Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2013, 20:57   #16

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Mono vs multihull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylieh View Post
Thanks, any word on which brand is better or is it like a ford chev thing?
Wharram is a better brand.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1188600
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:07   #17

Wow thanks but 300k is a bit over my budget I'm hoping to find something in the 150 or less range, hopefully I'm not dreaming or maybe a mono haul is my only option.
Wylieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:14   #18

You won't get much if anything for less than $150 As far as pointing ability if the cat is well designed and has dagger boards they will outpoint many mono hulled cruisers
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:15   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

BVI Yacht Sales Ltd. (St. Thomas,, Virgin Islands (US))
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:17   #20

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Wylieh, I suggest that you start by making a list of your to 3 or so features in a boat, then work from there.

Price derives from size, not from hull design, and unfortunately for cat lovers only larger, more expensive cats are suitable for liveaboard (i.e. 34' and up, which is roughly equivalent to say a 45' and up mono).

If that size and/or price are out of your range, then you need a smaller boat, and that puts you in a monohull design if you need liveaboard-type comfort.

However, there is an increasing supply of modern-design cruising catamarans nearing the 20 year old mark that is making them more affordable than in the past. In a few years, I expect (hope) that they will be widely available in the 150k and down price range for a 40ft boat.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:19   #21

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Wow thanks but 300k is a bit over my budget I'm hoping to find something in the 150 or less range, hopefully I'm not dreaming or maybe a mono haul is my only option.
well, I posted about a 50ft one that was free in another thread today,
so there is a rather large range of options, but not as much variety as mono hauls.

TEE provided lots of good info. The doubling of stuff also means you have redundancy, which is important traveling in the open ocean.

I think anyone looking to spend over $100k should be doing much research.
This forum is good, but a lot of couch clowns here like myself...

JackB
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
You won't get much if anything for less than $150 As far as pointing ability if the cat is well designed and has dagger boards they will outpoint many mono hulled cruisers
I can pick up a 150k Gemini 105 in nearly new condition right now, well outfitted - very tempting to me right now.

The prices are coming down as the more modern styles are hitting the 20 year mark.

Still, expect to pay upwards of 100k for a liveable catamaran that is not extremely old and worn, or of an odd design.
Old 23-03-2013, 21:23   #23

I really know little about cats but I have sailed them and there are some I think would be OK for offshore. I always thought the Gemini was more of a coastal cruiser type but maybe that was earlier on, I've been away from it for awhile.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I really know little about cats but I have sailed them and there are some I think would be OK for offshore. I always thought the Gemini was more of a coastal cruiser type but maybe that was earlier on, I've been away from it for awhile.
A gemini is not a perfect liveaboard. This one includes a full enclosure for the rear deck. I think with some creativity and a full enclosure, a Gemini can be suitable for liveaboard, though clearly not at the same level as a Lagoon or Leopard.

It has the benefits of a narrow beam for standard slips, and daggerboards for superior upwind performance. I think I have heard of a Gemini, or perhaps it was a PDQ flipping or nearly flipping when sailing hard with the wrong board down. It's the only story I've heard so far of a production cat flipping under non-hurricane conditions.
Old 23-03-2013, 21:30   #25

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

One problem with answering your question is that not all cats are equal and not all monohulls are equal. Some cats will outpoint some monohulls and some monohulls will run away from some cats.

You will need to get specific about which cat or mono is best suited for what you want to to. Also keep in mind, as has been mentioned, that cats as a rule are more expensive than monos. Often times the reason given for this is that cats offer more features folks want. But this does not mean you will want those features, or want to pay for them.

You may want to come up with a detailed list of things like where you will be sailing, who you will be sailing with, and how long you will be sailing; along with some idea of a proposed budget. As an example some folks like two hulls a cat has so the kids can be in one and parents in the other while other folks like a mono because it is easier to for parents to keep an eye on kids. There is no right or wrong answer to questions like this, just what fits you best.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:56   #26

Boat: too many

A PDQ 36 would be in your price range. Not nearly as fast as a Seawind that Tomfl owns, but a well built little cruiser that is off shore capable. I'm still on the fence myself having owned a Cal 40. The mono has a desirable trait for me as a single hander, and that is if I get caught with a bit too much laundry up, the heeling created by a sneaky gust causes the sail to dump power on its own, and from what I've been told a cat will load up on that gust and could break something.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 22:01   #27
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Cats don't flip but down-under everything is upside down so it's a bit hard to get that straight but once it is, you realize they are still right side up:

Still, you have the issue of operating these:

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 22:25   #28

Quote:
Thanks Capngeo, I was not aware of that, my wife likes the stable platform of the cat and my kids (3) like the space, but I prefer the grace and speed of a mono. But the roll and sink may have swayed me to go with a cat. Also they have far less draft right?
Welcome Wylieh. We're all looking forward to seeing you aboard your new catamaran soon!
Old 23-03-2013, 22:39   #29

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Marina berths are less available for multi-hulled vessels compared to single-hulled. There are just so many end-berths. I can imagine haul outs can be problematic with multi-hulls too. Over here (central California), single-hulled vessels outnumber multi-hulls by something like twenty or more to one.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 22:53   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

I have no interest in which is actually the best, mono or multi. All i know is that i have owned monos and sailed on other folks multis and both my lady and i would miss the heeling and the motion of a mono. If sailing flat is your thing then that is fine, for me it's like cheat sailing. Plus, I have never seen a multihull that i have said " Isn't that just lovely"

Coops.