Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2015, 17:23   #1

Boat: O'Day 40
Manual Bilge Pump for O'Day 39 & O'Day 40

After 18 months of searching I've found a replacement for the Kempax K504/5 pump made by Raritan.
The valves on mine had lost their flexibility and I couldn't find any to match and the exposed cover was brittle and ugly.
I found it after seeing a catalogue shot that looked similar. An email to SPX Sweden resulted in an email from the Customer Service Manager in Illinois that gave me the new model number of the old Kempax.
The Canadian distributor had no stock and I didn't want to wait 10-12 weeks so I found 1 in stock at Pump Vendor. They shipped quickly and now I have a Johnson 70-50005 Viking pump.
The only differences are longer inlet/outlet tubes for better clamping and black coloured plastic parts. Replacement parts are also available.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:53   #2

Boat: ODay 34
Re: Manual Bilge Pump for O'Day 39 & O'Day 40

I have a malfunctioning Kempax pump (O'Day 34) and have disassembled/cleaned/inspected all the components with no discernible defects found. Bench testing shows that the outflow flap valve doesn't seat well preventing a vacuum from forming on the inlet side.
  • Sealing the outlet port opening during downstroke produces good vacuum
  • Submerging both ports in water while pumping generates good aspiration and ejection.
I haven't found replacement parts easily online - Hallberg Rassey site has them but costs more to ship than to buy! Johnson Viking lists the pump on its website but local distributors don't have the pump or parts.
https://www.spxflow.com/johnson-pump...-and-bulkhead/
I'm considering placing a check valve on the outlet side to correct this. Has anyone tried this or have other thoughts/suggestions?
Also considering the Whale Smartbail as a replacement if it comes to that, but worry about the durability of the cover/handle unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kempax replacement.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	287101   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	287102  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0666.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	287103  
WaltUnsalted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:23   #3

Boat: O'Day 40
Re: Manual Bilge Pump for O'Day 39 & O'Day 40

Why don't you just buy 1 from pumpvendor.com?
They show stock.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump