Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-07-2012, 19:09   #106

Boat: 31' GRP Folkboat
Re: Manitu's project: Finessa 33

Thanks for the kind words , all of you. I'm mostly all right now , just ocational headdaches. If any of you ride bikes , google "leatt STX neckbrace". Whithout it I might ended up as a wheelchair sailor..

Sails: I got a smaller jib wich looks better and newer than the genoa, but I haven't tested it yet. What I don't got is a downwind sail. I'll sail a lot shorthanded and even singlehanded , so a spinnaker is out of the question. Maybe an asym, but might be too much work when singlehanding.

And a main wich I understand how to use.. I haven't sailed much , one summer with a laser dingy in my youth , and last summer, crewing on a Elan 37 and a Bavaria 33 (mostly running around the mast with the genoa). But both used loose footed mains , and I want one too. The main on the pictures actually have one set of reef points , but I don't think it belongs on this boat. The boom has to be at the top of it's track , if the headboard is to reach the black marker at the top of the mast. The foot of the sail is a foot shorter than the boom too.

I got my eyes on a used sparcraft boom with two reeflines and outhaul. Should work nicely with a new loose footed main it the correct size.

The same seller got a Hood seafurl ld 810. I understand that this is an old thing and two lines needs to be cleated if partially reefed, but it fits my budget and seems robust.

edit: Yes,no vang. Once I get rid of this rotating boom **** , It'll be there. Come to think of it, comes one with the sparcraft boom.. It has to be worth 300$.. I'll call him tomorrow!

edit2: The rail: there is still a 1 1/2 inch rail left if I remove the teak. I might add a aluminum rail with the stanchions , not shure yet.
.manitu

Old 28-07-2012, 12:00   #107

MILESTONE!! First post, posted from the boat!!

I'm back south, and I'll be living in the boat for a month or two , cruising the norwegian coast!

I've just mounted the outboard engine , next step is to get the ICE out and the genset in.
The electric motor will have to wait util I'm home.

I'll post some pictures , just have to get settled in , and unpack my camera.

.manitu

Old 28-07-2012, 12:05   #108
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Congratulations!!
Old 03-08-2012, 15:41   #109

Sorry to keep you waiting for pictures , been busy days. When we moved the boat from the place she spent last month , we gou run down by a thunderstorm and 3-4 meter waves. Standing on the windward side by the shrouds in the screaming wind is the most fun I've had in ages.(fun behind the rudder too). Lost my phone to poseidon though.. could'nt find my car keys either so had to get a new made. Mental note: NOTHING in my pockets when sailing , exept the VHF and a flare(wich has their own pockets)!

Only problem is that she wants to go off the wind creating quite bad weather helm when close hauled. I'm not shure if this is because of bad main trim , or just a rotten main...

I'll try to post some pictures soon , Now that I'm online with a new phone. Cant run the generator now , late at night , so it'll have to wait until morning at least..

.manitu
Old 03-08-2012, 15:53   #110

Boat: grampian 26

Bad weather helm? Check the mast rake.
Old 03-08-2012, 17:00   #111

Yeah, the rig is just thrown on the boat.. I'll do the rig as soon as this wind's gone.

.manitu
Old 03-08-2012, 18:09   #112

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
The wood pieces you are looking at in the bilge are called floors. I see the glass around one is cracked. That means a lot of pressure was exerted there and under the glass is soft. I'd replace that one for certain. It doesn't mean that the others are bad. If they are wet with salt water its ok. If they are wet with freshwater they might not be ok. You have to drill into each one and look at the wood that's extracted. If the wood looks ok other than being wet it should be alright.
Only replace the ones that need to be replaced. If the keel bolts look ok from the outside it doesn't mean much. You have to pull a couple to see what it looks like all the way along its length.
The reason there was no filler where the keel bolts are is to allow access to the keel bolt nuts. An easily removable putty filler would be ok there but you don't want to glass them in just in case you want to remove them later.
Good luck in your repairs.
It looks like a great boat and I'd leave everything as it is for the first season you sail and see how she performs. Don't change anything other than do repairs. There is a good reason why boats are designed the way they are and many owners get carried away with changes and eventually wished that they'd left them the way they were.
kind regards,
Why not simply turn the bolts around so the nuts are in the bilge? That way you can replace the bolts, fill the nut access pockets in the keel solid with thickened epoxy. That gives you access to check the torque of the nuts in the future and to drop the keel of you ever need to.

Good luck. She looks like a great little sea boat.
Old 03-08-2012, 19:22   #113
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaWriter View Post
Why not simply turn the bolts around so the nuts are in the bilge? That way you can replace the bolts, fill the nut access pockets in the keel solid with thickened epoxy. That gives you access to check the torque of the nuts in the future and to drop the keel of you ever need to.

Good luck. She looks like a great little sea boat.

The keel pockets would have to be deeper than the bolts are long! Otherwise how would you insert the bolts in the holes from beneath?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:17   #114

Hehe, the keelbolts.. I cut the bolts half an inch above the nuts. When I retorque the bolts, I can grind the top of the bolts to fit a wrench.

Nowdays the focus is on the rig, deck/hull joint, and the living space will get some attention to (met a girl on the bus, who lives close to the harbour).

.manitu
Old 02-10-2012, 19:30   #115

Hi folks. It's been some time since my last post , but time flies when having fun.

The old plan , to sail the boat up north har been properly scrapped.

You see , I managed to shanghai this girl I met , on a one week trip down the sweedish coast. we sailed around between the islands, getting used to the boat.

As it turnes out , she liked the sailing so much , she will crew the boat to Amsterdam, at least.

Right now we are back in Viker harbour , on the swedish/norwegian border, preparing the boat for departure.

The last picture shows the boat together wit a boat called "Birdie 32".

Only problem.. I've used a month to get my home rented out.. still got stuff at home to sell.. and november is coming fast..
The plan was to cross from sweden to denmark at Gothenburg, sail through "limfjorden", and down the west coast of Denmark. But I seriously consider to sail down to Copenhagen , then the Lubeck - Elbe canal to Hamburg.

A safer trip I think, this close to winter.

.manitu
Old 04-10-2012, 12:01   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Hejsan!

This season, unfortunately, we were not there! Very happy to see you, the lady and the dog all happy.

Sailing Goteborg to Denmark or Germany all easy till end of October - but DO keep very sharp eye on the forecasts and time you passages accordingly!

Kramkram,
b.
Old 04-10-2012, 20:24   #117
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Again, congrats! First a boat, now a girl. Perfect time to go sailing!
Old 06-10-2012, 14:47   #118

Just to clarify, The boat is mine , the girl aint'.
But she's the most adoreable crew I could hope for.
Head smart and a quick learner too.
And she's got a mini poodle , so there's company for the boerboel too.
So I quess you understand that I'm looking forward to the trip down south..

.manitu
Old 06-10-2012, 15:04   #119
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
Just to clarify, The boat is mine , the girl aint'.
But she's the most adoreable crew I could hope for.
Head smart and a quick learner too.
And she's got a mini poodle , so there's company for the boerboel too.
So I quess you understand that I'm looking forward to the trip down south..

.manitu

Careful, she'll end up "yours" in no time if you take her sailing! You should probably glom onto her anyway, female crew who can and do go sailing are priceless. I'm sure the Boerboel feels the same.

I would really like to get out that way sometime myself. We hope to take our boat home to Finland sometime in the future. Who know's, maybe we'll see you around. Have fun!!
Old 07-10-2012, 17:53   #120

I'll do my best, you bet.

Again thanks for all help, all of you.
Some of you in particular , you know who. This would not have happened this year without you.

Only thing we are waiting for is the offshore suit and portable VHF for her, + autopilot for the boat.. Lots to do tomorrow..

Come to think of it ,this thread has started to drift off topic. Maybe I should start a cruising log in a more appropriate subforum.

Now , back on topic:

The autopilot.. The cocpit is narrow, so I don't think the tiller-pilot will fit inside the cockpit without a connecting piece (tie rod?) between the tiller and the pushrod on the pilot. But this is often done on outboards steering, so I should be able to make it work.

The cabin roof.. I'm cutting a plywood piece and hull-liner to fit the flat part of the cabin roof. It will hold the cabin light, flush mounted multi-LED, + two red LED night lights. I've got a big roll of hull-liner and contact glue for the job. Getting a smooth finish on the part of roof not covered by the plywood should be doable. Only thing wich worries me is how to cut it around the windows.

I know I should get new plexi and rubber seals for the windows but until I get the rent next month, the budget is tight.

By the way , I guess I should try to remove the old paint from the cabin roof , right?

Well , time for bed , loong day tomorrow.

.manitu

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: