Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 11:38   #16

Re: Marina: we want to move you and you're paying

This threads are good to read for this newbie. I was not aware that boats got "shuffled" like so many of you say, at least not for those not having work by the yard. Moving a boat has risks so I would assume that they would want to minimize that.

As for the "well you extended it"" crowd, no he did not. It is their yard, he asked if he could and they agreed and gladly took his money without telling him he would have to move in a few months. So if they want to move him it sounds like it is within their rights, but to charge him for it? Y'all are crazy!
Boathooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:07   #17

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
So get back in quick, and sail out of the place. THEN TELL US WHO THEY ARE! so we can all steer clear.
If you want to take it further you still can, but your boat won't be in jeopardy.
I do want to get out, but i don't agree that it's proper to publicly bash a place. If you're in the Northeast and curious, PM me, but it's not nice to post their name for everyone to see over a small disagreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
2) You have a dry storage contract for the summer season. You're now extending into the winter haul out season. They can't leave you in the back and box you in. They can't move you to the front and try to work around you while they're storing boats. Also keep in mind, when they inked the deal with you, you agreed to be gone by now. Now you're extending the contract, AND you're in their way.
Absolutely, but I got hauled into an almost empty yard, i could have been put anywhere, but they put me in this spot. I let them know months ago, when the yard was still empty, long before the first boat pulled out for the winter, that i needed to stay until November, and they didn't say a thing except how much they wanted to be paid for the storage fee, and I paid it promptly.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My take-home message is that it's not normal to be billed when the yard wants to make space, but there's probably no point being upset. It's just money. I can go to a different yard next time where I am treated like a customer not a cow.
Vengeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 14:48   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeful View Post
I do want to get out, but i don't agree that it's proper to publicly bash a place. If you're in the Northeast and curious, PM me, but it's not nice to post their name for everyone to see over a small disagreement.

Absolutely, but I got hauled into an almost empty yard, i could have been put anywhere, but they put me in this spot. I let them know months ago, when the yard was still empty, long before the first boat pulled out for the winter, that i needed to stay until November, and they didn't say a thing except how much they wanted to be paid for the storage fee, and I paid it promptly.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My take-home message is that it's not normal to be billed when the yard wants to make space, but there's probably no point being upset. It's just money. I can go to a different yard next time where I am treated like a customer not a cow.

Excellent attitude.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 16:34   #19

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I do want to get out, but i don't agree that it's proper to publicly bash a place. ...... it's not nice to post their name for everyone to see over a small disagreement.

It didn’t read like you thought it was a small disagreement, and you’ve already bashed them, anonymously, which is dead easy. But without knowing who they are nobody benefits.
I understand you just asked if it was normal, and you’ve got your answer. But it’s no good now complaining about how you have been treated, if you aren’t prepared to follow through and do something about it.
They must have seen you coming, so why should they therefore ever change their attitude to their “customers”?
Old 10-11-2015, 17:00   #20

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

It does not take being around boats very long to realize there is a season when demand often exceeds supply. Basic economics teach us when that happens the friction in rationing goods and services increases when that happens. I have seen things like this happen. If a marina/yard has a good customer who returns year after year it should come as no surprise that the marina/yard gives that customer priority over someone they may well view as a transient who may never return to the yard.

Not saying I like this or think it is fair; just that it is the way the world works.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:53   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

As long as the XXX$ is not exorident, my guess is you should pay it. That's only based on you having asked to extend your stay. They could have said get out we have a repeat customer booked for that spot.

Causing ill will may not be sensable since you are on their hard and may need their cooperation in the future.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:35   #22

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

How about reaching a compromise? It is worth a try. I can see both sides of the story here. You extended the contract multiple times, priority customer, on and on.

Try and approach them with "mia culpa, and can we split the cost of the move?" You might be surprised at the response. That way no one loses face. They made a little jing and you didn't lose what they asked. As far as boatyard hijinks this one is pretty mild so don't get your dander up...try to get a compromise..
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:42   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you made an agreement (in writing or documented in some way I hope)with the yard to extend until the end of November, so specifically until Nov 30th you have a contract with them until that date. Unless that contract has some exclusion that allows them to move the boat at their convenience AND charge you and they want to move you before the agreed date then you have a case.

If you don't have a written contract or a way to document a verbal contract or the agreement was not specifically until the last day of the month then you may be SOL.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:49   #24

Boat: Outbound 44

Had similar thing happen to us about 7 or 8 years ago. They wanted $400 to move me because we were not ready to launch as expected and they needed to get a boat out that was behind ours. In the end a bottle of Scotch to the right person settled the debt!
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:03   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Maybe your mistake was paying up front. I had an old boat yard owner, put an arm over my shoulder and say, "Son you never pay for something till you get it.". I guess I'm about his age then so will pass it on.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:46   #26
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lacoste 42 SE - Beneteau 50

Are we arguing $100 or $1000. Somewhere in between everyone decides which side they are on. Speak to the Marina - see if any of your concerns can be addressed - Forget the principle - move on, finish your refit, launch your boat - and go sailing. You can ponder what was "fair and just" at anchor with a cocktail, a sunset, and companionship ( a dog ) later. Life is short !
DMBOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 15:08   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeful View Post
Hi all,
Sorry to make my first new thread a negative one, but I have a question of best practices and etiquette.

I've been refitting my boat on the hard. I hauled out at a Marina I haven't been to before. I should have felt a little strange when they said "we're too busy launching our customer's boats, we can't tell you what day we'll haul," but I said "hey, my boat is only 28 feet long, not high dollar, i understand, I'll wait for the big Beneteaus even though I'm a customer, too."

So, in May i got hauled, and said I'd like to stay until the end of August, paid in full up front and got to work. In July I realized I wouldn't be done and asked them to extend the contract until the end of November and paid in full in advance again.

Yesterday at 5pm they called and said they must move the boat today. They left a voicemail "sorry, we have some bad news, but we have to move your boat to make room for a big boat. The cost will be $x per foot, or $xxx. We will move her tomorrow."

I called back, said I needed more time, as the boat is not ready to move. They said I can have 1 more day, but no, they can't tell me where they will move me to or where I can put the sawhorses, cases of paint, etc to be out of the way in the meantime. I try to be pretty understanding, but I didn't choose this spot, they put me there. The word in the yard is that the guy they're putting in the spot paid extra for it because it has a 220v hookup, and he gets put there every year.

So, they double-booked the flight, I got bumped from it, and I have to pay the fee.

Whew, sorry for the long post. Has this happened to anyone before? Would you pay up and keep your mouth closed? I'm wondering if I should be putting up more of a fuss.
Same happened to us at River Bend in Miami. They charged us to move our mast - twice. Both times they chose the storage spot.

Our current facility, Torresen in Muskegon Michigan are the nicest, most accommodating folks. No problem changing any in/out times. If the boat (58 feet & 36 tons) is in their way, they call and ask if I mind if they move it.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 17:52   #28

Boat: Gozzard 36

read your agreement with the boat yard ---if it says $X dollars for Y period then that is it ---the right of the boatyard for any extra charges must be somehow stated in the contract --if not then they can't charge you ---if they insist on payment and you want to make a fuss about it then pretend you have 'lawyered up' a bit and give them a cheque for the moving charges but with 2 things (1) write on the cheque 'Paid under Protest' and (2) accompany the cheque with a letter from you to the boatyard stating 'the enclosed cheque for $X is paid under protest and without acknowledging the validity of your demand for payment of same for (state reason) or my waiving in any way my right to recover same" ....that way they can't 'hold' your boat from being put back in...things will undoubtedly get interesting after that --you could also ask them if they had heard of something caled "Yelp" ---sounds like it could be fun if you don't let yourself get too torqued up about it---PS: make sure you know where you are going to move your boat to before you start to escalate things .
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 22:34   #29
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boathooked View Post
This threads are good to read for this newbie. I was not aware that boats got "shuffled" like so many of you say, at least not for those not having work by the yard. Moving a boat has risks so I would assume that they would want to minimize that.

As for the "well you extended it"" crowd, no he did not. It is their yard, he asked if he could and they agreed and gladly took his money without telling him he would have to move in a few months. So if they want to move him it sounds like it is within their rights, but to charge him for it? Y'all are crazy!
In a situation like this, it is important to look at the situation from both perspectives.

For the boat owner, the original agreement deadline was passed. A request was made for an extension, it was granted, and fees paid. All is well.

For the marina operator, the original agreement deadline was passed. A request was made for an extension, it was granted, and fees paid. All is well.

Now, there is a new issue. The boat needs to be moved to accommodate the needs of the marina operator.

I would politely approach the marina operator and advise that you wish to cooperate with them to meet their needs to serve customers, but this move was not accounted for in your budget. Will they waive the fee for the move, as you have to pay for launch in 2 weeks?

If you approach it like they are trying to screw you over, and get rude, they most certainly will treat you badly, as you are behaving badly. Just talk to them politely. If you've already burnt that bridge, then chalk it up to your education, pay the fee, and be nice next time.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 23:33   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

As others have said, boatyards move boats around all the time -- it's normal procedure. You don't acquire the right to any particular space and you should cooperate with them.

It sounds strange that you should pay for the move, however. What does your contract say? Is it for moving or for re-launching you? If it's really for moving you, and there's nothing in your contract about it, then I would politely argue with them about it. If it's in your contract, then pay it and forget about it.

Word to the wise: Make friends with the people who run your boatyard. You depend on them in a million different ways. Be grateful for what they do for you. If there's any little way you can make their job more pleasant or easier, it will pay off for you in spades (plus you'll just feel more comfortable being there). I love my boatyard guys and am always really happy to be there. They help me in so many different ways, and I reciprocate however and whenever I can, even lending a hand from time to time.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote