Thought I'd update; kitty hair had too short a working time and the epoxy I was using took forever to cure, so rather than bed the plates I took the advice to bend them. A rubber mallet and a bench vice would have been too professional, so instead I used a log of buttonwood and some scrap ply.
The gently rolled plates fit the interior
and exterior of the transom very well, and I bedded the holes and the plates with 4200.
When I mounted the outboard
, however, I could see the transom flex a bit as I put a bit of force on the outboard to move it forward and back. Is this anything to be concerned about, or is a thin solid fiberglass transom similar to a pure fiberglass deck
in that it is expected to flex a bit? Pull the installation and build the transom thicker with epoxy and fiberglass, or monitor
the transom for signs of cracking? The swim ladder that was in place before bore more weight (me) than the bracket is bearing, with less backing, but I never noticed any flexing.
Thanks for the continued help.
Oh, and pictures!
I had to use regular nuts first as I had to thread the nut without the benefit of anyone holding the bolt from the outside, so once the nut was past the tail a pair of channel locks held the bolt in place while the regular nut was tightened. Then I used nylock nuts to hold the regular nuts in place. I was tempted to use aircraft marker to see if any of the nuts would eventually vibrate loose, but couldn't find any. If anyone has a better way of getting nuts and bolts together from inside a hull solo, I'd love to hear it as this was a bit of a pain. I guess one suggestion would be to make more friends and ask them for help!
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum