Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 08:43   #1

MD22L Volvo Engine - Replace or overhaul

Hi

I'm running a 393 Beneteau with MD22L, 5000 hours. Boat is 10 years old. This season its been burning oil - a fair bit. I've sought advice from boat users & mechanics and the replies are mixed. Some say just do an overhaul. Others suggest a replacement engine. Replacing will cost around 10,000euros, a complete overhaul about half that. It probably seems more cost effective to replace the engine since this is a business boat. However, some have even mentioned that this engine should go on for another 5000 hours before requiring anything like a full overhaul. One dealer suggested a replacement engine as the aluminium will be stressed and therefore not cost effective to start adding new bits to a potentially dodgy block.

Has anyone else come across this dilemma? Is 5000 hours alot? What do most people do at this stage of use?

Thanks

Chris
chriskef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 15:38   #2

Re: MD22L Volvo Engine - Replace or overhaul

This is a very old post with no answers, but I'd be very interested to know what people think.

Has anyone reading this overhauled or replaced an MD22L, and if the latter, with what, and how did it go? I realize that the answer depends on the boat, the gearbox, etc, but any experience would be interesting and could be very helpful indeed.

Thanks!
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 16:44   #3

Boat: Switch 51
Re: MD22L Volvo Engine - Replace or overhaul

This is a very very old post with no answers, but I'd be very interested to know what people think too!!
I plan to replace my old broken MD22L engine by a D2-50 with 130S saildrive. Do you have any advice?
ORAORA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, overhaul, volvo