical to the paint you and I use.

Quote:
Question, have you tried it?
No. Why would I? The true experts, the paint manufacturing industry, have told me it would be a waste of time and pepper. Why not mix vinegar into your paint? Just like peppers, it can be unpleasant to the human palate. But that doesn't mean it would repel fouling organisms.
Old 14-03-2016, 15:35   #29

Quote:
The military is under no obligation to abide by the same laws and regulations regarding anti fouling paint that you and I are. That said, they have little interest in causing more environmental harm than they already do. So they use the same products that you and I can buy. In addition, many of their international ports of call have much stricter regulation on this issue than the U.S. does, yet the military still needs to visit these places.

So yes, the government can use whatever they like. But they choose to use anti fouling products that are identical to the paint you and I use.

No. Why would I? The true experts, the paint manufacturing industry, have told me it would be a waste of time and pepper. Why not mix vinegar into your paint? Just like peppers, it can be unpleasant to the human palate. But that doesn't mean it would repel fouling organisms.
As I said the pepper was not scientific or a controlled experiment just an observation. Do you really think a paint co. is going to tell you they make paint for the gov. using things band for public use by the EPA years ago? Gov. contracts are big business not nickel and dime gallons of paint. The fewer times they have to dry dock is fine with me. It is my nickel paying for it.
Old 15-03-2016, 23:59   #30
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartruff View Post
Hi all,
In May a buddy and I are taking my O'Day 22 for about a month in the North Carolina OBX. My boat has never touched salt before (yes I know, it'll be fine). It has some type of bottom paint but it has all but chipped off. Previously the boat sat in an airplane hanger for about 20 years and I'm sure what paint was there cracked and the times I've taken it to our local lake chipped it all off.
My question is: should I just go as is and get scrubbing once a week while on water, sand off what is there, sand and apply a single coat of anti foul, or what? After the trip it'll be back on the trailer. We will have a fair amount of time on anchor so growth is expected.
This is (like everything for everyone) a budget trip. I don't mind doing work however. Any suggestions would be super helpful.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I'm not clear how the boat will be used after your North Carolina trip.

If you will require anti-fouling for freshwater use after the trip, I recommend Interlux VC17. It is a really fast paint. Almost all Lake Ontario (freshwater sailors) use it. Very easy to maintain. Won't build up or require stripping.

We have had trailerable boats that were slipped full season in Lake Ontario, that we took south for various trips (Chesapeake, Pamlico Sound, Pensacola, Keys, etc.) After 2 weeks, in the water the hull was clean as a whistle on haulout, every time.

I have a Lake Ontario customer with a 2007 Beneteau Oceanis 46, that took his boat south to the Bahamas twice, and never changed out his VC-17. Just had a diver scrape it with a plastic blade every three months. That he did it twice, is a pretty good indication that it wasn't a problem.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint