Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 15:04   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54
moist cabin floors

hi all, i'm looking for some help in figuring out where the moisture on the cabin floors is coming from. when i bought my boat last summer the salesman thought it was coming from condensation from the ac/ heat unit at the evaporators, but i'm getting it without either unit in operation, both fore and aft. the evaporators happen to be at thec bulkheads. i have searched for condensation on the hull and leaks but am finding none . its been going on for years it seems, the laminate is coming off at these areas. thanks for any suggestions.
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 15:13   #2

Boat: PT-11
Re: moist cabin floors

Its gotta be a leak. But need more info to be of help. Is it near a bulkhead, or can you rule out it running down a wall/bulkhead? Are there hatches above? Do you have a headliner, and if so is there a seam above the leaks? Etc.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 16:00   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
I have dealt with the same problem on my boat.

Start with the tanks. Does it smell like holding tank water? If so you know where to start looking. Either way, access the tanks and look for leaks at the tanks and around the pressure pump and water heater. Obviously check with the system pressurized. While we are at it turn off the pressure pump and see if that has an impact.

If it is not leaking from inside, some things I have addressed on Cynosure- re-bedding the genoa tracks and where the chain plate goes through the deck. If there are issues with these, check for core rot in the surrounding deck area.

None of thar repairs are that difficult just a PITA.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 17:12   #4

Boat: SeaWind 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockborn View Post
hi all, i'm looking for some help in figuring out where the moisture on the cabin floors is coming from. when i bought my boat last summer the salesman thought it was coming from condensation from the ac/ heat unit at the evaporators, but i'm getting it without either unit in operation, both fore and aft. the evaporators happen to be at thec bulkheads. i have searched for condensation on the hull and leaks but am finding none . its been going on for years it seems, the laminate is coming off at these areas. thanks for any suggestions.
hi,
you floor, but not bilge?
check all corners around the floor.
I was getting water trough mast inside. drain hole in mast foot was blocked and mast bottom filled with fresh rain water.
cszosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 18:47   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

All the floors are simply covered with water? Or, what, more precisely?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 17:24   #6

thanks for your posts. the moisture areas are both about 2 square feet each and are located port side, at the fore and aft bulkheads right where the ac/heat unit evaporators are. not near the compressors.i have checked the headliners and they are dry, except for slight condensation when the outside temp is below freezing and the humidity is high. its not sewage and the water supply lines are not in the vicinity.
Old 20-03-2013, 18:16   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

It might be worth putting down some polythene on those sections of floor after frying them off. Tape the edges down, then see if there's more water forming under the plastic, or on top of it. If it forms on top of the plastic then it may be coming from the vents. If it is coming up through the floors, it will be under the plastic. If it is somehow moisture being condensed as it comes out of the vents and hits the cold floor, you can check for that by putting down some insulation and seeing if that stops it from forming.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 19:33   #8

Boat: Traditional 30

Sprinkle talcum powder in all areas you think it may be coming from. Then wait a couple of days. Not only will your boat smell like a baby, there will be tracks in the talc for you to follow back to the source of the leak :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 04:07   #9

great ideas. thanks

Tags
cabin, morgan