Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-04-2011, 07:06   #1

Boat: TMI 30
pirate Mast, Sails, and Place to Install 'em

So, I may be crazy (there's plenty of evidence to suggest that) because we plan on buying a boat this weekend that's been moored for over a year in a river off the coast of SC. It's a good deal (it seems) and a great starter boat for our family. It's just missing a mast and sails (plan to buy used). Basically, we'd like to be able to sail as far as the Carribean for the next 5 years until we finish building our catamaran. I don't want to put any more than about $2,500 in it. Does this sound reasonable or am I overlooking some very basic road(sea)blocks? My main mission right now is finding a cheap DIY boatyard that we can motor to. I think we can get everything squared away within 3 months. Anyone know of any in SC/northern GA? This seems to be a fairly expensive area...
Thanks!

Old 14-04-2011, 07:12   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mast, Sails, and place to install 'em

ROFL..... B'yards are expensive evrywhere...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 07:13   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Mast, Sails, and place to install 'em

Welcome Aboard and enjoy CF

No mast and rig. I hope it was a real good deal.
Could run into a big in comparison to the cost of the boat.
What happened to the original rig?
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 07:23   #4

Yeah, yeah...I get it. Owning a boat is expensive. But we're creative people open to off the wall ideas...just need a crane and a place ya know?
Forgot to mention it's a TMI 30. Have no idea what happened to the first rig. Plan to find out. I see this same boat going for 20,000 in good condition. This one was going for 5,500, now 2,500. Good deal, right? Right? (can you tell I just really want this to work?) Just here for help brainstorming some constructive ideas. Leave the rolling on the floor laughing to the guy we're buying from, yeah?
Old 14-04-2011, 07:30   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Sounds okay as log as no other major problems.
Hope you can find a rig cheap. Sails used are easy to find.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 07:30   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR2beans View Post
So, I may be crazy (there's plenty of evidence to suggest that) because we plan on buying a boat this weekend that's been moored for over a year in a river off the coast of SC. It's a good deal (it seems) and a great starter boat for our family. It's just missing a mast and sails (plan to buy used). Basically, we'd like to be able to sail as far as the Carribean for the next 5 years until we finish building our catamaran. I don't want to put any more than about $2,500 in it. Does this sound reasonable or am I overlooking some very basic road(sea)blocks? My main mission right now is finding a cheap DIY boatyard that we can motor to. I think we can get everything squared away within 3 months. Anyone know of any in SC/northern GA? This seems to be a fairly expensive area...
Thanks!
How big a boat?
How many in your family and what ages?
How much sailing experience?

Assuming a 30'ish boat, $2500 seems low just for the mast even used, let alone standing rigging, sails and other outfitting for offshore sailing. Used mains with 30-35' luff run $400-1200 at Atlantic sail trader. Lets say you spend $700 to get one that fits right. You also need a Jib, genoa, drifter and storm job. Wire rigging and DIY terminals are going to run you better part of $2k unless you learn to splice wire in which case count on about $1k.

I'm not saying don't do it sounds like an OK deal moneywise, but outfitting is going to be more than $2500 unless you get lucky several times. The mast and boom are the big issues.
Old 14-04-2011, 07:39   #7
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mast, Sails, and place to install 'em

Sorry for 'Rolling and Laughing'.... was because I remembered a coupla or three or my own ventures along similar lines and the optomistic haze that settles over reality sometimes... man some folks are touchy...
As for TMI... not a clue what that is...
Have you considered going Junk Rig.... it eliminates the need for standing rigging and the mast is very simple... sails can be self made easily along with full battens...
an efficient cheap and often very attractive rig..
Piece of cake shorthanded and extremely child friendly if you have youngsters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	junk_rig.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	26142   Click image for larger version

Name:	junk_rig_s1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	26144  

Click image for larger version

Name:	colvin.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	26145  
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 08:01   #8

Oo, I like that Junk style! Not sure my partner would go for it....
And yes, that price range was counting on getting lucky every step of the way, hehe. I want to be able to sell it for close to what we put into it in 5 years time. We both have lots of experience with on-land construction/remodels on a tight budget...hoping that translates to this project.
Old 14-04-2011, 08:18   #9

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There are marine salvaged yards in St.Pete, St Augustine and elsewhere. Most have used or even new masts and booms. Some are on Ebay. Good Luck. BOB
Old 14-04-2011, 10:56   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

If you find a good stick or one a bit longer then you can use it and order new standing rigging. S/h sails are available depending on the type of rig you will have.

2.5 is not a lot but should be OK if the boat is not big and if you come across a decent s/h stick.

b.
Old 14-04-2011, 11:01   #11

If it were me, I'd try to have a mast and boom lined up before I bought the boat.
Old 14-04-2011, 11:35   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

You could always build your own mast and boom. There are instructions in one of the Pardey books.
Old 14-04-2011, 14:04   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Mast, Sails, and Place to Install 'em

In my humble opinion, the only time that mast building is rocket science, is when you intend to sail the boat like its a rocket ship.
Any number of boatyards will have a rack out back somewhere for broken spars which have been replaced as insurance claims, etc.
Get one from an oversized boat, and strongly splice it. I would bet that an eager and honest rigger or boatyard manager, (they DO exist) would even give some advice to help make some bucks.
I can assure you, if you were in the boatyard that I use here in Bermuda, I could show you a selection of spars from 30 to 60 ft that could be good cruising rigs.
Just don't try for any trophies.
Old 14-04-2011, 15:02   #14

Thumbs up Re: Mast, Sails, and Place to Install 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
In my humble opinion, the only time that mast building is rocket science, is when you intend to sail the boat like its a rocket ship.
Any number of boatyards will have a rack out back somewhere for broken spars which have been replaced as insurance claims, etc.
Get one from an oversized boat, and strongly splice it. I would bet that an eager and honest rigger or boatyard manager, (they DO exist) would even give some advice to help make some bucks.
I can assure you, if you were in the boatyard that I use here in Bermuda, I could show you a selection of spars from 30 to 60 ft that could be good cruising rigs.
Just don't try for any trophies.
Now that's some helpful info! Thanks! I'm all about some humble opinions for leads.
I plan to have several viable leads before buying, but I've never needed any more certainty than that before. This whole thing is a pile of uncertainly on a tightrope of dreams.
Old 14-04-2011, 16:04   #15

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Mast, Sails, and Place to Install 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR2beans View Post
Thanks!
Beats me how you're going to do both

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, sails

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: