Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 18:47   #31

I took the day off to work on my deck. Instead of grinding the gel coat off I decided to peel it with one layer of fiber glass. O M G. Some of it comes off very easy, some not so much. no soft spots found but the foam core is very wet....not sure how to dry it or of it even matters. once I get the top resealed it will eventually dry out any way won't it?
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 04:53   #32
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Marine Plywood for Deck

Yes it matters and no, it won't eventually dry out. Now is the time to sort it out (ie dry it out). Others more experienced might chime in with the best ways to do this in your part of the world.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 06:38   #33

Drilled a few holes around perimeter yesterday and let out a bunch of water! hooked up shop vac and got out quite a bit more. Supposed to be in the 80s today so I'll let the sun bake out some more. Anyone think there any benefit to trying the epoxy resin like some do with wood cored decks. There doesn't seem to be any soft areas.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 10:18   #34

Re: Marine Plywood for Deck

Not sure wet deck core will ever dry out without exposing some openings, hot sun will just condensate the water on the fiberglass inside. I could picture maybe coring some holes underneath with a 1.5-2" hole saw (cutting out glass only) in a pattern, just leaving it for a season... maybe it would dry out decent. (leave hatch open when not using boat for ventilation) or better yet install a dehumidifier when not boating! Maybe it would dry out...? Then glue the little cirlces back in and inject epoxy through drilled holes in the top. Inject until it comes out some holes drilled in the bottom. Then seal each hole as the epoxy starts flowing out.... just a thought...?
PS: good way to see if it's dry is drill a 1/4 hole, scrape the core off the drill bit spirals, and squeeze it between your thumb and fingers. If wet, water will appear.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, plywood