Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 19:44   #1

Mizzen Chainplate Is Bent . . .

the mizzen mast was broken in a storm...the chainplate was bent...can I straiten it or dose it needs replacing?

also this is a hollow mast...any one can link me to a refit tutorial?

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	24412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	24413  

otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 20:01   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Mizzen Chainplate Is Bent . . .

jobi-- the masts can be redone-- leaky teaky should have a folder on that somewhere-- post a question there, too. you will have to remove the chainplate and take it to a machine shop and see what they can do.. mebbe is able to be saved-- dont know until you take to smart metal man
you willned to address the fiberglass from which teh chainplate was wrenched--- there willbe damage-- will need to be epoxied a bit-- just to make it not be raw fg.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 20:07   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

I would say it is more than just bent. It needs to be replaced. Given it needs to be removed putting it back is going to required a lot of force just to get straight. That process when combined with what twisted it would not recommend confidence. The upper bolt has been sheared so the backing needs to be examined and probably replaced too.

If you need to remove a chain plate the process of removal is usually such a chore that replacement is worth the extra effort. The process to make it straight would weaken it even more than it has been. This is not something you pound back into shape and carry on with.

If these are original plates then they have long since done a full tour of duty. A review of the entire rig is also worth the effort since the severe failure of one plate may have induced other failures perhaps not as visible in the spars and other plates.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 20:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
jobi-- the masts can be redone-- leaky teaky should have a folder on that somewhere-- post a question there, too. you will have to remove the chainplate and take it to a machine shop and see what they can do.. mebbe is able to be saved-- dont know until you take to smart metal man
you willned to address the fiberglass from which teh chainplate was wrenched--- there willbe damage-- will need to be epoxied a bit-- just to make it not be raw fg.
if you look closely the only bolt that pulled thru is the one bolted thru the toe rail...3 other are bolted thru the hull and sufered no apparent damages...I was surprised when I investigated them from the inside.

as for the mast...did you know that some wood pallets used to ship merchandise from asia are made of this exact same exotic wood??
the pallets are free, but if you want to buy this wood from a shop you need a second morgage

what I nedd is a how to refit tutorial...not how to rebuilt entier mast...this I did not find on leaky
cheers
Old 01-03-2011, 20:19   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Jobi,

That chainplate appears to be nothing but a piece of stainless bar stock with two bends set into it and a few holes drilled. Not a big deal to replace at all, and probably less expensive to replace (less labour costs, not very much material cost).

I wouldn't even think about trying to straighten it. Should check all the bolts while you are about it and likely replace them. Again, not very much money compared with the cost of a new mast.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you... ahhhhh, affaires de cour... what's a fellow to do...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 01-03-2011, 20:28   #6

i believe our masts are spruce and the lengths of each piece feathered into the box shaped hollow mast are minimum 10 ft length... glued and clamped..at the spreaders go , there is a solid block for backing the attachments--spreaders, tangs, etc. i have seen discussions of repairs but not yet of building a new one from scratch. maybe wooden boat might have this.
Old 01-03-2011, 20:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Jobi,

That chainplate appears to be nothing but a piece of stainless bar stock with two bends set into it and a few holes drilled. Not a big deal to replace at all, and probably less expensive to replace (less labour costs, not very much material cost).

I wouldn't even think about trying to straighten it. Should check all the bolts while you are about it and likely replace them. Again, not very much money compared with the cost of a new mast.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you... ahhhhh, affaires de cour... what's a fellow to do...

Cheers,

Jim

your right its just a stainless plate...I will change it

also it took me 4 minuts to undo the chainplate with my makita drill...the bolts of all my chainplates are in plain view and easy acces...they look new!!!

cheers
Old 01-03-2011, 20:52   #8

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
pirate Re: Mizzen Chainplate Is Bent . . .

Just to be safe, put in all new SS bolts, washers, lock nuts and make sure the backing plate is not bent. For the cost the new hardware you will be much happier the next time the wind gets above a good breeze.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 21:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i believe our masts are spruce and the lengths of each piece feathered into the box shaped hollow mast are minimum 10 ft length... glued and clamped..at the spreaders go , there is a solid block for backing the attachments--spreaders, tangs, etc. i have seen discussions of repairs but not yet of building a new one from scratch. maybe wooden boat might have this.
yes my mast is also sidka...repairing a broken mast is not a big job and very solid with weldwood when properly clamped...what I need to know is how to make my cuts for maximum strangh?

cheers
Old 01-03-2011, 21:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
Just to be safe, put in all new SS bolts, washers, lock nuts and make sure the backing plate is not bent. For the cost the new hardware you will be much happier the next time the wind gets above a good breeze.
yes I will change the bolts eventho they look good...I understand they where strained.
cheers
Old 01-03-2011, 21:26   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
yes I will change the bolts eventho they look good...I understand they where strained.
cheers
Jobi,

That actually sounds kinda good! If those screws appear new, and from your photos the chainplates actually look fairly new... well, maybe the PO has already renewed all of them... something that is highly recommended on Taiwan-built boats of that era. Good luck with it all.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-03-2011, 00:49   #12

Hey Jobi

To replace or not to replace depends on where you are and the availability of the right size of the correct material (at a reasonable cost). Stainless can be bent around a fair amount without much harm as long as the bend is not on a small radius, nor across much of a change of section. The twist appears to be of a decent radius but across the position of a fastener. A solid (!) offset vise and securely clamped bars on the other side of the twist will afford any amount of grip to re-twist the bar (and then a really solid surface [who has an anvil these days?] and a large hammer -say 12 lb +- to flatten out the inevitable ripples will do).

If you have the flat bar available (probably simple 316, can't see that anything really fancy is called for) at a reasonable cost, then why would you compromise your peace of mind for a few dollars? But if you are in the middle of the Red Sea and hostilities surround you, then... Ultimately you will have to make the call on this.

Good luck with the repair - G
CGB GAREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:46   #13

jobi--ss is weakened by hammering and heating-- you may want to make the bent and twisted plate into a spare and not first line use chainplate....or keep a spare f or it for in case it breaks... make sure the bent external chainplates are backed up with a block between the chainplate and the hull so they donot twist like mine did to crack.

Tags
chain plate