Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2019, 20:33   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Marine ply or PVC paneling?

I'm ripping out the interior of my Columbia 10.7. There were several leaks and lots of the paneling and trim was damaged by water. So, I've been looking at various types of replacement materials and found some PVC beaded paneling at Home Depot. It looks good and would be maintenance free for years and I'd never have to worry about water damage again.

But, I'm concerned about outgassing of PVC in a living space over time and whether that should figure in on my decision. Almost all man-made materials outgas something. Marine plywood would be one alternative. It can be stained or painted but all types of treatment would produce some negative side effects.

Would PVC be that much worse?
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 21:06   #2

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter
Re: Marine ply or PVC paneling?

yeah, vinyl is pretty bad. but the compounds are volatile so a few weeks of sunshine and fresh are will get most of it out. your nose is actually pretty sensitive to them so if you cant smell it anymore most of the bad stuff is gone. im using the beadboard from lowes as a new headliner but i am trying to find a no-voc paint/lacquer to overcoat and seal it up.
my .02
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 21:17   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

If its non-structual then you don't need marine ply. Regular ply will have gaps in the inner plies, but that isn't important for non-structual.
The hard shiny white panels that are used in showers etc can make a nice interior if you trim lightly with varnished teak.
Old 15-01-2019, 21:48   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I just googled ""PVC Toxicity" and got

Is PVC toxic to humans?
PVC contains dangerous chemical additives including phthalates, lead, cadmium, and/or organotins, which can be toxic to your child's health. These toxic additives can leach out or evaporate into the air over time, posing unnecessary dangers to children.

Wind River is doing the deck on his yacht and he is using a board that is a replacement for Plyboard. It is a mixture of glass and resin. (I don't think the product is sold in Australia)

Maybe you could look at his thread which he posted within the last two months? I don't know whether this is the product.
https://www.machinedesign.com/plasti...native-plywood

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 22:25   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Couple more links

https://www.madamerougebistro.com.au...r-plywood.html
www.ybw.com › Forum › Forum › Practical Boat Owner's Reader to Reader
marine plywood + alternative material - Yachting and Boating World

Nov 12, 2005 - 2 What alternative material could I use in place of marine plywood, which ... if you used cheaper plywood with fibreglass over both faces you ...Plastic alternative to plywood - YBW.com
4 May 2017

plywood deck covered by grp - Yachting and Boating World
30 Mar 2004

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 00:49   #6

Might want to check on the glues used in the plywood any sealants around the seams and any paint you use...

My bet is they have just as many issues.

If you have "sensitivities", a fiberglass boat is probably a poor choice as a home. Otherwise the PVC paneling is intended for use in buildings that include human habitation.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 01:03   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We chartered a small Bavaria before buying our yacht. At the end of the chater we washed down the boat but forgot to close a side window, the inside was drenched. I am glad that the interior was plastic, moulded to look like dark wood. Half an hour with a damp cloth and you couldn't tell anything had happened.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 01:34   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

What about outdoor sign writing panels? It’s aluminium skin both sides with plastic core and is about 3mm thick. The aluminium is painted gloss white. We lined our yacht with it and it has lasted well.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 01:35   #9

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Whatever the OP chooses, consider the weight. I’ve been stripping trim panels from my boat since I bought her. I’ve easily removed 200 kg of trim alone.

Plywood is lovely light stuff if used carefully and as noted above, it does not need to be the horribly expensive marine variety for what you are doing. My non-marine ply decks lasted 40 years before they needed replacing.
Old 16-01-2019, 10:04   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
If its non-structual then you don't need marine ply. Regular ply will have gaps in the inner plies, but that isn't important for non-structual.
The hard shiny white panels that are used in showers etc can make a nice interior if you trim lightly with varnished teak.
Even good quality exterior grade ply will work. I've been refitting the interior of my 1978 Morgan Out Island and discovered that ALL the bulkheads are actually exterior grade (I could still read the stamp in a few places). What they did was glass in all the exterior grade bulkheads and then skin them with thin teak ply where it showed! Kinda strange but after 40 years of abuse (boat sat with water in it for a while before I got it) I've only found a few areas with Rot that needed repairing.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 10:28   #11

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Might want to check on the glues used in the plywood any sealants around the seams and any paint you use...

My bet is they have just as many issues.
Indeed. Mobile homes used to be famous for a strong odour of formaldehyde. It came from the wood ply paneling and glue used to apply it to the framing. Avoiding plastics is not really the solution to avoiding fumes from various building materials.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 13:20   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Even good quality exterior grade ply will work. I've been refitting the interior of my 1978 Morgan Out Island and discovered that ALL the bulkheads are actually exterior grade (I could still read the stamp in a few places). What they did was glass in all the exterior grade bulkheads and then skin them with thin teak ply where it showed! Kinda strange but after 40 years of abuse (boat sat with water in it for a while before I got it) I've only found a few areas with Rot that needed repairing.
I did some installs in a large plywood factory back in the day. They used exactly the same glue in the panels that got stamped exterior as the ones interior. I think it was just easier as they produced different types of orders.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 13:27   #13

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

The bathroom lining stuff is great. Totally water resistant and it's available in different finishes. It's made of (I think) phenolic resin same as some pcb's and laminates. About its only downside compared to the equivalent thickness of ply is that it's heavier in weight.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 17:37   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I've been using Komatex here and there on the boat. Said to be non-toxic.

Full sheets of 6mm (1/4") run about $35 USD.

I've even put Teak veneers on it.

A lot lighter and no slivers.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 18:16   #15

Boat: Westsail 32

How are you guys attaching the headliner(whether pvc or foam?) Just bought a boat that has plastic sliding door vertical shades as headliner! I was toying with doing Pine or Cedar tongue and groove but as good as it would look and no condensation untreated I'm worried about weight. Thanks John
Acadia Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine