Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2016, 10:47   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Marine Surveys

Was discussing these with a co worker and after researching it, apparently anyone can call themselves a marine surveyor and go into business surveying boats. There are No governing laws or rules what so ever in the US. This is pretty Scarry, and eye opening. I had assumed to legally perform surveys you needed certification or accreditation etc but you don't. Guessing its no difference in other countries or do some regulate this?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 10:55   #2

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Marine Surveys

As far as I know, it's the same here (Netherlands) tho I never checked into it.

There's one guy I trust to survey a boat I'd take on an ocean crossing, and since we're a tiny country, he'll drive anywhere I may find a boat. He'd also fly out wherever, but that could get a little expensive
Old 22-01-2016, 12:53   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

True but.... Look for those with degrees in Naval Architecture and/or Marine or Mechanical Engineering. At the least they should be accredited by NAMS or SAMS (both require exams and continuing education). In the US they should hold ABYC certifications in Standards and Electrical Systems at the very least. I can recommend a few who are excellent, personal recommendations are the key.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 05:20   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

If a surveyor is lying about accreditation or really being a surveyor how hard is it to lie about a college education?
The problem with referrals is some of the brokers are in collusion with them to help get a boat sale done.
The best advise is go to SAMS or NAMS website and search for the surveyors name. If its not there, they are probably lying and best to move on, and also ask lots of questions about their experience and if they have E&O insurance.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 05:40   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Like most business transactions, caveat emptor. Besides checking NAMS and SAMS and listening to recommendations from others (be cautious or even beware of those from the sellers' broker), you have to do your own due diligence as in any transaction. Call and talk to prospective surveyors, get a feel for what they do by asking a lot of questions, inquire about background, training and credentials, ask for references (and follow up and check these), and above all, ask if a prospective surveyor has ever done a survey on the model boat you are buying. Boats are very different. Finally, ask for a some samples of surveys, especially for one done on the make or model you are buying. Matters concerning privacy can be blacked out, and you can get an idea whether your survey will be just a listing of equipment and serial numbers or a learned analysis of strengths and flaws in addition to the equipment listing. Good surveyors are proud of their work and will gladly share it with you. Do your homework and caveat emptor.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 05:57   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
Like most business transactions, caveat emptor. Besides checking NAMS and SAMS and listening to recommendations from others (be cautious or even beware of those from the sellers' broker), you have to do your own due diligence as in any transaction. Call and talk to prospective surveyors, get a feel for what they do by asking a lot of questions, inquire about background, training and credentials, ask for references (and follow up and check these), and above all, ask if a prospective surveyor has ever done a survey on the model boat you are buying. Boats are very different. Finally, ask for a some samples of surveys, especially for one done on the make or model you are buying. Matters concerning privacy can be blacked out, and you can get an idea whether your survey will be just a listing of equipment and serial numbers or a learned analysis of strengths and flaws in addition to the equipment listing. Good surveyors are proud of their work and will gladly share it with you. Do your homework and caveat emptor.
Advice is spot on...

That... And...

Stay away from SCAMS accreditation....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, survey