I made a male plug
today and something odd happened.
for the plug
is female. I waxed it with Partall paste #2 (about 10 coats), the sprayed Partall film #10.
Sprayed tooling gelcoat
and let it setup until tacky.
Next, I layered in some CSM (with polyester resin). I think I had 3 layers in corners and 2 layers in the field
The part is a basin with dimensions of about 14" long, 12" tall, 5" wide at bottom, 9" wide at top.
A few hours later, the resin had kicked and I attempted to remove the plug from the mold
. Came out pretty easy, but the release film/wax did not separate from the plug surface.
Usually, partall #10 will release from the plug surface or leave remnants on the plug, which wash off with water
. But this time something went wrong.
The film residue covered most of the surfaces and was not water
soluble. The material was waxy, like candle was. I don't think it was wax that precipitated out of the gelcoat
because i've used gelcoat from this same can in the past and it contains no wax.
While spraying #10, I periodically sprayed a bit on my forearm to test spray pattern. That sample washed off quickly with water.
During cure, I noticed that the resin got hotter than it normally gets. Maybe I mixed too hot or built it up too quickly.
If partall #2 and/or Partall #10 get hot when resin kicks, will they turn into a waxy coating?
I tried several solvents (acetone, denature alcohol, mineral spirits, Naphtha, and lacquer thinner), but the only one that did much good on the wax was lacquer thinner.
I ended up destroying the female mold to get the plug out. In this instance, that was not a big deal because the female mold was intended to be sacrificial anyway, but the male plug is not and I would like to figure out what happened so when I make my part from the plug, it will pop off easily.
Any ideas what happened?