Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-11-2005, 11:43   #1

Mizzen Mast Step

I find myself looking at a 51' Morgan Out Island Ketch. It needs a little work, (the mizzen mast step needs rebuilt), , but for the most part looks like a very nice boat.

Accrding to the broker, (who appearantly hasn't seen the boat), the mizzen is stepped to the top of the aft cabin.

Comment from broker, "I don't know what it will take but it is deck stepped and requires a new metal structure on the underside of the deck".

Okay....... The mast sits on top of the aft cabin. Does this mean I'm going to have to tear the roof of the aft cabin and rebuild it? Are we talking about $10K or $20K to have this done at a yard? Or is this smething I can grab a keg of rum and invite you guys over to help? (LoL)

You can find pics of the rear mast here:

The boats I raced 18 yrs ago were all keel stepped and much much smaller. So, needless to say I haven't got a clue on a deck stepped mast. I'm assuming this means a large portion of the aft cabin roof will have to be rebuilt.

Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:52   #2

I'm not directly familiar with your particular boat but I have a Cheoy Lee which has deck stepped masts. The support post for the mizzen mast is underneath the cockpit sole and quite frankly would be very easy to remove and replace. I do have access to it through the lazarette. There's nothing special about the post, it's literally just a post. Cut the old one out with a sawzall and replace it.

I would estimate that if I had to do this on my boat that it would take me:

2 hours to remove the old one
1 hour to make up a template for a new one
2 weeks allowed to have a new one made out of stainless ( I would guess around $400.0)
6 hours to install new post properly.

Go sailing.

By Invitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:29   #3

Boat: currently "on the beach"
i don't know how they built the OI. some boats did not have a post under the mizzen mast. extra framing or a knee to a bulkhead were supposed to do it. flexing and water intrusion were the big problem. need to ask broker why it needs a "new metal structure" and what specific damage is present. may not be a big deal, but i don't think the post is the $ issue. sounding hammer and moisture meter.
capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 16:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
Without seeing the specific boat it is hard to tell what the specific repairs would be required. There are a number of aft cabin layouts on the Morgan Out Island 51 but on the most common layout the mizzen mast appears to come down on the cabin top adjacent to the longitudinal bulkhead at the head of the 'tub/shower'. If the mast has sagged into the deck this is potentially a very big repair. To begin with the mast would need to be removed and the mast step removed from the deck.

If the 51 is constructed the same way as the 41, I believe that Morgan cored the deck in this area with plywood. If the deck has sagged it is highly likely the plywood has separated from the fiberglass laminate and the plywood probably has some rot and splitting. To get access to that area the glass would need to be cut away, removed and built back with epoxy and fiberglass cloth.

On some Morgan 51 interior layouts there is a post that is below the mast step and on others there is a simple longitudinal plywood bulkhead. The bulkhead and post are wooden and glassed to the hull. If the bulkhead or post shows sign of movement then they are more than likely no longer properly bonded to the hull. This can be a very serious problem. The cabin sole would need to be removed in the area to get access to the bilge and the joint between the hull and the bulkhead, and post, with the hull. If the bulkhead or post is rotted in the bilge (a very distinct possibility) they will need to be replicated and glassed back into place.

In the worst case this is a very major repair if you consider the costs of getting access, making the repairs, perhaps replacing the bulkhead and post, and putting everything back. This is especially true if you factor in the costs of finishing the new work areas.

But, and this is a big 'but', when you say that there is a mast step problem this may be as minor as replacing the maststep fitting which would simply require removing the mast and constructing a replica maststep.

Depending on the reality of the situation it could be a little as a couple grand to as much as $10-15K.

My best advice would be to get a surveyor or an experienced boatyard manager to look at the damage and give you an estimate and whatever that estimate comes out to, I would allow as much as 50% to 100% more for surprises and aggrevation.

Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 18:34   #5

Thanks Jeff,
Your great, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 22:42   #6
Kai Nui

Sounds like a full keg job to me. I was thinking a case, but when Jeff mentioned the additional fiberglass work, well... Most likely a keg (I have to rate in beer hours, as when I switch to rum things get installed backwards)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: