Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 12:18   #151

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL
Re: Manitu's project: Finessa 33

Yeah , my headstay is terminated with an eyelet in each end. But the price on the Facnor unit? 300$ with 12 meters of one piece profile!! Should be able to get the wire terminated in a compatible fasion for less than that , and it'll still be cheaper than that "1/3 of a furler" unit.

Only thing Im worried about is that this should be either a SD100 or SD130 unit , and the SD100 is max 6mm headstay..

.manitu
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 13:45   #152

Strange.. All other stays on the boat seems to be 5mm.. only the headstay is 7mm..
Is this normal? I could just excange the headstay with a 6mm stay safely , I think.
It may be time to change it anyway , have no idea how old it is.

What do you guys think?

.manitu
Old 04-11-2012, 17:08   #153

Boat: a sailing boat

1. A unit that has been in service for a time may de facto be slightly lose in joints - may allow for the 7 mm wire - check what wire bearings it has - I noticed the plastic ones tend to get worn overtime and this may allow you to stick to your 7 mm wire. Will the owner let you try out?

2. Yes, wires can be of varied diameter. It is normal. If the designed forestay dia is 7 mm then the only way to go 6 mm is if you use dyform - and then only with prior check on its compared BL.

3. I bet your top shrouds are not 5. If they are, I bet they are slightly undersized for your displacement and righting moment.

Just loose thoughts, not fixed facts.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 17:27   #154

I thought the rear stay should be of similar diam. to the headstay.. but maybe not.
All other stays are 5mm. I dont know, does not seem to be too much "designed" about this boat anyway, more like "lets take what we have"..

Ive looked at the drawings of this system , and I could use a drill to enlarge the holes in the plastic bushings that go inside the foil , I think. as long as it is a SD130, I'll buy it. worst case, I'll need some spare parts.

Biggest problem is the big eyelet at the lower end of my headstay , but I'll get it refitted with a proper terminal.

.manitu
Old 04-11-2012, 17:40   #155

It may be difficult to drill - you will have to disconnect the foil elements for this and remove the bearings. May be a pain in the lower back - sometimes the locking bolts freeze, etc..

It may be difficult or expensive or both to get spares. Think this over / check online / before you jump.

Be watchful about your top shrouds, if they are 5 mm - the wire may be strong enough but the terminals and backing plates may give you trouble, if they are 'undersized'.

Our ship is 30 sq m SA and about 4000 kg heavy, 2.7 beam, what size is yours?

Our standing rigging: fore: 6 mm, tops: 6 mm, backs (twin) 2x5mm, lowers 5 (two a side) 5 mm, inner forestay (removable) 6 mm. The lowers gave us quite some issues though.

b.
Old 04-11-2012, 17:53   #156

The boat is 31ft not 33, 8ft beam, about 3300kg. I drowned my computer at the incident, so I dont got the rig measurements now , but these from C&C redwing 30 are really close.
I=35.00ft (10668mm) J= 11.50ft (3505mm) P=30.00ft (9144mm) E= 13.50ft (4115mm)

"I" is too big , about 33-34 ft is more correct same with "P" , should be 28-29 ft..

Masthead with fore and aft lower shrouds, all exept headstay is 5mm..

edit: by the way, the profile is in one piece, 12 meter...

.manitu
Old 04-11-2012, 19:49   #157
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

6mm should be more than adequate for a 31' boat. My boat's original rigging was 1/4" (6mm) head and back stays and cap shrouds. Lowers were 7/32" (5mm).
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:06   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
T( ...) 8ft beam, about 3300kg (...) "P" , should be 28-29 ft.. (...)

Masthead with fore and aft lower shrouds, all exept headstay is 5mm..

edit: by the way, the profile is in one piece, 12 meter...

.manitu
Hmmm. Ask a pro rigger. My personal assumption, based on my own boat, is that your top shrouds (5mm) may be on the fine side of the spectrum.

edit: the 12 m piece is normally made up of 6 x 2 m (or else 9 x 1.5 m, etc.) pieces or something like that, the individual pieces are joined at the bearings, secured with screws or rivets,

Not to say a single 12 m extrusion does not exist. But shorter pieces joined to make up the long foil are far more common (think transportation).

Remember if you go for a furler you will pay for having your sails converted too.

And not all hanked sails lend themselves to getting converted to furler either.

Step lightly.

b.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:40   #159

The foil is 12 meters long , the sole reason why he has not sold it yet , and the low price. Remember , it is the original furler from a Hanse 312, Guess that's why.

The top shrouds are actually 6mm.. took a proper measurement today.

About the conversion.. I lost my big genoa the other day, It was a piece of junk anyway, so I need a new one.. And I think I'll find a good used one as a spare quite cheap too, lots of used equip around here. I'm thinking about adding longer soft hanks to the yankee I got , to go around the profile.

Today , I finally had some luck. When I collected my mail , I saw a car..

Got meself a 7mm sta-loc terminal wich is just screwed on.. If only I've known..
It costs the same as one third of the furler though..

This guy was super cool , drove me to his supplier , and to the bank , when I realized that he did not take VISA.

So.. if the headstay will not fit, I'll cut it in two or three pieces , and buy the 7mm plastic connecting pieces for the profile.

.manitu
Old 05-11-2012, 17:07   #160

Staloks are not cheap but are re-usable - make sure you got spare cones (the cones are not re-usable) and formers (I busted one). Follow assembly instructions - you will need some Loctite and some sika-thing.

b.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:02   #161

OK...
It was'nt a facnor at all.. It's called z-spar Z600F... Please tell me I did'nt buy some crap..

And.. It's 6mm headstay only.

The profile is U-shaped with an open rear end , one sail track on each side of the opening. And you "snap" it on your headstay, with some plastic bushings between.

So.. Got three choices.

1: Get a 6mm headstay.
2: Overhaul it and try to sell it for a profit.
3: Make thinner bushings and thread the wire through before mounting the STA-LOK.. There is space , but it will probably not "snap" off and on , so I have to remove the STA-LOC to take it off again.

But it is in good shape , exept two industry-standard SS bearings.

One thing.. I got a 12,5 meter profile strapped on to 9,4 meter sailboat.. I'll have to be careful when arriving in goteborg tomorrow..

.manitu
Old 11-11-2012, 15:25   #162

Hi folks! We have arrived in Goteborg , currently staying at the Goteborg royal sailing society. Man , they have some fine boats here. on the parking lot there are 4 Open 40's , and a bunch of dinghy's and keelboats of all kinds , both on water and on the parking lot. I'll have to see if I can score some crew-time here!

Me , the dog and the 12m profile arrived without any trouble , a bit nerve-wrecking when we crossed the busy shipping lanes into town, that's all.

Does anyone have some experience with Nasa Clipper instruments?
They're a lot cheaper than any other brand, wich makes me worry a bit , but at 170$ for a masthead wind sensor, and 150$ for a compass sensor , they're hard to beat. Will also get a Nasa Clipper BM-1 battery monitor for 160$

The depth sounder will cost a bit more , Think I will go for the Echopilot Bronze, at 'bout 750$. Expensive, I know , but a normal sounder is next to useless in these waters , it is seldom deeper than 5 meters here, so I think a forward looking sonar is worth the money.

I might get a compass repeater and a close hauled indicator later (Clipper), but I get compass and wind readings on the plotter with just the sensors, so it will have to wait.

I'll take some pictures of the furler when I get a chance, but the weather has been lousy since we came here, we sailed into the harbour just when the wind picked up.

Well, I'll have to get to sleep early, trying to find a job tomorrow to expand the boat budget a bit.

Fair winds to you all. .manitu
Old 11-11-2012, 17:49   #163

Hi,

I personally do not like NASA. Yes they are cheaper but I prefer older ST40 from Ray when budget is involved. ST40 is, to me, easier to read, to configure and pretty sturdy too (also different bezel shape which in my boat better fits the available space). Now Ray has a new series to replace the older ST40 so I think there may be some good ST40 deals available around pretty soon.

Forward looking sonar is (IMHO) little help in avoiding bottom surveyor job. I like it for entering shallowing anchorages, etc.. A very pricey bit of kit too.

Have just replaced our tungsten bulb in our tri light. Now we sport a tri-led. 3.9 Watt against 25 Watt. The visual result is just OK - better than a white LED in tri housing but worse than out-and-out LED nav lights.

Have fun, keep on sharing your news.

b.
Old 12-11-2012, 00:44   #164

ST40 would be nice , but at three times the price , and the need for a seatalk-NMEA converter , it's to expensive.

Why do you feel that a forward looking sonar is no good for avoiding the seabed?
As it puts out an average of the 15 meters in front of you , instead of an average of the 15 meters behind you , it should be perfect.. But please enlighten me, I've never tried one of those.

LED lantern, yes.. I'll wait for a pullpit before investing in lanters , but a masthead LED anchor and top lantern is on the list. But first I'll buy the things I need, got old style lanterns with LED bulbs

I'm waiting for a Navionics gold complete europe map , Need a toilet, and the engine.. Lots of money burned there allready
Need some wood for the interior. . And new sails.. It aint free to own a sailboat , that's for shure..

.manitu
Old 12-11-2012, 03:15   #165

The forward looking thing I mean is fine if you are not moving fast - say entering an anchorage on motor. When sailing at speed the warning would be to late to take action.

b.