Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 11:12   #1

Boat: PT-11
Metrinch Sockets/Wrenches

Anybody carry metrinch tools on their boat? Since Neko has a combination of SAE and Metric items, I thought one set that can cover both would lighten the load. Looking for insight if they actually work as advertised (one set can metric and SAE nuts).
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:23   #2

Boat: Irwin sloop
Re: Metrinch Sockets/Wrenches

It kinda sounds like an elegant solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:31   #3

Maybe I am having a bad day, but this is a truly non-helpful, useless response. Maybe on an Irwin you don't mind carrying excess tools, but on a cat the goal is to keep weight down and carrying two sets of wrenches is excess weight. Don't know why you say the problem doesn't exist. Thanks for nothing.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Had heard about these in the past but had to go to their web site to recall how they work. Looks interesting and the sales pitch sounds good in theory but not sure how it would work in practise.

Generally for boats I really prefer 6 point sockets or closed end wrenches for the better grip and best chance of getting off a corroded nut or bolt without rounding off the edges. I wonder if the metrinch would work as well.

Having a second set of combination wrenches to cover metris and SAE doesn't seem like that much more space and weight even if you include sockets as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:06   #5

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

The ring spanners work very well on rusted and damaged nuts ,the open enders are useless on any nuts.I have not used their sockets.
Ian.
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:50   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Maybe I am having a bad day, but this is a truly non-helpful, useless response. Maybe on an Irwin you don't mind carrying excess tools, but on a cat the goal is to keep weight down and carrying two sets of wrenches is excess weight. Don't know why you say the problem doesn't exist. Thanks for nothing.

Yea, maybe you are having a bad day. Wasn't the answer you wanted but it was a valid point, that is he didn't see that there was much advantage to the metrinch tools.

I have to ask, on a 51' cat you are trying to save 5-10 lbs worth of tools? I think you would find a lot more weight savings in other areas. Plus if you are planning on serious cruising on a boat that size, tools are not the area where I would try to cut corners.

If the metrinch pan out, sure but if there was any doubt at all I would get a full set of proper tools. As I mentioned, 6 point ring spanners (closed end wrench to me) and sockets. Don't do 12 point as they don't get as good a grip on a frozen nut and much more likely to round off the corners.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 13:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yea, maybe you are having a bad day. Wasn't the answer you wanted but it was a valid point, that is he didn't see that there was much advantage to the metrinch tools.

I have to ask, on a 51' cat you are trying to save 5-10 lbs worth of tools? I think you would find a lot more weight savings in other areas. Plus if you are planning on serious cruising on a boat that size, tools are not the area where I would try to cut corners.

If the metrinch pan out, sure but if there was any doubt at all I would get a full set of proper tools. As I mentioned, 6 point ring spanners (closed end wrench to me) and sockets. Don't do 12 point as they don't get as good a grip on a frozen nut and much more likely to round off the corners.
I asked if anyone carried them and if they worked for both types of fasteners. Did not ask for comments on weight-saving efforts. Answering a question by basically saying that there is no need for the question is not a "valid point". And yes, not carrying two types of sockets and crescents is good space and weight saving if they work as advertised. If they work, and all indications are that they do, why would I carry two sets? Keeping weight down is a constant effort on our boat, as items tend to accrete over time, and we do it everywhere we can. There has been some good info here. The first response, although probably well-intended, was not.
Old 12-12-2011, 13:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian R View Post
The ring spanners work very well on rusted and damaged nuts ,the open enders are useless on any nuts.I have not used their sockets.
Ian.
Ditto. IMO the open-enders would work too, if they were made of better material. They seem to spread under heavy load.

But the ring spanners work very well, in fact you can undo rounded nuts/bolts that conventional ring spanners won't touch. I'd expect the sockets to be similar.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 13:40   #9

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Great, get at least 2 sets -- often need 2 of the same size. And since they tend to break, or go overboard, another set is always good to have as a backup. So 3 sets is the bare minimum. Plus lots of wd40, but you know that...
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 18:15   #10

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

1 each: 8,10,12,13,14,17,19 mm metric sockets, & combo open /box wrenches except have an extra 10mm

1 each: 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, sockets Combo box wrenches

14 is close enough to 9/16 to work if you need 2 as are others

These will cover 99.9 of anything you will need in wreenches and sockets.

Skip the multi/one size fits/only avalible on TV type tools as the will not always fit given the larger size to accomodate the gizmo mechanisim.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 18:36   #11

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares
1 each: 8,10,12,13,14,17,19 mm metric sockets, & combo open /box wrenches except have an extra 10mm

1 each: 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, sockets Combo box wrenches

14 is close enough to 9/16 to work if you need 2 as are others

These will cover 99.9 of anything you will need in wreenches and sockets.

Skip the multi/one size fits/only avalible on TV type tools as the will not always fit given the larger size to accomodate the gizmo mechanisim.
I find I have to use 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" quite often. Others doubles less often.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 18:42   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

For me having the right tool for the job is worth the extra weight. How many times have you wished you had the right tool here and now?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 19:07   #13

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Oh.... David M... We are only starting. I think it it is important to have the tools needed to fix your stuff aboard.

I am not woried about too much weight on the boat only too much in the tool bag.

The original post was about slick combo universal fits all which are interesting but not that usefull. A tool thread amongst us motor heads could rival the joke thread for posts!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 19:22   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive never had ALL the tools i could have had but always had enough to get the job done one way or another ! GOOD tools properly stored, with spares are LITE compared to a broken boat and no tools to fix it ! heck we all carry spare filters, ect ect ect. why go with fancy, when Good tools are one of the best cruisein spares there are ??Heck you have a vast amount of room compared to many of the cruisers on here !! I admit ive made my living most of my 73 yrs with tools so im sorta one way on them lol just my 2cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 19:56   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I dunno...If you have a boat a few years, you just end up with what you need. If you have a 51 ft. boat, I wouldn't worry so much about that sort of thing.
Secondly, be tolerant of any answer you get here...it's a forum not West Marine where they have to be nice to you. I don't think any of the answers you received here were that "useless". In all I have received 99% good advise here and made a few life long friends along the way...JMHO
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote