Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2017, 18:10   #46

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop
Re: Marine surveyor liability. Opinions, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I think that's called ... competition
I think the point is that he did not have insurance which is part of the sentence and you left it out – that's hardly fair to the poster.

Old 26-08-2017, 18:31   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Gill View Post
I think the point is that he did not have insurance which is part of the sentence and you left it out – that's hardly fair to the poster.
A pill just for you .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lighten up.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	154863  

Old 26-08-2017, 20:02   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
A pill just for you .....
Silly of me to take you seriously, ya just never know ...
I'll take note.
Old 26-08-2017, 21:17   #49

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Slight thread drift warning!!

I've had a few boats surveyed, and had a few that I was selling inspected as well. On a medium size cruising type yacht, the surveys typically took 3-4 hours to complete (exclusive of preparing the report). In too many cases, a very considerable part of that minimal time is spent doing trivial tasks, things like noting the serial numbers of installed equipment, counting fire extinguishers and noting their expiry dates, counting PFDs and so on. Frankly, I do not need a skilled professional to do these things. I'd much rather that he spend his time doiing things that I can not do like inspecting rigging, doing detailed hulll inspection, checking tabbing in inaccessible places, looking carefully at wiring and fusing, checking for ABYC compliance in various systems, and so on.

So, for you surveyors following this thread, is there a way that a customer can direct your efforts along such lines? I doubt if I will ever need to hire a surveyor again, but should I do so, I'd like to get him to do w hat I want, not what his blank form says he must do.

I'm sure that there are many of you who routinely do the things I feel necessary. I've not had the pleasure of meeting you yet, but would sure like to!

Jim
Old 27-08-2017, 00:18   #50

Let me second that !
I had the good fortune and luck to find one who pretty much meet that criteria in La Paz, Mex. Before doing any inspecting , I felt he was taking my measure followed by a cursory look at the boat (I needed a survey for ins. coverage) then he asked me the many perfunctory questions you mentioned, wrote them down and preceded with the inspection.
Turned out he was somewhat of a legend,Cecil M. Lange, I mention his name as he is no longer doing surveys, although according to others he's said that before, but at age 95 I tend to believe it this time. The conversation alone was worth the cost.
Old 28-08-2017, 07:18   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I do not need a skilled professional to do these things. I'd much rather that he spend his time doiing things that I can not do like inspecting rigging, doing detailed hulll inspection, checking tabbing in inaccessible places, looking carefully at wiring and fusing, checking for ABYC compliance in various systems, and so on.
Couldn't agree more. From my "Scope of Survey" statement in my reports .....

The vessel is surveyed as found. Loose gear and accessories are neither inventoried nor inspected.

From my "Safety Equipment Section" in the reports .....

Safety equipment that is not integral to the vessel or permanently installed has been neither inventoried nor inspected by the surveyor. The Transport Canada “Safe Boating Guide” lists safety equipment required on this vessel and should be consulted.

I also don't write down serial numbers, I photograph them and transpose them when I'm back at my desk.
Old 28-08-2017, 15:40   #52

Boat: Roberts 25' Adventurer

I just think it's absolutely shameful that the marine industry is continuing to operate like this in 2017. I'm regularly hearing about shoddy workmanship, blasè attitudes, never ending deadlines, excessive charges, poor customer care and surveys that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Even if the maximum you can hope to get is only 5k i would still sue the hell out of him. It would be a big wake up call. Anyone who thinks they can go into business and take other people's hard earned cash and then think they can excuse themselves from being competent by drawing up terms and conditions like you mentioned deserves to sweat it out in court!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Greg Shakeshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 16:03   #53

Boat: Volkscruiser

You are right Jim, it is a waste of time counting life jackets etc. I ignore items like that when doing surveys. Often what the seller lists as lifejackets are really just mouldy blocks of foam stuffed in a locker and forgotten about. I cannot be bothered getting into a discussion about whether they are any good so I just concentrate on the more interesting parts of the vessel. I check that the safety gear is in date and leave the rest of the loose stuff.
I once was asked to do a full inventory and survey on a yacht that was being sold privately. When the buyer picked up the vessel it had been stripped, the deal had been done on a handshake and very little was in writing. The buyer had been conned by a very cunning seller!
Cheers

Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, marine, survey, surveyor