Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2009, 14:49   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Man Ship Hatches

Just came back from hauling our boat, and walking around the docks, I saw a newly painted boat with Man Ship hatches. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of them. Doing a search, they are Chinese made. Retail, they seem a little high, but they are OEM for some builders, so they can probably be purchased more reasonably. I need to change two hatches that are the access for the propane and sail lockers on the aft deck.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 19:00   #2

Boat: Bristol 29
I have Man Ship ports and a custom made Man Ship hatch on my Bristol. Man Ship manufactures its hardware in Taiwan. They are CE and ISO quality control certified. The stainless is all 316L stainless steel. The ports have tempered safety glass. The hatches are low profile, and configurable for hinge position and latches inside, outside or both. They do really beautiful work. http://www.bluewaterhardware.com/ is a dealer for them in the states. Ask for Scott.

It sounds like you might be talking about access hatches for the propane locker and the sail locker. Bomar makes beautiful aluminum access hatches as well.

Cheers,
Old 13-11-2009, 19:27   #3

Boat: S/V Running Fish - Passport 40
I replaced one of my 24 inch hatches with a Man Ship and I'm quite happy with the quality. My admiral prefers the ease of operation of the original Atkins and Hoyle hatches; with a spring in the hinge and two simple latches, it's a simple matter to open it and adjust its position. The ManShip is heavier, has no springs, has 6 latches, and has a turn-to-lock stop on each of the arms that lock it in various degrees of open, all combining to require more muscle and attention to operate. Occasionally, the admiral winds up with the hatch falling onto her head. I think they now offer gas struts and these may make it more user friendly.

I'd prefer the Atkins and Hoyle hatches but they're so pricey.
RunningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 03:53   #4

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
I have installed various sizes on my steel yacht. All good quality construction. All the usual accessories. No problems - not shonky stuff. Lot of Taiwanese would not think of themselves in the same category as China.
Good website.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 04:11   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440
I sourced the companionway door, cockpit sliding windows and 48" wheel from Manship in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, for my 55ft Schionning cat built in China. They are a small company but do very good work and I wish I had sourced all my 18 deck hatches from them instead of Weaver in NZ which are crap in comparison to Manship.
Go with Manship - you will not be disappointed - they also make furlers and other gear that is branded Hood.
Cheers
Paul
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 16:27   #6

Re: Man Ship Hatches

I replaced 8 portlights with custom made one's from Manship. They fit exactly as ordered. The price was very good, less than Newfound Metals, and the quality was very good. I would fit them again. We are considering replacing the Goiot hatches and would fit Manship.
Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote