Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2008, 16:06   #1

Mattress

Hi,
I am about to get a boat from my cousin and was wondering what some people had done regarding the sleeping areas in their boats. It's a 23.5 foot sloop and the sleeping area below is (obviously) shaped like the front of the boat. My girlfriend had offered to do some sewing for some mattresses to fit the space once i measured it out. are there any recommendations for foams and the fabrics to cover them that are mildew resistant and water-proof/resistant (cheap would be nice too). I'm really new at this and would really appreciate any suggestions you may have for me. and if this has been addressed already, please consider me a newbie and help me get to the right thread please :P.
thanks,
mike
Khamles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 19:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The things to consider would be:

Fabric must be marine compatible. That means no natural fibers what so ever. They all mold or mildew in short order. You can do a lot with a mattress but it needs to breath. The best mattress I have found is a multiple layer of foam materials about 5 to 7 inches. The bottom layer being a firm foam and the top a memory foam. The other is to get in touch with marine mattress vendor that can make an inner spring mattress to fit.

For mattress covers the price can be significant but one material that can be cheaper is anything that is 100% Olefin. It won't absorb water in the fiber. Marine fabrics usually have a anti mildew treatment that makes a difference. Just be sure you avoid all fabrics that have wool or cotton as a component. If you think fuel prices are high foam prices have done even more increases. I have not tracked it recently but it had already shot up one and a half years ago when we redid ours.

You do not want a waterproof material. You will wake up feeling like you wet the bed. Bedding needs to breath to feel comfortable. To test it out lay a sheet of plastic under a bed sheet and go to bed. You'll be able to tell soon how it feels.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 21:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Go buy some fabric from a canvas maker who makes cushions for boats. That's exactly what you need.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 03:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See mattress ventilation products, such as:
DRY-Mat: Anti-Moisture Mattress Ventilation Layer anti moisture anti condensation mattress ventilation dry mat
DryMesh: Marine Bedding - DryMesh
etc ...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 04:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
We looked at several materials for our small boat. We ended up with a nice blue fabric designed for garden furniture cushions. It is fabric, scotch-guarded but not quite sunbrella - we opted for this because we regularly have kids aboard and we are reularly wet below decks.

For the foam we opted for a higher density single layer foam of 2 inches - it is basically water proof stuff, black and looks to be made from a "rubberized" foam rather than the stuff you see sponges made from. Given the choice to do it again we would have opted for 3 inches as it's not as "giving" as we'd like for sleeping comfort.

The previous cushions were a nicer fabric type material and had zippers sewn in to remove the covers for cleaning. The reason we have new cushions is because we removed said covers for washing and they shrank - LOL

We opted for no zips on our new cushions. So far (6 months) they are wearing well and look like new. I have slept on them many times but not near as often as the kids who tend to sleep at some point during every sail. Throw down a sleeping bag and the thinner foam is not an issue.

We had them made by a cushion guy as there is the curve of the hull as well as the angle the hull makes on the vertical and we didn't want to have to mess with it.

The guy was a pro and made templates for the 3-piece v-berth cushions, one 6 foot 2-piece port berth, one 12 foot 3-piece starboard set that extends back through the quarter berth.

So all up 5-berths were done at a cost of around US$800
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 05:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A popular subject, this.
See also, some of the many previous discussions at:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ces-12533.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...erth-3291.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rgh-12865.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ress-1317.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rial-9495.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ress-3039.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ress-6922.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ions-1480.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 20:01   #7

Thank you to all of you, I now have a lot of good information to think about. Thanks especially to GordMay for the links to the related topics.
mike
Khamles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 20:03   #8

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
We've gone to the Froli Sleep system to make our mattresses in the V-Berth more comfy, as well as get good circulation. Pretty amazing, really:
Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC
Old 28-05-2008, 08:06   #9

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsaloft View Post
We've gone to the Froli Sleep system to make our mattresses in the V-Berth more comfy, as well as get good circulation. Pretty amazing, really:
Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC
We saw this at the boat show but were a bit dubious about it. So it works as advertised?
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 02:21   #10

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
What ever happened to hammocks for the ratings? For the tropics they are hard to beat.
I used to like sleeping on the trampoline under a mosquito net under the stars-
Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 14:15   #11

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
The Froli actually *really* works as advertised! We have both been stunned at the increase in comfort (we have the standard 2" cloth covered foam v-berth cushions that just hurt to sleep on). With the Froli installed, we gained 1.5" in height in the mattress, all of which is free air flow. The damp musty world between the mattress and the wood that I'd feel in the morning is gone. The comfort is truly fantastic. I am a mattress snob --- in my land world, I swear by tempurpedic, and we were going to spend the $$ on that, but could not figure out how to get good ventilation so the foam wouldn't set against the wood and trap moisture. I'm totally sold on the Froli system, and was very very dubious at first. My other half came home with it from the boat show, (note: it comes with a fully money back guarantee if you don't like it!!!!) and said, "let's just try it before we spend lots of money on a mattress." I don't feel a need to change out the cushions now.

It was an all around win: She was right, I don't have to spend $$ on a fancy mattress, the moisture issue is solved, and it is a very comfy bed now. Can't ask for more.

Scotte - if you come to the China Camp gathering, come aboard and try it out / see it in action!