Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-06-2015, 10:05   #16

Re: mast leaks into bilge- what to address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
My main reason for this is to keep the keel bolts dry and keep mildew away.
I just keep the keelbolts coated with Corrosion X - I suppose WD40 would work just as well.

Old 30-06-2015, 16:01   #17

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
My main reason for this is to keep the keel bolts dry and keep mildew away. My bilge has a heavy epoxy coating so I don't think I'll have osmosis from inside.

Trouble is, my mast sump area (and my mast step is elevated above bilge on a massive stringer structure so easy to isolate) also contains 3 of the 10 keel bolts. One idea I had was to cut 4 inch stubs out of 3 inch PVC pipe and use non-permanent caulk to glue them down around each keel bolt to form a dam around each to keep them dry. Anyone try this?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rather than going to that sort of trouble, just purchase some Denso tape and cover the bolts with the tape. It will ensure they remain like new and free of damp. The tape is then also easy to get off and replace if you ever need to.

Old 30-06-2015, 18:46   #18

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Rather than going to that sort of trouble, just purchase some Denso tape and cover the bolts with the tape. It will ensure they remain like new and free of damp. The tape is then also easy to get off and replace if you ever need to.
Cool. I am not familiar with that tape. Always worry about moisture getting in and being starved of O2- is the tape that good?

I just am being overly careful of course, but the bolts still look new after 28 years. Of course mine is just a 4.75 foot draft low aspect keel/CB so really no fear of it falling off like discussed over on the tragic cheeki rafiki thread.

Old 30-06-2015, 19:00   #19

Duck Tape an many halyard exits as you can reach. I do this when leaving the boat for an extended period.
Old 30-06-2015, 21:28   #20

Quote:
Cool. I am not familiar with that tape. Always worry about moisture getting in and being starved of O2- is the tape that good?

I just am being overly careful of course, but the bolts still look new after 28 years. Of course mine is just a 4.75 foot draft low aspect keel/CB so really no fear of it falling off like discussed over on the tragic cheeki rafiki thread.

Denso tape is perfect for keeping moister out. I've just covered my windlass gearbox and motor in it as my set up is in a deck locker that is exposed to the elements. They use Denso tape for all kinds of things to keep moister out, including the wrapping of the bottom of steel telegraph posts where are buried in the ground. The tape is greasy, and you can push it around with your fingers to ensure water can't get in. It's anywhere between $15 and $25 a role.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:29   #21

Boat: Adams 28, 8.7m

I have a keel stepped mast and it is absolutely impossible for water to come below. I have done what they do in Fremantle, WA. Fremantle is on the Indian Ocean but many yachties want to be able to also go upriver to Perth for regattas and yachting events.(and get under bridges!) The solution is to cut the mast, maybe a foot above its exit, at 45 degrees. Weld a piece of rectangular 1/2 inch plate to each face and bolt the mast in to one piece again. (a hole in each corner of the rectangles) Now weld 4 suitably sized and shaped bits of 1/2 inch plate, 2 above and 2 below the join so that the ends overlap and the previously drilled 1 inch holes are inline. Insert a 1 inch bolt as a hinge pin. Fit PVC conduit from one section to the other for any electrical/navigation cables.Drill a hole in the mast just above the lower end of the top plate as a drain hole. You now have a mast which cannot leak, AND, the stump can be put in the boat as a permanent fitting, never needing to be removed when you want to take the mast down for a paint job, or whatever. No more silly wedges and leaking mast boots. A mast, stepped on the keel where it should be stepped, overcoming a keel stepped mast's biggest drawback.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:40   #22

Boat: Tartan 40
mast leaks into bilge- what to address?

Wow- intriguing idea. Any drawbacks anyone can tell?
Though I have welded on rigid vang tang and a centerboard line that goes down mast from base which would make this inadvisable for me- unless I go higher...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-07-2015, 23:27   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
How about a closer link to the subject? That thread has 24 pages to it.
Yes, and Dp Frz said it's on p. 21, and estarzinger wrote it. How much more do you need to know to find the post?

Ann
Old 05-07-2015, 00:05   #24

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Though I have welded on rigid vang tang and a centerboard line that goes down mast from base which would make this inadvisable for me- unless I go higher...

Splicing a mast at a 45 degree angle doesn't sound like structurally sound prospect. Try a compression post and deck step if you just have to modify ur rig.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:51   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Yes, and Dp Frz said it's on p. 21, and estarzinger wrote it. How much more do you need to know to find the post?

Ann
I guess I'm really new to all this Interweb stuff and didn't see it Actually I just looked again with my crawling slow connection at Bestevaer 49ST - Page 21 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums and still didn't see a method to stop mast leaks.
Old 05-07-2015, 22:29   #26

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...96952980,d.eXY

Good bye internal mast leaks!!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:25   #27

Quote:

Howdie Malbert73,
I have had this mast setup for 20 yrs and removed the mast several times for modifications and a few paint jobs. The stump sticks above my coachroof like an immovable object---no leaks, no movement, it is a permanent part of the boat. I cannot see that there is any other way of having a keel stepped mast which is so totally user friendly. I can lower it myself using my jib pole. It is all positive!! Some guy answered my post but he obviously cannot read properly and did not know what he was blethering about. I would not own an ocean going yacht that did not have a keel stepped mast, and this way of doing it is without a fault.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:53   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrigo View Post
Howdie Malbert73,
I have had this mast setup for 20 yrs and removed the mast several times for modifications and a few paint jobs. The stump sticks above my coachroof like an immovable object---no leaks, no movement, it is a permanent part of the boat. I cannot see that there is any other way of having a keel stepped mast which is so totally user friendly. I can lower it myself using my jib pole. It is all positive!! Some guy answered my post but he obviously cannot read properly and did not know what he was blethering about. I would not own an ocean going yacht that did not have a keel stepped mast, and this way of doing it is without a fault.
Once you have cut the mast to a stump, is it still a keel stepped mast though? Or is it now coach stepped?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:28   #29

In reply to Rustic Charm,
It is a keel stepped mast that happens to have a hinged joint in it above where it emerges from the boat. This joint is a solid fixture, obviously, when the four bolts are in the face plates.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:48   #30

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrigo View Post
Howdie Malbert73,
I wouldn't dream of making a modification like this without having a lot of engineering done on the results. You've significantly changed the stresses in the mast due to the stiffening, stress concentrations, etc. Of course, the actual bolt stress, fatigue, etc. would also need to be calculated.

If the mast was already significantly overbuilt, you might be fine. Some masts would not take kindly to this.

Maybe you had somebody do this, I don't know, but if not you've taken a risk. I'm glad it's worked out for you so far.

What are the features of a keel stepped mast that are so important to you and which are preserved with this hinged arrangement but not with a compression post?

Tags
bilge, leaks, mast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: