Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2008, 19:24   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Mercruiser Corrosion Protection Ripoff

A friend of mine has a Cruisers Yacht that Had a 3 Year Corrosion Protection Warranty. The following problem was found about a month and a half after expiration.

I checked out a blown Riser Gasket and found the Aluminum Manifold Stud holes were "shot". The original dealer is out of business...the new owners are less than helpful...they will supply one manifold....no labor/boat must be transported to their yard (even though they have service vehicles).

They will not even consider looking at the other three manifolds.

And we wonder why some folks don't trust yacht yards/Mechanics

Fer cryin out loud....bite the bullet and stand behind your product instead of arguing days or a coupla weeks

I did not post the names of the Current or Former Dealers...because I think that violates the "flame law"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 19:34   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
If the warranty was something offered by the manufacturer I'd contact them directly instead of dealing with the new dealer. On the other hand, if the warranty was something offered only by the now-defunct dealer I'd say the new owners are at least making a decent gesture, because the contract (which is, after all, now expired) had nothing to do with them at all and they really have no obligation whatsoever. With the cost of parts and marine labor these days I really can't blame them for not being willing to pick up the whole tab.
I mean, if you had bought a new car from a Chevy dealer and also purchased, say, a paint protection warranty which he offered as an add-on, if that dealer went out of business would you really expect to be able to just trot into a different Chevy dealership a couple of months after the warranty period had expired and get your car repainted? I don't think so!
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 20:14   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
This is the Mercruiser Warranty......
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion