Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2010, 15:00   #16

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
To date I have not found the lack of insulation in my smaller steel boat a major concern. It does get a bit cool in the V berth where you are closer to the hull, but it is easy to put a pillow beside me. If I was going to Tassie in winter I would be using some Velcro to semi permanently put up some foam. The rest of the boat is well insulated by cupboards and storage.

What they have done in my boat is line the hull with wood slats so there are small gaps for breathing and nothing is ever in contact with steel even inside cupboards etc. There is a decent gap between these and the hull so that air can circulate.

The biggest problem I have found is where moisture can sit on some of the longitudinal ribs and cause rust. I am really going to have to go back and make some more drainage holes so that the water flows instead of pooling. Even with the really good barrier paint I would be concerned any sort of foam or carpet against the steel would aid in the same rust process. I would be really worried about doing the same in any inaccessible part of the boat.

I am going to have to research that Nyalic product before I do some imminent rust repairs. Yes steel does rust, but I am more than happy that I bought a steel boat. If things ever got extreme I would be investing in an oxy torch. Give me enough experience welding etc and I might even look at custom building my next yacht.
Old 19-11-2010, 15:35   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Here is a photo showing insulation of the forward cabin of my steel trawler. Insulation ends near the waterline.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 15:51   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Wow, another old tread revisted, no posts for over 4 years then 7 new posts in a day!
This is one of the many reasons I keep reading CF .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 16:59   #19

Boat: grampian 26
Cold metal+ warm moist air= condensation.Take it from there.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 16:48   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Go here and read this. I think you would be making a big mistake by not insulating a metal boat. Condensation is caused by 2 things, not enough insulation and not enough ventilation. You can ventilate a boat well enough so that insulation is not required, but not efficiently or comfortably...

http://www.setsail.com/dashew/hull_insulation.html

hth
Deep
Depends on the temperature. People in BC who thought they could ventilate enough to eliminate the need of insulation , ended up living in an icy igloo for the winter, and eventualy gave up and insulated well. It simply doesn't work in cold climes.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote