Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2010, 17:23   #1

Masthead Light Photovoltaic Switch...

Hi all,

Over the last few days my OGM masthead anchor/tricolour light has started acting strangely. The light has a solar sensor which turns it on when the ambient light is low and off again in daylight. That's what is supposed to happen anyway.

Unfortunately, lately the sensor has been turning the light off successfully, but once evening comes around it doesn't turn the light back on. The only way to get the light to work is to flip the breaker off and then on again *after nightfall*. This is annoying, because if I want to leave the boat at anchor and go ashore, I will have no anchor light unless I return after sunset, switch it on, and then go back to shore.

What could be amiss? Does anyone have any experience with the actual workings of such a light? Any thoughts are appreciated!
svlilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 18:20   #2

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
How old is your light? I don't have the tricolor, just the anchor light, and it is so far still working OK after nearly 4 years. My other OGM lights have all been **** and stopped working long ago because of water intrusion or ??? Could be corrosion due to water intrusion has finally got to it. One solution is to buy a BEBI anchor light LED Anchor Light-Waterproof & Rugged for Marine RV and Offgrid Use an hang that from your backstay for when you go ashore. This is actually much more useful for avoiding dinghies, pangas, etc. Or get a Lopolight per the latest recommendations in Practical Sailor before the rest of the tricolor fails.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 03:14   #3

The light is about four years old, so age is likely to be a factor. Did you ever try making repairs to your lights?

Getting a low hanging spare light is an excellent idea. I'll look into it. Thanks!
svlilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 05:38   #4

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
The other lights I had were discontinued by OGM and they refused to have anything further to do with them since they were out of warranty by a couple of months. You may have better luck with the tricolor/anchor light if it is the same as the current model. 3+ years was the failure age for the bow and stern lights, so it is about the time to worry and go check my anchor light again. I believe the tricolor/anchor light uses very similar design and technology and is subject to the same leakage/corrosion issues.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 08:16   #5

Such irony doesn't get past me...when I left sailing over 10 yrs ago the same type problem existed with masthead lights! You mean to tell me with all of the advancements in 'lighting' such as LEDs, low power drain,etc; no one as been able to come up with a series of lights that doesn't leak?
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote