Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 14:47   #1

Mast and Chainplate Corrosion...

Good day CF Folks!
I've been lurking around this forum for the past few months gathering information and research for my advancement in my sailing passions, BUT I've finally decided to man up and register! I'm really excited to be a part of such a involved and passionate community. Looking forward to sharing my life experiences with you guys. Besides all of the introduction hoopla and sailing background, I'd like to ask a few questions about a vessel I recently inspected. The boat is an O'Day 280, built in 1989. From my research on the vessel was one of the first intermediate open water cruisers built from O'Day that many people could spring to purchase. (Still searching far and wide for the owners manual). Essentially, the boat has been sitting up for the past two and a half years in a fresh water bayou. The Louisiana humidity has been eating away at everything inside the cabin. The wood is completely warped, mold in the lining, and my main concern, the mast has a good amount corrosion right where the hull and the mast meet. The engine was just reworked. New fuel filters, injectors, and runs on a dime. I'm looking for something right around this size to support my soon to be wife and myself (+2 AWESOME Bengal cats) for trips from Louisiana to Florida and on through the Islands. It'll also act as my mobile office until I can put some real money and life into a legitimate cruising vessel. Thanks for your time and advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ctmpphpRKKoLq.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	29029   Click image for larger version

Name:	ctmpphpreihuf.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	29030  

Name:	ctmpphp7JVukS.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	29031   Click image for larger version

Name:	ctmpphp8hpaHj.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	29032  

I too carol the sun, usher'd or at noon, or as now, setting, I too throb to the brain and beauty of the earth and of all the growths of the earth, I too have felt the resistless call of myself. Walt Whitman

Annrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 14:56   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Mast and Chainplate Corrosion...

So, what were your questions?

The corrosion in the picture is not of the mast, but of the compression post between a deck stepped mast and the keel. It can be welded, repaired replaced fairly economically. At least that's what it looks like in the picture.

The bulkhead in the bow needs to be replaced.

Did I get the questions right?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:06   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Best things about small fiberglass boats is that they can be repaired and rebuilt fairly easily. Most of the interior wood is for cosmetic purposes - except if there are tranverse bulkheads that run from one side to the other near the main mast. These hold the fiberglass hull from "canoeing" inwards as the rigging pulls up on the sides of the hull while the mast pressed downwards. But they all can be fixed, replaced or whatever quite easily.
- - Hopefully for a boat this size (28 feet) you should have paid next to nothing or nothing to acquire it. So your costs to re-fit it are your only expenses.
- - I would suggest making use of various "plastic" construction materials when possible and reduce the amount of wood you use. Starboard/Kingboard and other fiberglass sheeting works fine and is not subject to moisture rot.
- - Also you can purchase "kitchen counter laminate" sheets in Home Depot or other warehouse hardware/home centers and use it to replace wood wall paneling. The white laminate sheets greatly increase the "light" inside the boat and are easy to clean with a damp rag or some 409 spray. Try to get rid of as much wood inside as you can.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:09   #4

Boat: Moody 42
I believe that boat did have a keel stepped mast.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:12   #5

They make mast steps that allow you to cut off the bad portion of the mast and fabricate you a raised step to compensate. You send them the piece of mast that you cut off and they'll custom make it for about $400.00 IIRC.

And don't tell everyone about our cats. They'll all want one. Do yours bark, play fetch, and take showers with you? Mine does and he loves it.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:13   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I believe that boat did have a keel stepped mast.
Okay, when I first looked at it I thought it was a steel compression post from the coloration of the corrosion. Then I looked again and wasn't sure if it was steel or aluminum. It still looks like the mast and mast step could be easily repaired though.
Old 28-06-2011, 15:16   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great looking cat. Mine wont hardly drink water, never mind have a shower...
Old 28-06-2011, 15:26   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bill--is it an ocicat??isgorgeous!!!! almost as cool as bubba..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:29   #9

Quote:
bill--is it an ocicat??isgorgeous!!!! almost as cool as bubba
Nah Zee, It's a Bengal cat. Part Asian leopard cat (feral) and domestic. Lotsa fun. Can jump about 5 1/2' straight up. Almost to the top of the door.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:34   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
Nah Zee, It's a Bengal cat. Part Asian leopard cat (feral) and domestic. Lotsa fun. Can jump about 5 1/2' straight up. Almost to the top of the door.
so is even more fun than my mere maine coon mix beastie-- wow what an awesome critter.....does it fish????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 17:00   #11

Cujo greatly appreciates the advice. All he asks now is for a treat or a small-medium sized fish. Haha That's awesome info. Constructing a mast step, for a metal worker, shouldn't be too difficult. Excellent news! Agreed, the entire rest of this project is cosmetically possible to address. More questions to come. As far as Bengals hunting/fishing, hell yes! I think if they were hunting for themselves, anything from a nice and shallow stream or inland freshwater pool with some life, they'd obtain some excellent survival skills. Then on the hunting on land end of the spectrum, frogs and bugs all day long. A little training, you could have them in a assistant rabbit catching position in no time! Becoming and hunting your prey is an interesting feat. Should be fun to do one day with the bengals. Thanks again people! Sry to spoil the untapped Bengal secret Bill. Here's to a beautiful afternoon! Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-608179548.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	29046  
I too carol the sun, usher'd or at noon, or as now, setting, I too throb to the brain and beauty of the earth and of all the growths of the earth, I too have felt the resistless call of myself. Walt Whitman

Annrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 17:14   #12

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
They make mast steps that allow you to cut off the bad portion of the mast and fabricate you a raised step to compensate. You send them the piece of mast that you cut off and they'll custom make it for about $400.00 IIRC.

And don't tell everyone about our cats. They'll all want one. Do yours bark, play fetch, and take showers with you? Mine does and he loves it.
I'm not really a cat person but I could be for one like yours.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, mast, chain plate