Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-08-2013, 15:47   #166

Boat: 31' GRP Folkboat
Re: Manitu's project: Finessa 33

Hi folks! Months has passed since the sailboat was my main focus , now I'm back in the boat for a while.

I'm finally deemed fit to work after the crash, not quite 100% yet , but getting there.

The boat..
Got the Geonav 11 installed , with a garmin GPS17 mushroom antenna and a Arimar P79 sounder. Navionics 2007 maps for all of Europe.

I'm in the process of replacing the inboard engine.. Got the "new" engine on deck, the old engine in the saloon..
The new engine is a Universal model 12, 1986ish. This is kind of an oddball here in northern europe, at least in scandinavia, but I guess it's more common in the US.
The base block is a Kubota, same as Nanni and Beta , so both Nanni and Beta raw water pumps/heat exchanger/exhaust header fits. and kubota parts are cheap and easy to come by.

Tomorrow, I'll have to get a seawater filter, a wet exhaust muffler. I guess I'll need a anti-siphon bend for the sea water intake, and maybe one for the exhaust too?
But first I'll have to try to clean out the engine room.. :-/ The old engine mounts are much closer to the centerline than the new one. the new engine is a lot shorter too.. So, I'm mounting two 1/4" steel plates over the original engine mounts, to mount the rubber mounts for the new engine. The old engine had the mounts much lower on the block , and no rubber mounts.

Engine control.. I got the original panel from universal, with broken tach and water temp gauge. I don't know if the amp gauge works.

I allso got this brand new panel from a Nanni 2.10, same base engine.
this panel has no gauges, just diodes for oil,water temp, glow plugs and battery.

my plan is to fire up the engine on the old panel, just to check it out before i start modifying. Then I would like to use the Nanni panel, I like the turn-key glow-plug and start better than the two button start on the universal panel.
I'll add a tach and a water temp gauge, as I think I'll have to change the temp sensor for a temp switch if I want to use the nanni panel without gauges.

Don't know if the amp gauge is worth the hassle, cabling the charge current through the panel..

I got limited funds for now , so only essential stuff will be bought for a while.

.manitu

Old 13-08-2013, 15:44   #167

The engine is in!!

Only thing left is to line up the engine/axle , and drill the holes for the engine mounts. Didn't have any help , so I had to use the boom to get the engine in. When it was allmost there , the boom lift snapped , the boom found the back of my head , and I was holding a 200 pound heavy engine alone!
Luckily, I managed to aim for the engine bed and not just drop it into the bilge.

Another thing.. If you ever go to Sweden and have something else than Volvo Penta in the engine room , bring spares! I'm just waiting for a new impeller from sherwood , before I can fire up the engine.

Well , I'm heading for the bunk now , gonna dream about engine "noise" (music!)

.manitu

Old 04-01-2015, 16:26   #168

Hi folks!

Long time since I posted here last, I broke my camera when I installed the engine, and this thread came to a stop.

The engine eventually got in, but the boat stayd in Goteborg last winter, while I spent most of the time in Norway.
The whole boat-thing had become a pain in the a**, and life forced me to prioritize differently.

Late spring 2014 I went back to goteborg, got the boat ready and sailed/motored it up the swedish coast to Hvaler islands.
It was 7 glorious days of sparkling sunshine, mostly calm seas, and the boat behaved beautifully.

I even met a friend from last time there, a german named Helmut, who sail the swedish west coast half the year, every year.

I got some new equip in the boat: a Raymarine ST70 network display, connected to a Airmar P-79 sounder and the autopilot.
Allso got an electric toilet with 45liter holding tank and a heater fan wich runs off the engine coolant.

I Havent done much to the boat, other than buying the bare essentials, wich easily could be transfered to my next boat.

Because, lets face it: even if the boat was next to free, nothing I could do with it would make me any money.

So I have sailed it "as is" this summer and had a lot of fun, sailing,diving and fishing, with friends.

But it has left me wanting a bigger boat... So now Im hunting bargains because I cant afford a boat wich is ready to sail. But no way in hell am I going to take on another project where everything needs work and all equip has to be bought, even for free.

So, Im looking for a 34-39" boat with good sails and rigging, bad electrics, and a motor with good compression wich for some reason other than the injection pump, doesnt run..

But.. what to do with the present boat?

I have come in contact with a wooden boat building collective, and has access to all kind of woodworkers equip. I have been promised help exchanging the toe rails, wich is the ugliest part of my boats exterior, and I can make new hatches for the boat.

If Im planning on getting anything for the boat I should do some work on the floors I made before launching the boat over two and a half years ago. The repair is sound, no sign of water intrusion, and the keelbolts are tight as ever. but two of the floors are not exactly level. easy fix.

I allso need to mount the toilet and construct a bench around it.

I know It is a bit of work, and I would probably not get that much for it anyway, but at least it will make the boat saleable. If I get 6000$/5000E, Im happy.

As it will most likely cost me money to get rid of it, and the equip I could keep is worth about 3000$ + the work I could put in this winter, 4500$ would be the minimum, not to loose money compared to scrapping the boat.

So.. Scrap it or not? Ive kinda grown fond of this little boat..

.manitu

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: